what do you use for heat

-
Built this over the summer and just finished it a few weeks ago and got it installed, I have less than 30.00 tied up in the whole thing. I made it out of a old electric hot water heater, I just need to make a heat exchanger for it.........but it works great just like it is......

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

Natural gas central heat in the house. I would like to get wood burner and save a little money. I have a few acres of free trees behind the house.
I have a Ready heater 170 in the garage. It only takes a few minutes to get it hot, just need fresh air about every hours.

Natural gas for the house. If Sarah and I can get the financing in place I would like to take a look at the geothermal units eventually. The garage has no insulation so I fire up the old kerosene torpedo heater to keep the chill off if need to go in and work.

Natural Gas in the house.

Natural gas in the garage. I have a Reznor Low intensity infrared Heater. works like a charm.

Built this over the summer and just finished it a few weeks ago and got it installed, I have less than 30.00 tied up in the whole thing. I made it out of a old electric hot water heater, I just need to make a heat exchanger for it.........but it works great just like it is......

I see slants!! The one on the right is a 170? Could the one on the left be a 198? Wanna get rid of them? =P~ PM if you do.

Forced hot water baseboard heated by natural gas,and a pellet stove in the living room...

High efficiency natural gas in house and hanging natural gas in shop. Modine Hot Dawg 75,000 BTU. Hooking up gas & vent today.

In the house we are using a high effeciency natural gas, and in the garage, I use Southern Comfort!! I may buy one of those reddy heaters. I just finished insulating the garage and have a n/g furnace waiting to have it and the hydro hooked up.

Boy have i got this one covered. Outside i have a Hardy wood burning furnace that heats the house and shop. It's a stainless steel unit that sets in the yard and heats water that flows under ground to a radiator placed in the duct work in front of the blower. The shop has one also and does a hell of a job for the price of beans. In the house i do have alternate systems that will kick on if i were to be gone and the wood burned out. I have the heat pump with the electric strips. In the system also is a Hi E gas unit that runs on propane. Use it very little. In the master bath we have a ventless 3 plank wall heater for the times the ice kills the power. In the kitchen we have a very large commercial stove with 4 burners and a 24" griddle. In the car storage 3 car garage i have another 3 plank ventless heater that i keep on very low so as to just keep temps bareable. Some of you guys with high energy bills might want to consider a waste heat recovery system. Something as simple and filtering the exhaust from the clothes dryer in the laundry. Being a Building Contractor i think on efficiency when i can so as to cut that bill down. In my spec house i'm working on i have been toying with different methods of heat. I have now found my solution. A buddy of mine has a recently rebuilt Geothermal unit that the EPA wont let him run because of lack of area for the unit so i'm putting in a leach field for his septic system and he's giving me the unit. I've gotten quotes from HVAC people of $25000 to sell me one. Some of our banks are adding $25000 to the appraisals for that system being in the house. I could sure use that.. I think i have it covered. Let's start a thread on Waste Heat Recovery systems so some of our friends here can realize more hobby money in their pockets.
Small Block

A microwave oven (to heat the cider before adding rum).

Seriously: Natural gas forced air. You didn't ask about hot water, but after a long, expensive, losing battle trying to keep a tankless on-demand water heater running with even minimally acceptable reliability and performance, we gave up and put in a regular natural gas tank-type unit.

I burn wood in a fireplace insert when allowed by the air quality board. I run the central fan to circulate heat through the house. The wood is from trimming branches. Two Mulberry trees grow like varmints. No impact on global climate since the same CO2 results whether it burns or rots. Probably cuts my gas bill by half and I have to get rid of the limbs anyway.

funny

I see slants!! The one on the right is a 170? Could the one on the left be a 198? Wanna get rid of them? =P~ PM if you do.

Yes one is a 64 170 and the other is a 67 225.......one is going to be a rebuild for my girls daily and the other is going to be built into a dual side draft turbo motor that will be stuffed into a homemade bomber........

natural gas forced air in the house, wood stove when allowed by the air pollution control agency, gas fireplace in the basement apartment, and wood stove in my garage...

Natural gas hot water radiant floor heat.
I put it in a few years ago and it is the best heat I have ever had.
Set at 62, the 1st floor is 70 right now and it is about 10 outside.
It is very efficient and low cost to operate.
As it was once explained to me, it heats mass (the floor, the couch, the cabinets, etc) and once that is heated it takes less to keep it there- plus when you walk around the house the hot air is not in your face, it is at your feet= no shoes required on the coldest days.
It is great for playing on the floor with my 3 year old too.

Some one mentioned on-demand water heaters, and many issues.
I have one and it is assume. My monthly bill dropped about $75+.
I have heard many units have issues. Mine is a Rinnai and no problemos.

I just post up a picture of CudaChick68 on the wall and that does the job just fine.

About 25 cords of wood a year........... LOL

I have a blaze king, twin blower, 2900 square feet, and I blow heat into the 24x40 garage....

I burned 29 cords of wood last year, through one stove.

About 25 cords of wood a year........... LOL

I have a blaze king, twin blower, 2900 square feet, and I blow heat into the 24x40 garage....

I burned 29 cords of wood last year, through one stove.
do you ever get above freezing up there? 29 cords, did you have it stacked all at once? how much ground did it cover?

Geothermal. Closed loop, 8X160' wells, -32C outside right now and the auxiliary electric heat is'nt even connected. Pump runs constantly, but I can maintain 22C in the house. That's -26F outside for 72F inside on about 5KW of power.

Natural gas in the house and a 36,000 btu electric shop furnace hanging from the ceiling in the garage. The best decision I made for the garage, it's very efficient, I set the thermostat on the wall at 60-65 in October and don't touch it til April, the bill hasn't gone more than $30-$35 a month even during the real cold spells. Although, my garage is very well insulated.

The more important question would be, who else has cable or satellite in the garage?

The more important question would be, who else has cable or satellite in the garage?

Got you covered with the Cable in the Garage! The electrician who wired my garage said I had to have it. (That's what I told my wife!)

I just post up a picture of CudaChick68 on the wall and that does the job just fine.

Haaaaa too funny!!! I'm glad I can help.

Central gas heat/air conditioning in the house, and a Dayton 17,000 BTU electric heater mounted to the ceiling in the shop (a nice ebay score last year). Though gas is cheaper, it's a definite no-no around combustible powders.

Yep Fish, we have the DSL networked into the shop. Isn't that a given? Gotta have FABO on demand.
Small Block
That's among the next list of tricks to do for the garage.

I light my farts.
Now that's funny.

Geothermal. Closed loop, 8X160' wells, -32C outside right now and the auxiliary electric heat is'nt even connected. Pump runs constantly, but I can maintain 22C in the house. That's -26F outside for 72F inside on about 5KW of power.

NOW that's cool!

-
Back