What Do I Do?

-

olddman

Reaction score
Tried to do a fender tag decode on a 1965 Dodge Dart. Looks like the fender tag is wrong.
Is there a way to find out correct number or what do I do? Is this something to be concerned about?

If you are asking is it the correct one for the car the SO number that is on the bottom of the tag should be stamped in the top lip of the core support in front of the radiator. If they dont match the tag is not from the body.

I do not have a build sheet for car. Will check for SO number on radiator bracket and let you know what I find out. New at this decoding part of car, something I had not thought of doing even though I have heard of it. Am I wrong for not doing this sooner?

I do not have a build sheet for car. Will check for SO number on radiator bracket and let you know what I find out. New at this decoding part of car, something I had not thought of doing even though I have heard of it. Am I wrong for not doing this sooner?

You won't lost out on anything because you didn't run the numbers before you bought the car! Not much to the early cars, and not much effects the value of them should the tag not read out right!! Post a pic here, I'll decode it for you!

Went out and looked for the SO number on the radiator bracket. This is what I found:

Fender tag reads:

Top Row: 1234567890

Third Row: ABCDEFGHJKLMNPQRSTUVWXYZ

31 55

Fourth Row: SO NUMBER BDY TRIM PAINT

B14 06122 L43 P4Y 881 A

Can you decode this for me please?

On the rows such as the top and 3rd the numbers are underneath their respective letters or numbers. Like what number on the top row is the 6 and 5 under? and what letter is the 3 1 5 5 under on the 3rd row? It looks like the correct tag as the 14 06122 match.

Top row the number 6 has a number 6 under it. Number 8 has number 5 under it.

Third row the letter A has number 3 under it. Letter B has number 1 under it. Letter Z has number 2 under it.

Fourth row SO has B14 under it. NUMBER has 06122 under it. BDY has L42 under it. Trim has P4Y under it. PAINT has 881 A under it.

6 5
ABCDEFGHJKLMNPQRSTUVWXYZ
31 55
SO NUMBER BDY TRIM PAINT
B14 06122 L42 P4Y 881 A

Can not get 6 under 6 and 5 under 8. Hope this helps.

Ok for a start
6=5 Vinyl roof
8=5 Stone shields
AB=31 273 4BBL
D=5 Automatic
E=5 Heater w/defroster
Z=2 Front buckets with console

Thanks a lot for you help. When I tried to use one of the sites to decode, it could not do it.
I knew that someone here could help me out again. Still learning and having a good time working on my Dart.

If you are asking is it the correct one for the car the SO number that is on the bottom of the tag should be stamped in the top lip of the core support in front of the radiator. If they dont match the tag is not from the body.

Or the core support is not from that car

The numbers on the fender tag and the radiator support match which is nice. The car it self is I think pretty nice. It is a 1965 Dodge Dart GT that is painted aqua with a white vinyl top.
Engine: Commando 273
484 lift cam
Solid liters
10:1 domed pistons
Morpar performance intake
Edelbrook performance series carb.
Electronic ignition
Remote oil filter
Billet pulleys
Doug Thorley ceramic coated headers through true duals and series 40 Flomasters
(notch out left rear valance to match right side and have exhaust tips like
original resonator)
Tranny cooler

Transmission: 904
1400 stall
Shift kit
Reverse valve body

Rear End: 8.75 (replaced the 7.25)
Posi track
3:55 gears
Pinion snubber

Wheels/ tires: Cragar S/S
Front tires: P205X70R 14
Rear tires: P225X70R 14

Any suggestions as to other things I can do would be great, please let me know. Will try to post a picture.

What would be correct for a 64 DART GT ?
SO number also on the core support ?
AB = 31, 273 4 barrel Commando?

Have been on a couple of sites that decode fender tags and from what I can tell for 1965
AB=31 is Commando 273 V8.
Thanks for the help, now know how to read a fender tag.

-
Back