What cam would you run?

-

gliderider06

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Given a 360 near stock rebuild, heads milled .020 or .030, dual plane intake 340 exhaust manifolds and 727. rear gear has yet to be determined. maybe 3.55 what cam would you run? I have an old Crower Hi-rev 228*/.477 lift cam already. I am toying with the idea of using that cam or going with a melling 216/228* .450/.465" cam kit. I do have a factory high stall converter and not sure what converter is currently in the car now. I plan on pulling the motor this weekend and wanted to order parts, so It will not be down for long.

Is this bud more performance minded or cruiser minded.
Smaller cam for the cruiser, better mileage, larger cam for the more agreeisive minded build.

Not really sure which direction I want to go with this. Leaning towards the larger cam. Will a factory High stall converter be ok with that cam?

The melling cam will run out of breath by 4500rpm

You want this cam- schnider .473 lift 110cl [email protected] 262adv duration solid lifter.

It works great with 3:55 gears and 8.5-.9.5 compression. Burn tires all day long and not go flat in torque by 3500 like the melling.

here ya go..........

Attachments

• IMG_1031.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 211
All kiddin aside, I like my old standby Crane. .467/.494 222/234 @ .050 on a 114 LSA. It's a torque beast.

I am trying to do this on a budget and hoping the motor does not need any machine work done besides having the heads gone through and maybe milled. It currently runs has 50lbs oil pressure at idle, no noises etc... from what I was told the motor/trans was installed 20+ years ago then put in a barn. The rear main leaks, so its getting pulled to fix that and I will take the motor apart and hopefully it will not need a major rebuild.
I was given a limited budget to do the whole car. Just trying to work with what I have unless something else comes long at the right price.
Thanks again everyone!

All kiddin aside, I like my old standby Crane. .467/.494 222/234 @ .050 on a 114 LSA. It's a torque beast.
Indeed this would be an excellent choice and some headers,you never really said which dual plane intake you were using although the factory intake was a good piece just heeeavy...

What really helps with exh is headers.
You can run all the split pattern cams they have to offer, but none of them will scavenge like a set of headers. The flow ratio on a stock set of heads needs no more exh lift than 383 does rod ratio.

Id love to see a dyno test, more so a tack test proving such a diff that one could seriously feel or see reflected in some time slips.
Btw the wider cl will bleed off a lot of cyl psi, why you would want to do that I have no idea..

Crane makes a good cam. we ran one in our Warlock II and it was awesome.

Run the crane with Rhoades lifters.

Crane makes a good cam. we ran one in our Warlock II and it was awesome.

Run the crane with Rhoades lifters.

He'll never need the Rhoads lifters with that Crane I posted. It will idle like a kitten and pull 20 plus Hg of vacuum doing it. Sounds a little hotter than a stock 340, but pulls like a big block.

And as far as the split pattern argument, IMO, I don't think it's that big of an issue. Unless you just make a totally dumbass cam choice, I am not sure you would ever know the difference between a symmetrical or a split grind. When I make cam choices, whether to go split pattern or not is not even close to the top of my decision making criteria. It's just not that big of a game changer, IMO.

-
Back