What Carb

-

JGC403

Reaction score
I am doing this on a budget and have 3 carbs to choose from that I have already. Engine is a 360, comp cam XE268H-10 (.477" / .480" lift, 224° / 230° duration @0.050), has dual exhaust with exhaust manifolds. 4 speed car.

All of the Carbs are 600cfm ones.

1st Carb and it is on it right now is a Holley 1850. I don't like it cause it has a manual choke.

2nd is another Holley, 80457

3rd is an Edelbrock 1406

I want power and fuel economy. Its a lot to ask, but what carb will give me the best of both from what I have to choose from?

If this is going to be a street car I would say go for the Eddie 650 avs thunder series carb. I run one on my 360 when I am on the street and I am happy with how it runs with very very little tuning.

I used to run a 600 eddie on my 360 and switching to the 650 seemed to be much better for the street. I put the 750 on and ran it down the street a few times and it liked that even more but I like the AVS on the street for daily driving better.

#2......I prefer Holley's anyway, and since you are already running one, it's just a swap, tune & go.

While I like Holley's I've never had any luck with the 1850 design. If I were you I'd use the Edelbrock 600. If you buy a tune kit and set it up right it should yield good performance and economy, that is, if the carb is sound. The Holley 80457 is a fancy version of a 1850.

You can install an electric choke onto the 1850 you already own. Low Buck.

How much tuning are going to do? (Or pay someone to do)?
That will be the key to getting max performance out a carb. It really doesn't matter which one. The Carter/Edelbrock style is a little more complicated to tune for those who just like to change jets, but many think it often is better out of the box.

So if your going to buy another one, give the Eddie a good look. If you want to use a Holley, just change the choke over to electric. Use the money saved for dyno time and/or help in tuning.

I am doing this on a budget and have 3 carbs to choose from that I have already. Engine is a 360, comp cam XE268H-10 (.477" / .480" lift, 224° / 230° duration @0.050), has dual exhaust with exhaust manifolds. 4 speed car.

All of the Carbs are 600cfm ones.

1st Carb and it is on it right now is a Holley 1850. I don't like it cause it has a manual choke.

2nd is another Holley, 80457

3rd is an Edelbrock 1406

I want power and fuel economy. Its a lot to ask, but what carb will give me the best of both from what I have to choose from?

I had a similar built 360 but with headers, I ran an Edelbrock 1406/Electric choke on it. Once dialed in, it had a nice balance of power and economy. It performed trouble free for years. The 1406 would be my choice.

Good Luck,

Russ

Or should I try to find a Carter Thermoquad at the junkyard.

Bingo!......I was going to suggest the same thing, but that wasn't part of the choices. Maybe you could do some horse trading, JGC, to get the TQ and then some headers and watch that thing go into hyperspace!!:burnout:

Run the holley without a choke. Im in pa and drive a little all year without one no problems.

I would run the eddy if it was me. I have an eddy 1407 on my 340 and it works great

I ran AFB, AVS, THERMAQUAD carbs on the street/strip for many years on many combos,
until I got my first holley and its been holley ever since. holleys are easier to tune and provide the best power, which brings better fuel economy.

Street demon.

Thats what I have on my 340 and it works good.

Any of the 3 are fine. I's choose the one on the best condition honestly.

And a junk yard carb is exactly that. Who knows what condition its in and even when rebuilt they can be more trouble than they are worth.

i ran afb, avs, thermaquad carbs on the street/strip for many years on many combos,
until i got my first holley and its been holley ever since. Holleys are easier to tune and provide the best power, which brings better fuel economy.
x2

So your saying 600 cfm is to small?

I ran AFB, AVS, THERMAQUAD carbs on the street/strip for many years on many combos,
until I got my first holley and its been holley ever since. holleys are easier to tune and provide the best power, which brings better fuel economy.

I read a thread over at moparts about a MPG build in a 1968 Barracuda. He lost some mpg when he swapped a Holley 770 street avenger on compared to the Thermoquad. That is why I was thinking about getting a TQ from the Junk Yard.

I had a 360 with X heads and a MP .484 cam in my 68 dart with an edelbrock 600. Took it off and put on a Holley 750 DP and it loveed it. Way more throttle responsive. Im in Maine and I don't run chokes. Sure a little cold blooded in the fall, but that is the nature of the beast.

X2

Thermoquads hahahaha. For those that love a good headache. Best left at the junk yard from where they came.

-
Back