What are your thoughts on this M-Code

-
Car should be perfect for that money, and I see a lot wrong in the engine compartment alone.

IMO the only way it would be worth that kind of money, was if it was an absolutely stock, untouched, unmolested survivor with 5 miles on it. Then, maybe.

Sure its overpriced. Realistically if mint and matching I would peg it at $60,000. Whether this one is or not, pretty hard to say with the limited info provided.

Engine compartment has a few small errors I see, but overall looks correct.

And even if it was worth $60k, why wouldn't you drive it? If you can afford to buy it, I'm sure you could afford to run and maintain it. If it was a Viper would you garage that? Probably not.

Grant

I'd like to see some paperwork from Grand Spaulding Dodge before trying to decide what the real value of that car is. Not all 69 M code Darts were sold there. If it has the paperwork to back up the Mr. Norm claim, it does add value. GSD was the reason these cars existed in the first place and was the only Dodge supercar dealer. Compare it to a Nickey Chevrolet to a degree, the selling dealer adds value.
In recent years I know of at least one M code A-body selling for more than 100k. They DO command money when complete and in good shape. Even more desirable are the 68 M code Darts. All of those are GSD cars.
As for comparing them to the Hemi Darts and Cudas, it's not the same thing to me. There was never a street Hemi version of these cars available. This M code is top dog in street trim.
What would I do with it? Drive it on nice days and enjoy it for what it is.

And even if it was worth $60k, why wouldn't you drive it? If you can afford to buy it, I'm sure you could afford to run and maintain it. If it was a Viper would you garage that? Probably not.

Grant

The problem with a $80k car, is that if you drive it, each stone chip depreciates it by $500. So the people that buy them, hardly ever drive them. Same way with ultra low mileage cars. They command high prices because of the mileage, so as the mileage goes up, the value goes down.

I guess that is true if you're looking to sell the car. But the true value is the experience of driving and enjoying it. That $500 stone chip example could be applied to every restored car on this forum, and regardless of what the "starting" value is, would still be a $500 stone chip!

Grant

Give this some thought. If it was that desireable dont you think the guy would have put it in front of the few people in this economy that had the money to shell out for this type of car? Why didn't we see it on Barrett/Jackson last month. Looks like he's still looking for a fruit cake that's trying to impress a woman that dont give a damn about a Mopar. Those type of people exist.
Small Block

it's a collectible but what would you do with it... climate controlled garage..with two hi end car covers over it ..trailer to shows..drive? put it in your front yard and post pics on the internet and try and sell it...?
all the fun is done.

I agree Jon but some people have that kind of passion (i'm not one of them) and cash to collect fine cars. I rather beat the living daylights out of em, then fix what i broke!

I agree with most of what was posted.....a Dart for $80K? Naw, can't see it.....and like was mentioned, whaddya gonna do with it? Stick it in the garage and worship it? No thanks.

I wonder if Mr. Norm signed it?......lol......I'm starting to get sick of that too.....something nauseating about things that are "too perfect". Seriously.....unless it's in a museum.

I love to have Tom Hover sign my Duster!!!!

Did you see the garage that thing came out of?!?! Each Dart has its own personal bay! That just a giant "pretty" display case for all those cars!

Personally prefer my Carport spot, with the double car covers when it rains!:-D

TWICE A YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFLOL

I love my 340....but.....if I could afford that 440 M car, I would put my car out in the back forty and forget about it. A neighbor built a 440 4 gear Swinger, and it was crazy fast(it ended up on the reserve..bye bye Swinger)

I guess that is true if you're looking to sell the car. But the true value is the experience of driving and enjoying it. That $500 stone chip example could be applied to every restored car on this forum, and regardless of what the "starting" value is, would still be a $500 stone chip!

Grant

Doesnt work that way, because its all relative. On an $8000 car, the stone chip may only be worth $5.

In good times I saw many M-code cars (both Dart and Barracudas) sell in the 60K range. This Dart has the Grand Spaulding connection which may or may not be worth another 15K. That was in good times though, I think times are a little tough now to ask that kind of money for the car. Even people with that kind of money are not spending like they once were.

