What do you guys think?

-

1973Swinger

Reaction score
Ok guys, Ive got my combo just about together for my stroker 318 build and wanted to know what you guys think I should expect as far as HP and torque are concerned. Here are the details:

Engine:
318 bored .30 over
360 crank turned down
It comes out to 348ci
10:1 compression
Stock 402 heads cleaned up with mild porting
Edelbrock performer intake
Holley 650 DP
1 inch phenolic carb spacer
Summit Fuel pump
Summit double roller timing set
Summit part number 6901 cam 224/234 duration .441/.441 lift
Stock water pump
Hooker Headers
MSD distributor, coil and 6AL ignition box

Trans:
904 with B&M trans pack
TCI Breakaway 11" converter

Rearend:
8 1/4 with trac-loc
3.21 gears

Tires:
29x10.5-15 Hoosier Slicks

It will also have a custom adjustable pinion snubber and S/S springs.

What do you guys think?

BJR Racing said:
350-400 real world HP and 400+ torque

BJR Racing

Yup. The only thing I might suggest, is a smaller diameter slick. 3.21 and a 29.5" tire are close to land speed record setup. The smaller tire will sacrifice a little footprint, but will give back a litttle gearing. I'd run the smallest diameter slick you can fit on the wheel (like 26" maybe?), and run a std size radial for regular driving. It will give you 500 rpm or so more at the track.

Wow, thats a bit more than I was figuring. Thanks for the opinions and suggestions guys. Rumble, how the hell are ya, havent seen you much on MPC lately.

I think you'll be a little less than that, I just did the same setup but a bigger cam- .488"/.501" lift 268*/274* with 2.02" valves and a Air Gap with a Super Sucker spacer with a holley 650 (upgrading to 750) and I dynoed at around 370 hp and 400 ft/lbs- but you should have a very potent street engine! good luck!

Ok Guys, a couple of changes to the build. I picked up some 302 heads at a good price, so they will replace the other ones. Also, Ill be going with a different cam, something a little more aggressive, ill post the exact specs on that when I pick and order the cam. The last thing is the tire size, after a bunch of suggestion and some consideration, Ill be going with 26 inch M/T Street ETs.

I think I would drop down at least one ratio, maybe two. 3.55 or 3.91 if memory serves, unless street fuel economy is really important. I oughtta HONK anyway, but with 3.21 gears, you'll be just coming on in high at the 1/4 mile traps.

Well, the only problem is that I have to drive this puppy to the track, and the 4 that are closest to me arent exactly close. I dont want to eat up a tank of gas each way lol. Believe me, ive thought about it, and If it seems like Im not getting it up there until the traps, Ill get different gears, but I think Im gonna try the 321s and see what happens. I was actually planning on 355s or 373s to start with, but I got a great deal on the rear end, and it has brand new 321s. Might as well make use of them. Thanks for the advice though. :thumblef:

Ok, after getting a deal on some heads and people giving me some advice on some other things, I changed a few things about the build. Now that everything is ordered, here is the final setup on the engine. The tranny and rear end havent changed.

Engine:
318 bored .30 over
360 crank turned down
It comes out to 348ci
10:1 compression
302 heads
Edelbrock performer intake
Holley 650 DP
1 inch phenolic carb spacer
Summit Fuel pump
Summit double roller timing set
Comp Cams 270/270 duration .470/.470 lift
Comp cams Valve springs
Comp Cams Push rods
Melling Std vol. oil pump
Stock water pump
Hooker Headers
MSD Pro Billet distributor, coil and 6AL ignition box

Also, the tires will be 26x10.5-15 M/T ET Streets

These changes should get me pretty cose to the 400hp mark im hoping for.

I think those are good changes. They may get you a little closer, but more importantly, you'll have a lot more torque..which is what really gets the car moving. Wise moves. You can also change (in the future) to a higher (numerically lower) gear and run the tallest radial you can find to drive to the track. A set of 3.55s with a 26" tire "feel" like 3.91s, and then you put on a 28" tire to drive home, and they "feel" like 3.23s. Just a thought..

When I went from 3.91 to 4.30 I only picked up a .10 in the 1/4 and .05 at 60ft (I run 11.30's at 120). Since yours is a street car I would stay with the 3.21 it's not worth the extra wear and tear on everything for a .10 or two. This is unless you are doing heads up racing and need every little bit. You may get more seat of the pants feel with lower gears but it won't be much quicker.

No, Implanning on mostly bracket racing the car and alot of street cruising. The only heads up Ill be doing will just be for fun on a 8th or 10th mile strip, so im not worried about that.

-
Back