what dia t bars should I buy? & what shocks should I get?

-
1.14 torsion bars, hotchkis shocks.

Chassis connectors and torque boxes help HEAPS!!

And a sway bar...definitely.

I'll spend however much it takes to get to my desired comfort level. its not any fun to drive right now
1- define desired comfort level

2- what's the current status of the front end/rest of suspension? has anything been altered or rebuilt?

3- do you have a swaybar?

4- current wheel and tire package?

you can easily attain something that rides very similar to a modern sport coupe-- firm but not overbearing. or you can have something that handles like it's on rails but rides a little rough and can shake your fillings loose. or you can have something in the middle of either. comfort is a very subjective topic.

The first thing you want to correct lean is an anti-sway bar. T-bars and shocks are NOT primarily about lean.

Shocks control rebound and overall ride quality.

Stiffer springs (t-bars are springs) give you a stiffer ride — this does reduce lean but it also affects ride quality, so it's a personal choice how far to go. An anti-sway bar reduces lean WITHOUT affecting ride quality (in most circumstances — exceptions include when you go over a speed bump with only one wheel).

In your case, I would proceed as follows:

1. Quality front sway bar kit — I like the Hellwig hollow bar, but there are other good ones. Addco is cheap but needs mods to work well.
2. Quality shocks – Bilstein and Koni are the best, but pricey. I find KYB is acceptable for a reasonable price.

See how you like that before upgrading t-bars, which is much more hassle. Chassis connectors and torque boxes may be a consideration after you have upgraded the entire suspension — chassis stiffness is irrelevant if the rest of the setup is a spaghetti noodle.

I should also point out that your ball joints, LCA and UCA bushings, strut rod bushings and tie rod ends should all be in good shape before you make any modifications. You could spend hundreds of dollars for no improvement if your front end is worn out.

If you have power steering I found the Borgeson steering box really improved feel, but it has nothing to do with body lean. Don't get distracted... focus on your issue.

It sounds like the car is is either riding on the bump stops or has bad shocks.
Bad as in failed or too much high frequency damping.

The rst is what folks have posted.
Front sway bar for reduced roll and up the t-bars.
This assumes the rear springs aren't busted or shackles at some weird angle.

Then there's roller rim micro tire problem but can't imagine you did that.
But tires can make a big diffrence to ride.

It's the shackle angle that can bind. Usually happens when rear is raised.

you're right you know..jpg

1973 dodge dart 318. it leans way over in turns. I feel every bump in the road. thank you for your time. RR
Evaluate your whole suspension system to see if the rest is in good condition. Bad bushings and shocks can make a car ride and handle like crap.

My dart has stock springs and no swaybar from the factory and rides just fine on 14 inch wheels.

i'm a penny pincher did mine cheap spent all the money on balljoints and bushes :)

and its perfectly adequate

KYB gas adjust and the bars out of a big block v8 A body
with the correct ride hight

mine came standard with a perfectly adequate sway bar and is an Australian car

60s B body width at the back
disk brake A body width at the front
8 inches shorter than a dart
so my gians my differ from yours if you did the same

but all i really did was make it work more like the day it came out of the factory.
i.e old worn out 318 bars replaced with old worn out 383 bars
probably landed me back at day 1 in a car with a motor that weighs about 3/4 of a 318

its a nice enough ride

I have 1.14" bars in my Duster and I'd say they're a bit much if the OP isn't trying to hit the track or do serious canyon-carving AND he'd need some wide low-profile performance tires in the front to take advantage of them anyway over smaller bars. IMO he's probably better off with 1.03-1.08" for something more street-oriented.

I second the 1.03" bars and Bilstein shocks along with sway bars.

Go do a full coil spring conversion.

KIDDING!!

This is my setup exactly...I have to report that it rides hard and still doesn't feel that great. If I had to do it over again, I might go for a smaller torsion bar.

-
Back