What do you think it could run?

-
High 11's if it hooks and the tune is ideal. Otherwise low-mid 12's at best. Too many variables. MPH maybe 108-109. That shows HP but ET affected by how it launches.

Is the car weight with or without driver? That's about .15 in 1/4 mile ET.
Myron, that weight is without driver, today I weigh 148.8 :D

We don’t know the cam or what heads and work was done to them so this greatly effects the possibilities.

Is this car sorted out and running great with no bog or hesitations, and doesn’t run out of fuel After a wide open run for 11-12 seconds? RPM will be up with 4.10’s and 26” tires. This could be quick and fun car when it’s all sorted out and run a lot to discover and fix any issues.

now the variables:
track altitude?
is the starting line prepped good or not.
what time of year January or July?
Does it have mufflers or open fenderwell headers?
Is the car weight 3240 with driver or without?
Does the driver add 140lbs or 300lbs?
Is the cam retarded or advanced?
does it have the right valve springs to run 6000 RPM?

It’s all guesses so I’ll say 13.50 @ 103 to start with.

Gainesville Raceway, so pretty much sea level
Would not know a good starting line if I layed on it
Most likely March- April-in Florida
Weight without 150 lb driver
Bought the car mostly built, don't know cam specs, hence the bumpity bump description :lol:
I assume goods springs, it has roller rockers.

That brings up a question; what is a good RPM to shift at safely?

Gainesville Raceway, so pretty much sea level
Would not know a good starting line if I layed on it
Most likely March- April-in Florida
Weight without 150 lb driver
Bought the car mostly built, don't know cam specs, hence the bumpity bump description :lol:
I assume goods springs, it has roller rockers.

That brings up a question; what is a good RPM to shift at safely?
  • A prepped track will want to peel the shoes off your feet if you walk on it.
  • Nobody can tell you a "good RPM" from their computer. I doubt it's 4k and I doubt it's 8k.... LOL. IF you have a feel and ear for engines, I'd go by that and see where that lands you. 5500 ? 6500 ? We know nothing of your cam or heads.

Low 12s right now.

10s in 1 simple step! (Minus the 600)

upload_2021-11-19_18-47-51.png

IMG_20200312_173945_287.jpg

mid 13's.
Compression, camshaft and cylinder head are a mystery.
It takes a little bit of all 3 to make good power with the 383.

I suspect the combo will be handicapped with the Torker single plane and not enough convertor.
I stand by my guesstimate.

11.50 as she sits.
MR RED X :lol: please state your reason for predicting a 11.50 with limited information on the engine.
How do we come to the conclusion of 10.5 comp, what piston ? what cylinder head open or closed chamber ? camshaft ? that could be the combo killer.
Generic details, generates a conservative guesstimate from me.

MR RED X :lol: please state your reason for predicting a 11.50 with limited information on the engine.
How do we come to the conclusion of 10.5 comp, what piston ? what cylinder head open or closed chamber ? camshaft ? that could be the combo killer.
Generic details, generates a conservative guesstimate from me.
:D We only have what he has given us. I cannot discredit any of it, nor can I discredit the tune. Some assume the info is incorrect and what they don't know is going to be disastrous. I said what I thought off of the info he provided

Last edited:
We dont know enough to be very exacting at all. Sounds like stock heads, very mild vert, who knows on cam?..
I would guess mid 12’s…..maybe…perhaps high 12’s
I dont see anything close to an 11 second deal here at all

Compression ratio is based on what the previous owner told me. I really was looking more for a worst case estimate assuming it is running cleanly on all eight holes.

Compression ratio is based on what the previous owner told me. I really was looking more for a worst case estimate assuming it is running cleanly on all eight holes.
Can't wait till she dances the 1320 :)

We dont know enough to be very exacting at all. Sounds like stock heads, very mild vert, who knows on cam?..
I would guess mid 12’s…..maybe…perhaps high 12’s
I dont see anything close to an 11 second deal here at all

I agree with all of this. If it were mine and it ran 12.50's I'd tickled pink because I'd be expecting low 13's, maybe. IMO with 26" tall tires and the 4.10 gear it'll be out of breath by 1100 or so feet.

To run an 11.50 using the pretty accurate Wallace calculators (among other charts) show ideally needing to run a 1.60 for the 60’. Think that’s doable with a 3000 stall and a single plane? Umm...

60' to 1/4 Mile Calculator - Wallace Racing
Who knows, but I would think it would 60' better than my truck, means he is a few hundred pounds lighter, has more converter, and more cubes. Gears are close, the truck cuts 1.8's. If the tune is right, and the builder of it all had some thought, it may get a 1.6 .... to be seen shortly we hope !

I think with those short tires & 4:10 it's gonna probably going to run out of steam before 1320.
My guess is 12.25
Any traction help like caltracs or better springs ?
Very cool car by the way & I hope it goes 9's for ya lol.

Last edited:
Who knows, but I would think it would 60' better than my truck, means he is a few hundred pounds lighter, has more converter, and more cubes. Gears are close, the truck cuts 1.8's. If the tune is right, and the builder of it all had some thought, it may get a 1.6 .... to be seen shortly we hope !
I’m only going off Wallace’s calculator and the charts in the book “How To Hook And Launch” while Definitely not absolutes, they (along with others I’m sure) give “ideal” numbers for 60’, 330’ and so forth. I use both to gauge how my setup does and I’ve got a stack of time slips that show my various times are where they should be according to those references. I’m now running consistent dead hooking 1.59-1.60 60’s and 11.45@114 (my Mph is slightly less than what Wallace shows ideally,
D7BB73E4-BB1F-42A2-B702-0AEC874E70D6.png
due to my aero handicap at the big end) What et/Mph are you expecting with the hoped for 1.6 60’?

I’m only going off Wallace’s calculator and the charts in the book “How To Hook And Launch” while Definitely not absolutes, they (along with others I’m sure) give “ideal” numbers for 60’, 330’ and so forth. I use both to gauge how my setup does and I’ve got a stack of time slips that show my various times are where they should be according to those references. I’m now running consistent dead hooking 1.59-1.60 60’s and 11.45@114 (my Mph is slightly less than what Wallace shows ideally, due to my aero handicap at the big end) What et/Mph are you expecting with the hoped for 1.6 60’?
well, the end of my statement was for his Duster when I referenced 1.6's. But, here's my experience. When running a true street car, the 60 ft, and sometimes even the 330 ft is a little soft for the 1/4 ET/MPH. Reason? Because Wallace and other charts are made for DRAG RACING. It's assumed racing gears, racing converter, two of which is seldom found on a true street car. So I have always found the mph to be greater than the actual ET. ALL of my street cars mph better than the et. In other words, my 318 duster should run a 13.9 by the mph, but runs a 14.9 due to 2.76 gears/stock converter. My point is, his car MAY run a mid 11 off of a 1.7 60ft'.

-
Back