What crank

-

sammie

Reaction score
Just took the oil pan off to clean it up and take a look inside. This is a 340x block that was in a car I bought recently. Is this a cast or steel?

20210221_133237.jpg

forged,,,see the rounded edges of the throws......cast are sharp cornered.

Look at the wide parting line on the row under and to the right of the pick up screen. Forged.

upload_2021-2-21_12-42-57.png

forged,,,see the rounded edges of the throws......cast are sharp cornered.

Wow. You guys have way better sight than I do. Is the picture a bit blurry for you?? It is for me with and without my glasses. Probably need to get an appointment and get checked.

I always just look at crank throws, from a mile away you can tell if its rounded or squared off.
mopar_crankshafts-jpg.jpg

Thank you guys! Awesome! That made my day a little better!

Forged crank, but, it shouldn't look like either of the ones Pishta posted. It should look forged like the one on the left, but, have the front and rear rod journal hole like the one on the right.

Anything's possible but I certainly would be surprised to find a cast crank in a X block.

I vote forged. The counterweights are drilled for balancing. Cast cranks are externally balanced.

Forged crank, but, it shouldn't look like either of the ones Pishta posted. It should look forged like the one on the left, but, have the front and rear rod journal hole like the one on the right.
But only for the 340 heavy rods. 273 and early 318 forged cranks do not have the connecting rod journals drilled because they use lighter rods.

This is a 340 X block.
That could readily accept a 273 crank. Just saying. Some people use 273 rods and light pistons for quick revving engines. Who knows what crank may be in there. I was just stating a fact for the OP's information.

That could readily accept a 273 crank. Just saying. Some people use 273 rods and light pistons for quick revving engines. Who knows what crank may be in there. I was just stating a fact for the OP's information.
Gotcha. Makes sense in that context.:)

-
Back