What Are You Doing To/With Your Car Today?

-
The Dart met it's forever home.

PXL_20201220_192352093.jpg

PXL_20201220_212141297.jpg

Got the driveshaft loop built and installed in my 66 Dart. Now it's time to turn a pile of tubing bends and flanges into a set of log manifolds and exhaust for a big block early A.

upload_2020-12-20_17-6-24.png

upload_2020-12-20_17-6-33.png

upload_2020-12-20_17-6-41.png

upload_2020-12-20_17-6-49.png

Readjusted my throttle cable and kd cable late last night.

Replaced all my heater hoses today... drove it around the neighborhood to the park with my girls. No leaks (that I saw).

20201219_221723.jpg

20201220_173819.jpg

Didn't actually do anything to the car... but looked at the Street Dominator manifold that came in the mail from ebay just the other day - and they sold me a 300-14 (RB) version. Listing showed a 300-10 (B) which is obviously what I need for a low-deck 451. Sigh.:(
They're going to pay for the return postage too, by ebay rules. So I got that going for me, which is nice. :rolleyes:

This trans and clutch project is going well. Waiting on my friends shop on the trans. Yesterday I had so much fun removing the over center spring in preparation for when I can install the trans back in the car. That OC spring better never have to go back in the car. Other than that cleaned up a lot of the mess I made with dirty tools and old gasket material all over the floor so I can mess it up again. Should I have the clutch fork and throwout bearing in place when I put the trans back in or should I put the throwout bearing on the trans and put the fork in place once in? What do the pros do?

This trans and clutch project is going well. Waiting on my friends shop on the trans. Yesterday I had so much fun removing the over center spring in preparation for when I can install the trans back in the car. That OC spring better never have to go back in the car. Other than that cleaned up a lot of the mess I made with dirty tools and old gasket material all over the floor so I can mess it up again. Should I have the clutch fork and throwout bearing in place when I put the trans back in or should I put the throwout bearing on the trans and put the fork in place once in? What do the pros do?
I always clip my throw out bearing onto the fork with the fork in place in the bell housing but you do have to be gentle inserting the input shaft at first and keep an eye on it as you move forward to make sure that you haven't knocked it off the spring. It can be challenging but I've been doing it on my car for 30 years and it's pretty simple now LOL make sure that clutchplate and pilot bushing are all lined up with pilot tool and as the input shaft enters the clutch plate I will wiggle the tail shaft shaft slightly back and forth to help align the splines as it enters the clutch plate.

I always clip my throw out bearing onto the fork with the fork in place in the bell housing but you do have to be gentle inserting the input shaft at first and keep an eye on it as you move forward to make sure that you haven't knocked it off the spring. It can be challenging but I've been doing it on my car for 30 years and it's pretty simple now LOL make sure that clutchplate and pilot bushing are all lined up with pilot tool and as the input shaft enters the clutch plate I will wiggle the tail shaft shaft slightly back and forth to help align the splines as it enters the clutch plate.
I know the clips on the TO bearing are very tight and without the trans in place I'm able to get it back on the fork. Lets just say I'm having a crappy day and one of the clips is not on correctly and the trans is in. Am I going to be able to get it back on the fork without removing the trans? I have it all lined up and ready to go. The alignment tool even had splines on it to match the trans and input shaft. I remember doing a clutch on my first car and the alignment tool that came with the clutch was literally a wooden dowel. Thanks for your answers.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Well I'm actually making some progress now that I have changed direction again! LOL
I decided to quit being a "perfectionist" and just get the car finished and running so I can enjoy what years I have left. I was going to paint it black. Thats not going to happen now. I wanted to get everything just abt perfect. Takes too much time. I'm 75, don't know how many more!

I finished rear hard brake lines and installed new gas tank.

Then today I removed front disc brake setup and am installing my new QA1 front end.
Going to force me to finally get tires as my new disc front requires 15" wheels. I have had 14" on front to roll around.

View attachment 1715649181 View attachment 1715649182 View attachment 1715649183 View attachment 1715649185 View attachment 1715649186 View attachment 1715649187 View attachment 1715649188
my two best friends!
Looks good Mike. keep at it , and you'll be driving it by spring !

I know the clips on the TO bearing are very tight and without the trans in place I'm able to get it back on the fork. Lets just say I'm having a crappy day and one of the clips is not on correctly and the trans is in. Am I going to be able to get it back on the fork without removing the trans? I have it all lined up and ready to go. The alignment tool even had splines on it to match the trans and input shaft. I remember doing a clutch on my first car and the alignment tool that came with the clutch was literally a wooden dowel. Thanks for your answers.
[/QUOTE] yes alignment tool is not much more than a wooden dowel but the correct tool will fit snugly into the throwout bearing and snugly into the clutch disc aligning it properly. I have used makeshift tools and been successful . To answer your question about the throw out spring on the fork if the tranny is installed it's tough if I remember one side can be done but the other side it's too tight against the bell housing to really get in there and fix it, the last thing you want is to compromise or damage the spring because that will cause it to become detached after you get it put back together. Just go slow and continue to check the springs periodically before you bolt anything up. Make sure no linkage is hooked up to the fork and the right fork boot will help support everything as you reinstall the transmission

Last edited:
I have a spare dome light cover if you need one? And you should get a mini disco ball the goes under it. The size of a Christmas bulb. That would be the hot ticket. :poke: The kids would love it.

Haha I have one. It does have a little crack in it from when I was trying to figure out how to turn it on...the little bugger is so fragile. Who would have known you dont press on the dome light to turn it on like normal cars. :rolleyes:

I put it back on while she was in the car since she started using the cover as a frisbee...

Haha I have one. It does have a little crack in it from when I was trying to figure out how to turn it on...the little bugger is so fragile. Who would have known you dont press on the dome light to turn it on like normal cars. :rolleyes:

I put it back on while she was in the car since she started using the cover as a frisbee...
It's a old car. Those things weren't invented yet. Oh Boy. :( Also they were called Cigarette lighters back then. Not charging ports.

Got the 6”cragars for the front mounted up on new BFG’s and had to go for a quick ride last night. Love the look now! So much better than the 7’s. They had too much outer dish.

5CD0049C-BC17-4623-9125-5B2E70A33A1B.jpeg

EBB07431-BBF6-47C8-BF04-B7676BE11BA8.jpeg

A7C48086-D0FC-4EA6-AC80-A0E7AA24EB06.jpeg

E62F171F-DDAF-46B1-86EE-93D36A9D8627.jpeg

F1F49CCC-EDFD-42DD-877A-D324B5013529.jpeg

It's a old car. Those things weren't invented yet. Oh Boy. :( Also they were called Cigarette lighters back then. Not charging ports.

Haha you noticed that... I have used that all of 1 time and I can't remember how well it even worked. I dont need a cigarette lighter either so most of the time that little ash tray door stays shut.

I started to put the full nitrous bottle back in the clamps - and one of the springy stainless bands tossed its t-bolt into that narrow very deep crack between the trunk fill panel and the rear quarter... managed to get it with a thin magnetic probe but then I dropped the probe! Fished that out eventually with a steel wire. Aargh.
Also I found two 3/8" holes that had held the plastic clamps that NOS provided (I didn't know then that metal clamps are required). It's surprising how much fine dirt and dust can get sucked into the trunk when driving on our wonderful gravel roads. Put plastic hole plugs in.
Now just waiting for the 90 deg #4 fitting I need to complete the line from the bottle to the pressure switch/gauge adapter. Last tracked (USPS) in Kansas City four days ago.

-
Back