In good times I saw many M-code cars (both Dart and Barracudas) sell in the 60K range. This Dart has the Grand Spaulding connection which may or may not be worth another 15K. That was in good times though, I think times are a little tough now to ask that kind of money for the car. Even people with that kind of money are not spending like they once were.

THe only thing that made cars sell that high, were car flippers and investors. They saw the market start to rise, so they jumped in, which caused the market to rise farther and faster. Then it became a fad, and everyone had to have one. The real gearheads, got lost in the shuffle. The investors stayed in it as long as appreciation was steep. Once cars began to top out, and appreciation slowed/stopped, the investors pulled out of the market, followed by a lot of the big flippers. The result was prices falling even further, leaving many people who went along for the ride (no pun intended) holding the bag. It was all just an artificial bubble, that will slowly deflate. I wrote an article about this for a local car mag, years ago, although I never sent in the final draft to be published.

Nice but not for me. I want something that I could drive, sit in, touch and not worry about it. LOL

Doesnt work that way, because its all relative. On an $8000 car, the stone chip may only be worth $5.

Have to disagree here. I am referring to restored cars. There are many people here who have performed rotisserie style restos on desirable A-bodies.

If I am looking at a restored car, and it has damage (eg. paint), the cost to fix that problem would be the same regardless of the engine displacement/value. Therefore I would devalue my offer on the vehicle to offest the cost of repair, regardless of the original selling price. Costs the same to touch up the stone chip regardless of the price.

Grant

THe only thing that made cars sell that high, were car flippers and investors. They saw the market start to rise, so they jumped in, which caused the market to rise farther and faster. Then it became a fad, and everyone had to have one. The real gearheads, got lost in the shuffle. The investors stayed in it as long as appreciation was steep. Once cars began to top out, and appreciation slowed/stopped, the investors pulled out of the market, followed by a lot of the big flippers. The result was prices falling even further, leaving many people who went along for the ride (no pun intended) holding the bag. It was all just an artificial bubble, that will slowly deflate. I wrote an article about this for a local car mag, years ago, although I never sent in the final draft to be published.

Yeah, people with money will invest in whatever makes money. The bubble has burst on these cars as it has with housing and many other things. It`s a different world now.

Have to disagree here. I am referring to restored cars. There are many people here who have performed rotisserie style restos on desirable A-bodies.

If I am looking at a restored car, and it has damage (eg. paint), the cost to fix that problem would be the same regardless of the engine displacement/value. Therefore I would devalue my offer on the vehicle to offest the cost of repair, regardless of the original selling price. Costs the same to touch up the stone chip regardless of the price.

Grant
But in all likelihood, that $80k car will have a $10k paintjob, while the $8k car will probably have $2k paint job. Someone willing to buy the $8k car will have to pay $2k to get ir repainted, but someone buying the $80k car will have to pay $10k. Also, the buyer of the $8k car will more than likely be satisfied with getting the chips fixed, while the buyer of an $80k car wont.

I guess all that I'm trying to point out, is that if its a super high dollar car, the cost of driving it is going to be proportionately higher than a lower dollar car.

I understand your logic, but a "restored" 340 car costs as much to paint as a "restored" 440 car. And there are no "restored" 340 cars for $8k.

Grant

IIRC, the GSS Darts were the 67/68 conversions done my Norm's much like a Yenko. The 69's weren't, although in this case all it means is that it was tuned/sold by the dealership?

Grant

I understand your logic, but a "restored" 340 car costs as much to paint as a "restored" 440 car. And there are no "restored" 340 cars for $8k.

Grant

People that restore rarer cars, almost always put more costly paint jobs on them. I was watching a program on Speed Channel, and they were working on a rare car that had a $30k paint job. You might find that on a Superbird or Hemi, but not on a 340 car. It COULD cost as much to paint either car, but many times, much depends on the car itself as to how much is spent on the quality of the restoration.

-
Back