What BB A-body traction problems do you have?

-

375inStroke

Reaction score
Can one have too much power? Anyone's motor have too much torque? I'm building a 511" 400 with 727 and 2.76 Sure-Grip. Something like 460HP@5500 & 525ft-lbs@4000 by Dyno2003. I have an A-518 and Ultrabell, but after running the numbers, this motor just doesn't need low gears. I also love hearing the ricer fart pipe next to me floor it, make tons of god knows what kind of noise, and go nowhere, and me touch the gas and leave them without sounding like I'm even trying. The F.A.S.T. racers are into the 10s with skinny bias tires, but I'm sure their motor are built with more top end where they can use it, and less bottom where they can't. Opposite of what I'm doing.

Dam a 2.76 rear with a 518 OD, if you are running a real tall tire you might not need the 518 LOL. 5500 rpm, 2:76 33" tall tire, top speed = ugh!
Do you plan this to be on the street mostly? It'll be a screamer on the highway thats for sure.
Hey I agree with you on those jap fart pipes, you could blow them away with the exhaust!

The 440 in my son's Dart came out of a 70 New Yorker in 1994. I stuffed it into my old 67 hardtop, backed it with an 18-spline four speed and a 3.23SG 8-3/4. It had very little traction.

One day my older son (who was driving the car daily) came home and told me the car was down on power. We finally tracked it down to a worn timing chain. At this time we also replaced the 350hp cam with a 375hp cam (stock Magnum). This pushed the torque curve up the rpm band a little more and it was actually a little tamer on the low end and much stronger on the top end.

Fast forward a few years and the drivetrain is in my younger son's 67 GT convertible. We blew a head gasket between four and six and decided it was time to get the heads done. Five exhaust valves were visibly sunk. After new seats, guides, etc. the low end torque was back stronger than it was with the old small cam.

I'm not sure what my Barracuda is going to be like, but I'm sure it'll be traction limited, too. I can live with that.....................

I built a 505, 600pound feet of torque two years ago... went into an E body with 3.54s and a stick. With slightly over sized standard radials. In first or second, anything more than just of diloe would spin, and getting on the highway in 3rd would spin at 3/4 throttle. Really fun, but you did not pull out to pass something and floor it unless you're in 4th. So fun, but usless...lol.

Not running 2.76 with A-518. That was going to be A-518 with 4.10, but will be 2.76 with 727.

Well, I built a 470"/400 for my B'cuda FB. According to Desktop Dyno makes 500+ft lbs from 2000 thru 5000rpm and 515hp at 5500. I have a 833 4spd and 3:73 gears. Yes,it's traction limited with 245/60-15's! 1st and 2nd gear will haze the tires at will from a roll(don't even think about side-stepping the clutch from a stand-still!!) It sure pulls hard up top too. Do it,you will have a blast!! Nothing like a BB A-body!:supz:

With the Superstock springs and the 4.10 rear and the M/T drag radials at 18psi, I have no traction problems at all. Haven't tried spraing off of the line yet, we'll see how it reacts with the new 383.

493 , w/ 4:10 and Hoosier 29.5 x 10.5 slicks / SS springs. Hooks very hard on the track----On the street its like driving in snow when i step into it .......

:-D

2.76 Gear with 511 cid.I don't get it.Now you got the HP and your going to be slow out of the hole.276 is a good highway gear but thats about it.My dad had a 323 gear in his Hemi Super Bee.I talked him in to a lower gear and it runs much better and he is happier with it.Torque and a gear is what shoots you out of the hole.
Jim

Hemi Superbee. Come on. Of course that car deserves a 4.11 Dana. The 512 doesn't have the HP. It has the torque. I was going to use an A-518 with 3.91 or 4.10 gears, but running the car through Drag2003, the times with the 518 and low gears were very close to 727 with 2.76 gears. The only way the low gears were faster was if I ran super wide slicks and drag chassis. This car's only going to weigh 3200# with me in it.

-
Back