What Carb and intake for 340?

-

Robb

Reaction score
What carb and intake for my 340? How many CFM and what manufacture? My 340 is mostly stock with the exception of a purple cam as I was told by the previous owner and mopar elecronic ignition. I don't race/just cruise, so I am looking for a good reliable carb and I am also considering swaping out the intake while I am at it...

My other option is to keep the original carb and finding someone to rebuild and tune. I have done a little of both before, but I am looking for the most reliable solution...

Any advice would be great!

For God's sake. For those prices you could just slam a new Holley on the thing.

keep it stock, you wont see much gain without headers, and big cam, most avs carbs need the primary shafts rebushed. this guy is good give him a call http://www.harmsauto.com/iHarms_Carburetors.html

Thanks for the info... that looks a little pricey, and the primary shafts issue is what is leading me to just buying a new carb. I plan to keep the carter on the shelf...

Any recomendations out there on an aftermarket carb? I was looking at the edebrock 600 cfm performers.... thoughts, please???

A good old 3310 Holley would be hard to beat. I wouldn't put an Edeljunk on a chevy.....but that's just my opinion. The thing is, if you go with the Holley, it will be a great match for what you have NOW. The Crapplebrock might work well for what you have NOW. But, if you ever ever ever plan to upgrade much past stock, the Edelcrap won't be able to hang and you'll end up goin Holley. If you do the Holley now and upgrade the engine later, the Holley can stick around with just a few minor mods. I have a Holley 3310 that I'm not gonna use....however, it's modded too much for a stock or close to stock 340. I would recommend just a stock 3310. Here's a good deal on one on Amazon with free shippin: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Holley-65-3310-Secondary-Remanufactured-Carburetor/dp/B0006HKNLI"]Amazon.com: Holley 65-3310 750 CFM Square Bore 4-Barrel Vacuum Secondary Manual Choke Remanufactured Carburetor: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41N35AS277L.@@AMEPARAM@@41N35AS277L[/ame]

Vacuum secondary holley, like an Avenger 670, Quick Fuel, or even a 3310 750 (a little big) and a dual plane perf RPM or LD340 are hard to beat.

What carb and intake for my 340? How many CFM and what manufacture? My 340 is mostly stock with the exception of a purple cam as I was told by the previous owner and mopar elecronic ignition. I don't race/just cruise, so I am looking for a good reliable carb and I am also considering swaping out the intake while I am at it...

My other option is to keep the original carb and finding someone to rebuild and tune. I have done a little of both before, but I am looking for the most reliable solution...

Any advice would be great!

Robb, Depending on the purple cams size, your gear ratio etc..... helps select the carb as well as intended purpose of the car. A cruise car can use a smaller carb to it's bennifit. Now, if you like the Carter style carb and are happy with them, the AVS style carb by Edelbrock @ 650 cfm is fine. Your OE AVS is a 630 as per Carters old tech line. The Holley is also a great carb and if your going to look at one, I'd also agree the 670 street avenger would be the one to look at.

Intake wise, the above mentioned Edelbrocks would be my choice. The LD-340 could be picked up cheaper than a RPM at a swap meet or on line.

Great info everyone.... I really really appreciate the input! I will take as much advice as I can get and try to make the best choice!

Thanks Again!

Alot depends on what your comfy with. If you have never worked on a Holley before and do not want to take an adventure into learning one, then stick with the Edelbrock AVS carb.

IMO, I would change the intake for a few more HP.

I'll third the Holley 670 street avenger recommendation. Very easy. Everything you need to know is in the 4 page book that comes with it, and you'll probably be running 95% out of the box.

Also agree with the RPM or LD340. The RPM Air Gap looks sexy, but the cold start manners can leave something to be desired.

I run an air gap and will have to agree. You'll need some warm up time. It reminds me a whole lot like my big block. Cranky until the right temp is met. Not reallly a great intake in the cold.

remember if your going holley / intake route check hood clearance, have to get the throttle adapter, may have to adjust kickdown linkage, ect.. ect.. i would go with the thunder series AVS the smaller 650 it should be a basic bolt in

I'll fourth the 670....IF you have the money. They are expensive. I recommended the 3310 from a budget standpoint. You shouldn't be afraid of it. It will not be too big. They use a metering plate system in the rear and are very mild carburetors. IF it runs a little rich, all you'd need to do is maybe jet it down in the front. Very simple to do and still with the extra jets, you wouldn't have as much in it as the 670. The 670s are very nice if you have the money, though.

I had the same thing with the stock Carter on my 340 needing to be rebuilt. My motor is stock with a slightly bigger cam in it. I got a E-brock 650 thunder series carb. I have no complants about it. Easy to work on and tune as well. I also got an E-brock RPM air gap intake but have not put it on yet. That or the regular RPM would be the way to go. IMO

Hey Robb I have a 69 Stock all around 340, other than .030 bore, and went with a AVS CARTER 650 rebuild, and have been pretty happy with it for cruising.

I would NOT put a holley 670 street avenger on your 340, I have tried 2 of them, both brand new and could not get the stumble off of idle, called tech 4 or 5 times, they gave me a new one....still didnt work....bought a 680 vac sec. from Quick Fuel and it was perfect!
If you are set on a Holley SA, give me a call and I will sell you a brand new one for a $100 less than new with a 90 warranty still left on it. 516 359 7734.

Chris

If you want to save some money get the Professional products knock off air gap. I have an engine builder buddy who swears by them. I got one for 125 off ebay.

Lets see basically stock 340.. i'd go with a holley 750 vacuum secondaries and either a Edelbrock ld 340 or performer rpm intake,stay away from the "knockoffs"..their knock offs for a reason...

t!

The stock 340 manifolds aren't too bad. The "best" running carb is the Carter / Edelbrock. Holley's / Demons will make more hp but you give up low speed manners, idle.

I would just get a 650 Thunder avs if you can afford it, if not any Edelbrock 600 would work fine. No need for 750 for cruising.

Air gap intakes are for 100 degree weather. If you have a 1968-70 intake I would leave it be, works great for cruising, true at 6,000+ rpm the aftermarket intakes outperform but who cruises at 6,000+ rpm.....ok my old high school buddy on the freeways, lol...but I bet hes all washed up by now, ha ha

Thanks again everyone for the feedback... I really appreciate it. I am really leaning toward the edelbrok 650 avs and just keeping my stock intake for now. I have heard mostly good things about the carbs, but I have to agree they are kind of expensive... Is my old carter worth anything, or should I just hang onto it?

-
Back