What color to bay the engine conpartment

What color should I paint the engine bay

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-
The vintage T/A and NASCAR cars used grey in the engine compartment.

Attachments

• Trans Am Engine Bay.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 213
  • TA2.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 214
unless you want to be exilled from the mopar comunity it MUST be body color! when i see a car that the trunk or engine compartment has been painted flat black or trunk has been sprayed with specal paint i just walk away in discust chrysler was the only company to have a body color engine compartment and it needs to stay that way! dgc333 i have a lime green 72 duster and the engine compartment looks killer lime green, sound to me like you need to use this new invention called wax

Hi
Thats seems a little harsh dude, when we build a car it's up to the builder and owner in design the car to there personal vision.
I asked because I'm stumped the flat black suits the design I have in mind, the only color I wanted on the car was on the side of the car, nowhere else so does that not make the main color of the flat black.

A semi or non gloss non body colour engine bay in a Mopar is kind of like putting a Obama motors bellybutton engine (or a Ford for that matter) in there, it just ain't right.

While I'm of the school (some might say old) that anything but gloss paint on the body means the owner is in an interim stage with an unfinished piece, or too cheap to do it correctly, it's not my car, it's yours to do with as you choose. However, you will be doing yourself a favor in the maintenance department if you paint the engine bay with gloss paint no matter what the colour. Take the time to keep a good coat of paste wax on the finish and upkeep becomes easier yet.

That grey transam engine bay may be correct but looks like crap IMO.

Just go the orange bay.

At shows,etc it tends to pull more attention to the engine bay which is good because let's face it.a black (particularly flat or satin) is very understated - even bordering on boring.

Hi everyone

I'm at the point where I'm ready to paint the engine conpartment.

The 72 demon will be painted flat black on the hood fender tops trunk lid and the tops of the back of the car. The interior will be black and the vinyal top will also be black

The sides of the car will be painted a dulacolor candy orange.

I'm planning to black out the grille and all the chrome is either be blacked out or a black flat anadise.

My question should i paint the engine conpartment

Flat Black or the Candy orange.

I feel the flat black is the way I see the car.

My 2 Cents

I hate looking at a MOPAR that the engine compartment is painted black unless it is a black car. It makes the car look cheap, PLus flat black in the engine compartment would be really hard to clean and look nice. Now if you are going for a rat rod look, don't care for that either, then by all means paint it flat black (actually you should paint it black and put a clear on it with flattener in it).

But if you look at the A12 cars and see how the factory did them you will see body color in the engine compartment.

It is your car, do what you like and the hell with what we think

Sounds like you plan on a nice car, MY OPINION IS TO PAINT THE INNER FENDERS AND FIREWALL BODY COLOR, paint the fender lip down to the tab with the bolt holes black and the hood edges to match the top of the hood

View attachment enginebay.jpg
body color engine bay makes the engine POP

View attachment engineinbay.jpg

if it were black it would blend in

My engine is painted the same color blue as the stripe on the car

Paint engine gloss black and the engine compartment the same orange as the car, that is what I would do

I'm still can't make up my mind whether to paint the outside black or not so I painted the engine bay black. I like the color but I don't like it that the outside isn't the same color. If I decide on a different outside color, I will pull the drive train out anyway to paint it all the same..............the way it should be! toolman

Attachments

• engine 296.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 191
Hi
I forgot to say the I will be clear coating the engine bay.
Thanks for your input, still undecided on what color I will paint the engine bay.
I now thinking about painting the engine bay from the dividing line on the fire wall body color and the rest flat black. I'm thinking about doing the inside of the hood and trunk lid in flat black. I will leave the truck painted in Black I think.
This is all so confusing.

Sorry to highjack but I have a question for eveyone hating on black. If you have a car that is mainly 1 color( not Black) then you have the hood top of fenders and around the windows black, what color should you paint the engine bay? car main color or black to match the hood and top of fenders.

if you want to paint it stain black, sell it and buy a chevy (or other worthless GM product), MOPARS (even those with blacked out hoods) have body color engine compartments!!

JMHO!!

Bob

Here's the plan. I will be painting the engine bay the body color same with the inside and trunk.
This will be my first paint job in 25 years so wish me luck.
I will be using duplicolor paint, they say it works well

Flat black! Do what you like. It's your money! Candy on Candy would be nice too. Just keep it on the road and enjoy!

Painted it flat black and it looks as good as I thought it would.
Perfect

Any pics???

thanks
Mike
328pics018.jpg

If you are going for the nostalgia 70's look, then black is the way to go. Painting an engine bay black does not make the car a Chevy.

It looks good either way IMO. What does not look better than a faded ratty looking engine bay??

-
Back