What Color Engine Bay?

What color?

• Total voters
-
Why are you worried about the part no one will see going down the road, but your ok with it looking like a rust bucket? I don’t get it.

My 51 Fargo is covered in original patina, but i did clean and paint engine bay close to body colour. Interior also.
I want to keep most of the original look.

my 65 Barraduda is getting satin black engine bay, but will leak out onto hood and bumpers. Bumpers are toast, and a little work and paint will be a damn sight cheaper than chrome.

Im ready to take the hit from the purists, but im doing mine in a sensible way,as engine needs to go in before paint.

i do love the body colour on stock car engine bays, all clean and whatnot,and appreciate the work that goes into them.

Paint it Blue and Semi Black the hood.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFuhz6SavACwyqY4DtOgTqAcVjY-73QtdwfQ&usqp=CAU.jpg

White, so you can see any leaks and address them immediately.
A white compartment makes it easier to see and work in as well as the light bounces around a lot more.

proxy-image

proxy-image

e?piurl=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2Foriginals%2F05%2F77%2Fc2%2F0577c25c3b3040c662fa924d6b4f5996.jpg

White, so you can see any leaks and address them immediately.
A white compartment makes it easier to see and work in as well as the light bounces around a lot more.

Agreed. This is brush on rustoleum done with the engine in the car. Will do a better job if/when i pull the motor but it cleaned the compartment up significantly and reflects light well.
20201202_065018.jpg

I think charcoal, matte type finish would make that blue jump out, tie in nicely with the patina body, and be a nice transition from one to the other. Gloss or satin would conflict with how subdued everything else is and distract a bit from the engine color. I'm thinking diamond ring in a display box-effect, although the blue will give that "feel" with any of those options.

I think charcoal, matte type finish would make that blue jump out, tie in nicely with the patina body, and be a nice transition from one to the other. Gloss or satin would conflict with how subdued everything else is and distract a bit from the engine color. I'm thinking diamond ring in a display box-effect, although the blue will give that "feel" with any of those options.
Oh I don’t know, most people won’t get over the rusty exterior to wonder what under the hood looks like.

Oh I don’t know, most people won’t get over the rusty exterior to wonder what under the hood looks like.
I can imagine seeing it parked at a show or cruise, sitting with the hood up. Walking up to it, you couldn't help but wonder what he could be showing off under there to have it propped up. Anticipation would build. Then BLAM!!! That's the effect I was thinking of. A pleasant surprise hidden under it all.

After thinking about this overnight, I came up with a brainstorm. Prep the engine bay real good. Then go over it with a good thick coat of epoxy primer. Leave it that way. Then as you progress with the rest of the car, you can make you final color decision later.

I would paint it whatever color you are eventually going to paint the car, no need to pull the engine twice.

I agree with the white votes. It will look clean, bright, and won't overshadow the outside patina or the motor color. My Formula S is white (not coincidentally exterior is white as well). Black is way too Chevy lookin'.

int 28.JPG

I was ready to put my 273 back in and couldn't do it without sprucing up the engine bay. I have regrets not finding some original color but I had a couple cans of gloss black. What the heck, I'll pull the drive train if I paint the car anyway. Besides, I might paint the car black and I would be ahead of the game then. Naw, I would pull the drivetrain anyway! :BangHead::lol:

engine 296.jpg

Black screams Chev so I veto that!
I love white cars but but I also try to stay with the car' oem color.
I have seen pics of this car many times before and it as a real patina charm about it. One thing though, color can always be changed!!! Sorta like having different set of wheels! Just more work to change paint!

Black screams Chev so I veto that!
I love white cars but but I also try to stay with the car' oem color.
I have seen pics of this car many times before and it as a real patina charm about it. One thing though, color can always be changed!!! Sorta like having different set of wheels! Just more work to change paint!
You calling my car a Chevy? lol

View attachment 1715640964
Yep, I couldn't find a paint this color! :rofl:

10-18-19d.jpg

I painted my fuel tank and front stabilizer bar John Deere Green because I had that color on hand in the garage (do what you have to sometimes). I actually got to like the way those items turned out.

-
Back