What did I do wrong?

-
10-4, I think that is why he is encountering a problem.

I always thought the cone style was smaller in diameter.......evidently, it must not be.....at least where the contact is being made. I will hunt around for pics to compare.

I think it is because the cone SG tapers down towards the end opposite of the ring gear end. It appears smaller.

10-4, I think that is why he is encountering a problem.

Check it out. It appears the cone SG IS a little larger diameter RIGHT AT where the pinion would intersect. Look at the inside of the ring gear flange. See the difference?

CLUTCH SG.jpg

CONE SG.jpg

Thanks for the insight you win the "chicken dinner".

I remember when moving from GA to FL I had to put the original 489/3.23 back in. When I got to FL I could not find the rub spool cause the roll pin was always loose. Frustrated I put the 4.56 ring gear on the cone center from the 489. Bet if I choose a 3.73 or higher to put in now I would have never even had this issue! What are your thoughts on shaving the 3.55 pinion? It seems to contact or almost contact right on the edge where it is chamfered furthest from the ring gear. The power lock is long gone and a new one is $600 pricey!!! Not really interested in a used one that I have no way of trusting. The cone came out of my 28k car and maybe has 35k of use now so I trust it and it has always been tight!

as stated in my previous post ( pg1 ) this case had a 4.86 gear with the suregrip installed originally . when he went to the new off brand 3.55 gear you could not turn the pinion at all ,, so I simply increased the clearance by shaving down the pinion head -- you can do this with a angle grinder with a 80 or 100 grit disc on it ,,--take the pinion out of the case ,,measure the thickness of the pinion head for reference ,,, tape up the bearing to keep grit out ,, drill a hole in a piece of 2x4 to accept the pinion shaft and with the pinion vertical slowly and carefully grind the end of the pinion head --- grind some then take a measurement to see how much you have removed --.020 to .030 thou is plenty -- has no adverse effects on the gear

as stated in my previous post ( pg1 ) this case had a 4.86 gear with the suregrip installed originally . when he went to the new off brand 3.55 gear you could not turn the pinion at all

Let me start by saying "thank you" for responding. And all the others for that fact.

I re-read your first post and did not pick up on the fact that maybe you were saying the carrier was incorrect for the case thus causing the issue. I am actively looking for a machine shop to cut the pinion for me. Not interested in going at it with a angle grinder. Wish I still had my lathe cause I would have already trimmed either the pinion or the carrier.

Dr. Diff sells new powerlok's for about 350.

Thanks. Thought I saw 595 when I checked but they are listed at 395. Might call Cass and confirm. Course the gal with my wallet has to agree. :)

Called a guy I met at local car show last year and brought the pinion to him. Chucked it up in the lathe and started cutting. First pass only cut the about 1/4 way in, next pass went about half way, third about 3/4, not till the 4th pass did it cut all the way. Kept going until 030 was removed. Back to .094 shim stack with at least 025 clearance and happy with the pattern. The pinion head was obviously a bit concave. I will try for final assembly later tonight.

Cool. Glad you got it. This should be stickied for all the guys who swap carriers so they will know what to do.

Cool. Glad you got it. This should be stickied for all the guys who swap carriers so they will know what to do.

Thanks! Best thing was no charge for the service, owe him a beer!

Machine one or the other and fugedabowdit. Do not compromise the pattern for clearance. Make sure you cut enough.
I would take it off the pinion,cuz obviously (to me at least)it is the faulty piece.This way if you ever decide to sell it, it will fit with the next guys parts.

Oops, I didn't see page two! Glad to see you got it figured.

Well that depends on how you look at it. If you turned the diameter of the SG down, it would work in any742 case with any gear set?

Well that depends on how you look at it. If you turned the diameter of the SG down, it would work in any742 case with any gear set?

I would agree with that! Due to the fact the carrier bearings were already replaced I thought it was best to attack the pinion seeing I was still in set-up for the 2nd time! The pinion was hard though and trimming the carrier would have been easier. We figured due to the machining of the pinion gear it was work hardened!

If it matters the 4.56 gears I am replacing are original chrysler stamped pieces. They may have accounted for differing carriers?

Rob who controls the sticky??

Glad to hear you got it. I haven't ran into a problem like this on a Mopar rear but I did on a Ford 9" once.

Contact a moderator to have them make it a sticky

Car sure is more enjoyable to drive. "I can drive 65".:thumbsup:

Shifts better "Holds 1st and 2nd longer" in drive now as well. Been a long time that she has not been screaming trying to run down the highway. Just a little whine on coast at about 45 mph. I can live with it! Hope the wife likes it better now!

Lot of work just to change that one orange paint stripe on the center to three white ones!

Last edited:
-
Back