What car can I strip EFI off of?

-

thejohnnyguy

Young Gun
Reaction score
Are there any vehicles that (if I found in a junkyard) I would be able to strip the fuel injection setup off of and it would fit my 318? :coffee2:

depends how much power you want from the engine, if it is a daily driver than throttle body injection off a late 80s early 90s dodge should swap. probably easier to use a gm throttle body with a mega squirt controlling it, probably the cheapest way also.

If you want magnum fuel injection you will be better off getting the whole drivetrain, it will be easier than trying to make it work with your block, the tone ring on the flywheel/flexplate is a deal breaker for a lot of people.

If your just doing this on the cheap and want a reliable car , GM throttle body with a mega squirt controller, should be under 700 for the swap, you could also get a holley TBI setup for about 1k. But dont try and just swap the magnum intake over, get the whole magnum drivetrain or go a different route.

Throttle body injection has a bad reputation for power, but that is from people who have not owned one. I had one and it wasnt a monster , but a reliable torquey tire spinning car.

good luck

depends how much power you want from the engine, if it is a daily driver than throttle body injection off a late 80s early 90s dodge should swap. probably easier to use a gm throttle body with a mega squirt controlling it, probably the cheapest way also.

If you want magnum fuel injection you will be better off getting the whole drivetrain, it will be easier than trying to make it work with your block, the tone ring on the flywheel/flexplate is a deal breaker for a lot of people.

If your just doing this on the cheap and want a reliable car , GM throttle body with a mega squirt controller, should be under 700 for the swap, you could also get a holley TBI setup for about 1k. But dont try and just swap the magnum intake over, get the whole magnum drivetrain or go a different route.

Throttle body injection has a bad reputation for power, but that is from people who have not owned one. I had one and it wasnt a monster , but a reliable torquey tire spinning car.

good luck

This is for a daily driver with a moderate cam, it's running an edelbrock 600cfm 4 barrel, but I was thinking that fuel injection is more reliable. If I found a late 80's/early 90's dodge at pull-a-part I could probably get everything off of it fairly cheap. What would I need to get off of it for this to work? Thanks- great info so far!

Fuel delivery and pressure are an issue too. EFI mod will extend from the tank to the throttle cable.

Late 80s - early 90s Mopar TBI setups aren't tuneable. If you change from the stock cam, or change any other components, it will run rich, or lean, or just run poorly. They don't use a mass airflow sensor, and pretty much suck if you change from the stock setup at all.

Late 80s - early 90s Mopar TBI setups aren't tuneable. If you change from the stock cam, or change any other components, it will run rich, or lean, or just run poorly. They don't use a mass airflow sensor, and pretty much suck if you change from the stock setup at all.

Speed density right?

Dang! O well... it was a good thought... Guess I'll stick with mah Eddy... Runs pretty good right now anyways...

SOMEPLACE (maybe, gag, Moparts) I saw a huge discussion that some folks are using Ferd injection because it's more tuneable.

Well there is a hige aftermarket for the Ford stuff and it's a bit cheaper being out there for awhile now.

A "Flying Toliet" also called "Rons Flying Toliet" is a FI system that is simple and yeilds alot of power. Goggle it.

Well it's pretty simple, I'll give you that... but a little off budget. I was thinking junkyard EFI swap :p It's ok though I'm happy enough with my Edelbrock 4 barrel... For now! One day i'll convert to EFI, but I think I'll wait til I have something other than a 318...

Thanks to you all for the helpful info!!! :)

-
Back