What Are You Doing To/With Your Car Today?

-
Finished up the welding on the crossmember filler piece today. This was what was left of the original radiator support. I trimmed it back to fit it back in above the new crossmember.

20160904_135444.jpg

20160904_153549.jpg

Been awhile since I've posted anything....so here are a few ranging from July to last weekend. Started as wanting to replace the exhaust and rebuild the 904 (leaked from everywhere) and spruce up the tired /6......
image.jpeg
image.png
image.jpeg
well, then i found an 8 3/4 with a 489 chunk, axles and drums
image.jpeg
Cleaned/repainted it. 489 getting new gears and a true trac soon
image.jpeg

Found a 727 that will need to be cleaned up, and neighbor's brother gave me a shift kit for the transmission.
image.jpeg

So much for driving the car this year! Lol! Guess I'll do that Magnum swap.

reinstalled centerlink with new tie rods, and bought new bolts to bolt down the power steering gear box. All that needed to be removed to install some Hooker Competitions, and even then after installing the headers, it was a pain to tighten down the power steering gear box because of the limited space. Installed mini starter, clutch fork pivot plate and clutch linkage. And today, I finally took the car off of jack stands after a year of being off of the ground. Just need a few more things to fire her up for the first time.

IMG_20160909_162930-01.jpeg

IMG_20160909_162957.jpg

was going to remove the factory radio out of my SC400 and try and replace the cassette belt as well as chase a bad ground in the dash...and on my 65, I took the DIY intake/exhaust off and refitted the heat riser top as it had a gap in it. Then I heard I had to work tomorrow...:-(

reinstalled centerlink with new tie rods, and bought new bolts to bolt down the power steering gear box. All that needed to be removed to install some Hooker Competitions, and even then after installing the headers, it was a pain to tighten down the power steering gear box because of the limited space. Installed mini starter, clutch fork pivot plate and clutch linkage. And today, I finally took the car off of jack stands after a year of being off of the ground. Just need a few more things to fire her up for the first time.

View attachment 1714966708

View attachment 1714966709
I LOVE the look! Are you leaving the body as is or will you paint it? (I vote leave as is)

I need to get over to the storage garage this afternoon and get the Swinger jacked up and take the drive out for new u joints and balance. I have a few small tranny leaks to fix and add the deep pan I got.

Cleaned the throttle body, replaced the spark plugs, ignition wires and distributor cap with pick up on the Dakota. Hope it will rum a little better.

Took the second of my inner fender splash shields out of my molasses water mixture. Rinsed it with TSP water mix, dried it off and got it ready to primer.

20160911_103244.jpg

20160911_103256.jpg

That looks real nice, nothing more then a week in molasses? Good job!
Molasses n water. I part molasses, 9 parts water. I had to prep by removing the undercoat first. The mixture removed the paint too. I scuffed it with a wire brush after i dried it off thats about it. Part has to stay submerged, until rinse time. Stuff stinks pretty bad.

Looks "
clear.png
Like x 3 " new!

Thanks. It leaves any pitted areas as clean pitted steel. The iron oxide ends up in solution in the derust solution. I have sprayed a little of this on my grass. The areas that i have sprayed it seemed to perk up and become a more vigorous color. I guess when it wont work anymore it will be used as a fertilizer in a pump sprayer lol.

I have found that it will pit and eat mopar body bolts, nuts, and clips if left long enough. I tested this out on some frnder bolts and nuts, and forgot them for over a 2 week period, and it ate them. Stamped steel sheet parts , or bumper brackets it seems to be ok.

Heres the cool thing, its real cheap to make, and theres little to no effort involved. Set the parts in the tank, make sure they are completely submerged, and walk away for about a week, rinse with tsp and water mixture, let dry, prep, prime, paint. Heavier pitting may take longer.

Last edited:
Wow, those look better than flash rusted NOS pieces wrapped in wax paper. So is this molasses the same stuff you bake with or is it Blackstrap Molasses? I read that is the stuff in cattle feed..."Blackstrap molasses is significantly more bitter than "regular" molasses. It is sometimes used in baking or for producing ethanol, as an ingredient in cattle feed, and as fertilizer..." This looks a little safer and less harsh than my pool acid dip, and my lawn sure could use some color...

<<<<EDIT>>>> you MUST use "Livestock" Sulphated Molasses. The food grade stuff looks to be unsulfered...$15 for 5 gallons? 8-)

Last edited:
Feed grade molasses. $10 for 1 gallon at tractor supply co. They use it to bait for deer and wild hogs. Once its starts fermenting and getting real nasty after a day or 2 dont get it on your skin as it will take days for the stench to wear off your skin. I'm liking this stuff better n sandblasting. Gonna get a tub big enough for dipping steel wheels, and K frames. Economies of scale $30 will get you 30 gallons once you dilute it with tap water.

Powdered Tri sodium phosphate at lowes in the paint section. A small box about $4 mix 1/4 cup in solution to about a gallon of water. Use as a rinse solution. When you pull the part from the molasses, rinse right away with the TSP and water if you let the part dry before rinsing it will start to flash rust. Once you rinse it off, let it air dry. You should be able to primer it as soon as it dries without wiping down with any paint prep solvents.

Sometimes with heavily pitted areas, i will lift the part out of the tank, after the first few days, and scrub the affected areas with a steel wire brush, rinse, inspect to see whats left rust wise, then lower back in the "primordial ooze" for another day or so until the rust is gone.

Last edited:
Just went for a leisurely drive around town. No place particular to go, just enjoying the cooler temperature and the beautiful sunshine.

Just went for a leisurely drive around town. No place particular to go, just enjoying the cooler temperature and the beautiful sunshine.
Dude, i'm jealous LoL. Really not just joking. Glad you had a nice drive. I will get there too. I am closing in on the halfway point on my project. Eventually i will be cruising around town too.

worked on the "B" body more door today

checked/packed the wheel bearings
inspected brake parts/ changed brake fluid
tomorrow- make a gear ratio change
getting ready for the diesel drags
6bt

SAM_3718_zpsep7leenv.jpg

SAM_3715_zpsrdzlmbzw.jpg

worked on the "B" body more door today

checked/packed the wheel bearings
inspected brake parts/ changed brake fluid
tomorrow- make a gear ratio change
getting ready for the diesel drags
6bt

SAM_3718_zpsep7leenv.jpg

SAM_3715_zpsrdzlmbzw.jpg
Dude that sattellite is freakin cool. Makes me want a more door B body.

Not Mopar but I just finished this customer one... refinish the engine bay, take pin on hood and make it latched/hinged, add tubular suspension & coil over upgrade.

IMG 0885a.jpg

IMG_0910.JPG

IMG_0908.JPG

-
Back