What could go wrong? Cross country trip

-

Calipag

Reaction score
So my son (23) is a mechanic who currently works at Toyota and is quitting to go to school and become an aircraft mechanic (like his old man). He is going to take a few weeks off and between leaving Toyota and starting college. My father owns a home in North NJ ( Bayville). My son was going to fly there and stay a week or so and visit as a summer vacation. Then I made the joke, really to shock my wife, you know what would a great trip? Jump in the (1970) Dart and cruise across country! Well..... now he is trying to make this happen. I don't think I would have thought twice about doing this when I was young but now being a father, I'm just thinking of the thousand things that could and will probably go wrong. He will not be driving alone, he will be with his girlfriend of 3 years. The engine and transmission were just gone through and rebuilt 3 years ago, full suspension done at the same time. About the only thing that has not been replaced or rebuilt is the rear end. The rear is a donor out of our donor car (1973 Dart), non sure grip, which has been serviced but not rebuilt. That car had 75K miles on it when we got and pulled her apart.

They would go north and across from here to keep a bit cooler but they are looking at doing this in July. He starts school in August. So now the wife is pissed at me and I'm kind of trying to talk him out it but also think it would be a amazing trip.

Thoughts on downfalls, if he actually goes?

He will learn valuable life lessons along the way. I’ve met your son and seen the car, (tell him I need Miguel’s burritos STAT!) and he seems perfectly level headed and intelligent. There will be hiccups I’m sure but nothing that can’t be sorted with a basic tool box and some carefully thought out spare parts planning. I say go for it. Some of the best times in any of my cars have been road trips. My thinking was always “if it’ll go 40 miles, why won’t it go 400 miles?”

Carry a voltage regulator, ballast resistor, maybe an alternator, some vital fluids and a a handful of tools - the basic stuff. And have a blast!!!!

Some decades ago, when I was 18, my 15 yr old sister and I did a small road trip from Maryland just up to Michigan and back. Simply because we could and just wanted to say "hi" to our cousins. Made that trip in my high school ride of a 71 Barracuda that I had put a 360 in.

People drove them cars cross country back in the day, the only challenge I see is parts, if it does break down may have to overnight from rock auto and wrench in a hotel parking lot etc. dumb things like alternator, fuel pump, fuel filter thermostat etc. most everything else can be limped long...might have to McGyver some things etc.

I drove from FL to OH and back three times before I was 23.

In 1960's and 70's cars that were 20 or more years old.

Look at the "what do you keep in your trunk" threads, if you don't have stuff like a brain and voltage regulator in there already.

Not really.
I'll take @TT5.9mag word that this won't test the relationship too hard.
Depending on the time and money available, it may change the nature of the visit somewhat.
Hotels, restraunts, fuel and tolls can add up! :( And yet if your going to drive across the continent, stop and see things for sure. Enjoy it.
Can always camp and cookout but not everyone is into that.
P.S. Bayville is South Jersey, except maybe if your from Cape May. LOL

As far as the car goes, it should be fine.
Rear should go forever unless its been abused. Tires good? Wiper inserts fresh? Points and condensor decent? Good condensor is the only thing that will be difficult buying at a parts store.
If you want to take a spare VR and ballast, they take little room. Same with an ECU if its converted. Ballast shouldn't fail unless it gets splashed with cold water.
I assume he knows how to engine brake in the mountains and understands the gages well enough to interpret the info.

Headlight circuit is really the only one so weak it might have issues under continuous use. So if a lot of night driving, then add a relay harness. A pair of Hella Vision plus lamps with a good bulb and some aiming will be a good balance of readily available and better lighting than most. Or you can ask Stern what he has available that is better.

Well, I absolutely 100% am not qualified to speak on the matter of testing the relationship. That is solely out of my realm of understanding.

My girl and I get along wonderfully on road trips. We travel well together.
B906C77F-C963-45FE-9B12-697486FBA223.png

Somewhere outside of Tucson Az.

So my son (23) is a mechanic who currently works at Toyota and is quitting to go to school and become an aircraft mechanic (like his old man). He is going to take a few weeks off and between leaving Toyota and starting college. My father owns a home in North NJ ( Bayville). My son was going to fly there and stay a week or so and visit as a summer vacation. Then I made the joke, really to shock my wife, you know what would a great trip? Jump in the (1970) Dart and cruise across country! Well..... now he is trying to make this happen. I don't think I would have thought twice about doing this when I was young but now being a father, I'm just thinking of the thousand things that could and will probably go wrong. He will not be driving alone, he will be with his girlfriend of 3 years. The engine and transmission were just gone through and rebuilt 3 years ago, full suspension done at the same time. About the only thing that has not been replaced or rebuilt is the rear end. The rear is a donor out of our donor car (1973 Dart), non sure grip, which has been serviced but not rebuilt. That car had 75K miles on it when we got and pulled her apart.

They would go north and across from here to keep a bit cooler but they are looking at doing this in July. He starts school in August. So now the wife is pissed at me and I'm kind of trying to talk him out it but also think it would be a amazing trip.

Hammer down and have a good time!
I took my 70 Dart on the Hot Rod Power Tour, ok it was in 2005, but it was a great time. Racked up over 5000 miles in 2 weeks, absolutely zero problems. Carry a small well equipped tool box and some spare parts as mentioned above.

