What clutch to buy?

-

68383GTS

Reaction score
Motor 300 HP 318
Street driven and I run it hard sometimes
355 suregrip

Looking for a clutch...What do you Guys and Gals recommend.I can not afford a $350.00-$400.00 clutch.Keeping it around $175.00-$250.00 I used a Ram clutch in a 250 HP 318 about 15 years ago and it worked good.So I am thinking a Ram or Mcleod.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mcl-75109

Thanks,Jim

And those are now 350.00 and up.just paid 400 for center force from Mancini.saved 70bucks buying at the nationals.i do have a new disc and plate never been installed that was bought from rock auto with a new release bearing for 200. And my new center force comes without a bearing just plate and disc

Try Phoenix friction materials, that's where I got mine. They make them for Luk and others. The disk is ceramic on one side and conventional on the other side. I went with a diaphragm pressure plate, I've never had much luck with B&B style. 205.00USD If you get a Borg and Beck make sure it has 4 springs in the spring pockets. The 3 spring are 318 P/Ps and are weaker.

Attachments

• WP_20140816_15_24_04_Pro.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 550
  • WP_20140816_15_24_15_Pro.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 549
  • WP_20140816_15_24_41_Pro.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 566
[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCHIEFER-PRESSURE-PLATE-FORD-LONG-STYLE-10-4-/311006307480?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item48696ba498&vxp=mtr"]Schiefer Pressure Plate Ford Long Style 10 4 | eBay[/ame]

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCHIEFER-CLUTCH-DISC-11-INCH-1-x-23-SPLINE-CHRYSLER-/380935254308?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58b182b124&vxp=mtr"]Schiefer Clutch Disc 11 inch 1 x 23 Spline Chrysler | eBay[/ame]

A&B = 150.00 total

Yea,a low end clutch with no spring tension.and how long did it last?the cheapest McLeod from brewer is 319.00 my motor chewed it up and spit that junk everywhere twisted the center right out of the disc.thought someone pulled the trigger on a shotgun.but a tame 318 put a Luke in it if you want a cheap clutch and maybe it will come through the bell housing and take a 4 inch chunk out of the floor.happened to mark yantis /68 cuda 318.call newark drywall he will send pictures that will change your mind on a cheap clutch

I got a stock replacement clutch kit at NAPA for my 340, Formula S. It was the best damn clutch I have ever had. Easy on the leg and smooth operation.

It lasted one week........

I just ordered a Ram billet flywheel an B & B Ram clutch package. I won't have to mess with the over center spring. $477 for the package from Jeg's.

Curt Rees

Damn Nutty Runner sounds like Mcleod are junk.Maybe I will just wait and buy a Center force.

Centerforce

I have a Centerforce II clutch kit in my Valiant and love it, grabs nice, easy to drive and the pedal pressure is percfect, shifts better than a new car IMO

Ok I just ordered the Centerforce.....:finga: Better safe than sorry,I am sure my 318 will never hurt it!!! :burnout:

Good choice on the centerforce.
When I put the clutch behind my 318 I cheaped out at first and put a zoom muscle car series, clutch, pp, flyweel in.
Had that trans out 5 times, and the car never left the jack stands, finally zoom just told me to send it back.
Bought a centerforce, problem solved.

I also have a slightly used center force flyweel if you are interested, it is neutral balanced and has less than 500 street miles.

The zoom tech actually told me they flatness issues with some of their cheap line of flywheels.
Maybe they have it fixed by now.
They are made in china.

Boss put the Centerforce diaphragm behind a hot 340. He drives like a idiot and pushes everything to the hilt. I'm not buying anything else. That phoenix one is interesting though. Looks to be built well. But I would have to see it tortured first to compare.:) It's good to have an "in house" parts tester and even better when he's buying the parts!:burnout:The body count so far is 2 stock driveshafts, 2 stock big u joints, 1 billet u joint, 1 stock rear yoke, 1 stock rear yoke with u joint caps and bigger bolts, 1 bashed in Flowmaster muffler, and 1 a833 mainshaft. The winner is a new Dennys driveshaft and billet rear yoke. The constant during the torture test was the Centerforce clutch and it still looks new and drives great.Here's 2 cents from somebody who has body parts missing. Cheap parts that endanger body parts are not worth it. Can't buy a leg or a foot for $400. Except maybe in China. And it never grows back. Like I tell the guys in the shop everytime I see them do something potentially dangerous with their hands. " You may not appreciate those fingers now, but you shure the hell will when they're gone." I'm thinkin' a foot is probably the same.

I bought a Centerforce flywheel from Sireland67
A+ seller,shipped me the part before I could pay for it!!!

68383GTS in kansas city we have kay cee clutch. I am sure there is a clutch rebuilder in indy. I have used these guys for years and they rebuild everything you can think of clutch wise. I simply take them my clutch setup tell them what I am doing and what I want and usually for price of auto parts clutch set I get back a wicked setup that was not built in china. Try a search in city near you as I will bet that someone is available local to you that builds clutches and pressure plates for a living. my .02

I dont get why so many 4-speeders are afraid to remove the clutch assist spring, and are willing to put up with a 3-finger pressure plate with its attendant bionic leftleg requirement.Its not that big a deal to remove. And a diaphragm pp is sooooo nice. Especially at parade time. I wasnt that keen on the Dual Friction disc though. I put a factory 340 disc in. It doesnt last nearly as long. But its smoother, easy to modulate, and easy on the flywheel. Just replace it as soon as it shows signs of distress; theyre not expensive. Oh, and yes Ive sorta ripped the hubs out of a couple of them at 430hp. I was able to limp it home.

-
Back