What color to paint my dart?

What color to paint my dart?

• Total voters
-
Yes there are a lot of silver cars on the roads today but you don't see many silver Darts. I voted for silver because it will always look good...as time passes you might get sick of the green.

Wasn't ther a guy on here that painted his Duster the same color green as you are talking about?
That car turned out awsome. It should be in the member's restorations from about a year ago.....
I vote for green.

Wasn't ther a guy on here that painted his Duster the same color green as you are talking about?
That car turned out awsome. It should be in the member's restorations from about a year ago.....
I vote for green.

Yes! I'm trying to find that one. I remember seeing it. It looked awesome. I loved it

isn't the clear coat going to give it the uniform look? maybe someone else can chime in.?

The metallic paint is not like a standard paint. It contains metal flake that "lays" a certain way depending upon how much air pressure you have on the gun as well as the speed and stroke direction of the gun, the angle of the gun to the surface, and the distance it is from the car as you paint.

Each of these can be challenging on their own, but the cumulative difficulty is much higher still when compared to a regular paint.

The clear-coat will add a visual depth as well as provide great protection, but it will NOT make a poorly applied metallic paint look uniform.

Start with a spare piece of metal, something with curves and angles is even better since it more closely patterns the complex shapes you will be painting on the real thing.

Hope the info helps.

Start with a spare piece of metal, something with curves and angles is even better since it more closely patterns the complex shapes you will be painting on the real thing.

Hope the info helps.

A good gun helps too!! I use a Sata 2000, $600 but worth its weight in Gold!

A little tip for applying metallics, 50% overlap on each pass at a moderate speed, 10" fan pattern, 10" distance from substrate. Last overreduced mist coat at a fast pace. After flashed wipe with a tack cloth and apply clear. It works for me. No modeling or Zebra stripes. Of course I make it sound easy due to years of experience.

A good gun helps too!! I use a Sata 2000, $600 but worth its weight in Gold!

A little tip for applying metallics, 50% overlap on each pass at a moderate speed, 10" fan pattern, 10" distance from substrate. Last overreduced mist coat at a fast pace. After flashed wipe with a tack cloth and apply clear. It works for me. No modeling or Zebra stripes. Of course I make it sound easy due to years of experience.

Good to know.
What do you think about cross coating too?

thanks guys for the tips.! The gun I'm going to be using is a DeVilbiss DEVGFG 670 Spray Gun. anyone used this gun before? I bought it with a kit for approx $350. supposed to be real good for spraying metallics

thanks guys for the tips.! The gun I'm going to be using is a DeVilbiss DEVGFG 670 Spray Gun. anyone used this gun before? I bought it with a kit for approx $350. supposed to be real good for spraying metallics

It'll do just fine! Use a 1.4 tip for the metallics tho! The more pressure at the cap will also change color too. Will make it a bit lighter.

I vote for green.

are you talking about the bad apple duster project?

Nuff said below!! Go with it. Just make sure the bodywork is straight!! Seal it with a light colored sealer then shoot the metallic base. I would use a white sealer. Less base color when you do that!

I voted for Green,I've seen a few silver Dart's and didn't particularly care for it That's just My opinion.

I voted silver - mainly because I like the concept and the other thing is the reason you see so many modern cars in silver is it is a darn pretty color that appeals to many. The green is really a love it or hate thing...

I also have debated on a color for my 66 cuda i was thinking of sublime green until i saw this. Nice car for a chebby but check out the color i think it will look great on my cuda.

Attachments

• run for the sun show 2010 045.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 341
I vote for doo doo brown. Geez, this is almost as bas as them idiots lookin out in the audience for advice on The Price Is right.

I vote BLACK, the whole car, we need more black cars on this forum8):-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 339
I vote for doo doo brown. Geez, this is almost as bas as them idiots lookin out in the audience for advice on The Price Is right.
if u dont agree with my choice to post this poll, then DONT LOOK AT THIS THREAD. hmmm...but that idea just makes too much sense doesn't it?

I vote BLACK, the whole car, we need more black cars on this forum8):-D:-D:-D:-D:-D
Its black right now. and I really did like black, and want the whole car to be black. right now it is all spraypainted black. but due to this being my first time doing body/paint, i know that it wont be perfect, and black paint will definitely magnify any imperfections.

Attachments

• IMG00135.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 331
if u dont agree with my choice to post this poll, then DONT LOOK AT THIS THREAD. hmmm...but that idea just makes too much sense doesn't it?

You're the one who asked for everybody's opinion. That was mine. If you're not ready to take the bad with the good, you shouldda never posted. YOU ASKED.

I would take a look at the green on the Hyundai Genesis Coupe. For green it is nice. I have had horrible luck with green cars. Blends to well with the surroundings and people tend to run into them. My wifes green Saturn was hit 6 times. Bodywork must be PERFECT for silver. It amplifies small dings and scratches.
Metallics are a bit harder to spray but look nice. You could always spray it Mercedes Silver and shoot Candy green over that. It POPS!! Getting ready to shoot my dads Duster tutone, black sides with the silver along the top and spray candy yellow over the silver. Just my 2 cents

Would you please post pics of your Dads car when you finish it?

-
Back