Been doing road trips for over 50 years. Last year the wife and I drove from Greenwood, SC to the San Juan Islands in northern WA state in a 2018 Charger R/T and back again. When I was young and single in a 64 Barracuda 273 four speed. Good tires, check the fluids, bring a plug in cooler and your favorite eats. Audio books to pass the time. Watch for idiots. Pick a few neat places to stay and/or see. North or south, July will be hot. South Dakota could go over 100 degrees in July. Watch the movie Michael before you go. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Not really.
I'll take @TT5.9mag word that this won't test the relationship too hard.
Depending on the time and money available, it may change the nature of the visit somewhat.
Hotels, restraunts, fuel and tolls can add up! :( And yet if your going to drive across the continent, stop and see things for sure. Enjoy it.
Can always camp and cookout but not everyone is into that.
P.S. Bayville is South Jersey, except maybe if your from Cape May. LOL

As far as the car goes, it should be fine.
Rear should go forever unless its been abused. Tires good? Wiper inserts fresh? Points and condensor decent? Good condensor is the only thing that will be difficult buying at a parts store.
If you want to take a spare VR and ballast, they take little room. Same with an ECU if its converted. Ballast shouldn't fail unless it gets splashed with cold water.
I assume he knows how to engine brake in the mountains and understands the gages well enough to interpret the info.

Headlight circuit is really the only one so weak it might have issues under continuous use. So if a lot of night driving, then add a relay harness. A pair of Hella Vision plus lamps with a good bulb and some aiming will be a good balance of readily available and better lighting than most. Or you can ask Stern what he has available that is better.
Funny, we have a family home in Stone Harbor so Bayville is North Jersey to us.

He has a HEI with a GM module set up, which has been bullet proof so far.

Thanks for the input and I agree taking their time and enjoying the trip is the best way to do it. I think they will be doing the camping and motel combination.

Small tote with:

Spares:

ECU
Pickup coil
Coil
Extra wire, alligator clips, terminals, fuses tape etc
Voltage regulator
Alternator
Starter
Tire plugs and small air pump
Fuel pump
Filter
Extra coolant, oil
whatever else that will fit!

My mindset is that no store will have what I need or I won’t be near one to get them.

My son (mechanically inclined) drove his 93 Dakota 4x4 to Anchorage from SC last year (4300+ mile trip)
with a tote with all the above along with radiator hoses, heater hose and whatever else I forget.
Of course we spent a few weekends going over the thing top to bottom front to back, fixing whatever, installing a new serpentine belt, checking you name it and changing fluids etc.
He made the journey with not a hiccup, not needing anything. Piece of mind and a trip of a lifetime for them, piece of mind for family and friends.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
...bring a plug in cooler and your favorite eats.

Be careful with a plug-in cooler. Friends took one on a trip from SoCal to Las Vegas. They left it plugged in the car all night and got up to a dead battery the next morning.

Good car insurance with the break down Bob coverage or AAA, healthy credit card(s), extra phone chargers (ac & dc). rags, tarp, and a good jack and a reminder that drivers side lug nuts are left hand unless changed out.:steering:

Be careful with a plug-in cooler. Friends took one on a trip from SoCal to Las Vegas. They left it plugged in the car all night and got up to a dead battery the next morning.

I've been using one for probably 30 years, But you are right. No switched power outlet on a 70 Dart. I drove with 3 kids in a 73 Dart for a number of years from MD to SD every summer to see their Grandfather.

Good car insurance with the break down Bob coverage or AAA, healthy credit card(s), extra phone chargers (ac & dc). rags, tarp, and a good jack and a reminder that drivers side lug nuts are left hand unless changed out.:steering:
Thank you. We got rid of the left hand threads. We stole everything from the donor 73 Dart ,disc brakes, suspension, K member, engine, transmission and rear. He has AAA and is a very good mechanic for 23, can figure things out.

Thank you. We got rid of the left hand threads. We stole everything from the donor 73 Dart ,disc brakes, suspension, K member, engine, transmission and rear. He has AAA and is a very good mechanic for 23, can figure things out.
Shouldn't have any problems that he can't resolve then.
:thumbsup:

after going to the nats in 2000 i decided in 2001 i was going to drive my barracuda there.

the car had always been reliable with a warmed over 318 4bbl, 727 and 3.23SG, it was a power disc & steering car but still had the 69 vintage underpinnings. while i'd done the 73~76 upgrade several times before i hadn't gotten around to doing it on this one yet. so, it had to be done... and naturally i dragged my feet.

i was leaving wednesday. my car was still on jackstands thursday night. i wrapped up, got it aligned saturday and my shakedown was a trip up to bako to help a friend install a 5spd in his 68 cuda. i drove it to work on monday, packed the car tuesday and wed morning i drove to santa monica pier and took a pic at the beach. then promptly clicked off 900mi and ended my first day in las cruces NM.

the car didn't miss a beat. and i met my friends for bbq in virgina beach for bbq after taking a pic in front of the atlantic.

the whole trip was 14 days and the car was drama free for all 6000-ish miles.

i took my tool box, a milk crate full of spares- belts, hoses, alt, water pump, carb, fuel pump/line & filters, plugs, ECU, distributor, cap/rotor/wires, voltage regualtor. along with an AAA card, radar detector, cell and a interstate atlas.

as a dad, you'll always worry. i know mine did, even when i called every day. but when i picked him up on the return leg in chicago to bomb home, even he admitted it was a thrill to to just throw caution to the wind and go.

Take various length alligator clip jumpers in at least 12 gauge wire.

That way you can jump any failed critical systems to the battery if necessary.

For instance, I've had to jump-

Headlights
Ignition
Distributor
Starter ground
ECU ground

Not having some kind of temporary jumper in all those situations would have left me stranded.

-
Back