what do you use for heat

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
just wondering what the cold weather members use for heat....we are using a pellet stove......

I burn wood in a fireplace insert when allowed by the air quality board. I run the central fan to circulate heat through the house. The wood is from trimming branches. Two Mulberry trees grow like varmints. No impact on global climate since the same CO2 results whether it burns or rots. Probably cuts my gas bill by half and I have to get rid of the limbs anyway.

I have a heat pump with the electric strip wired to lock out above 32*. I also have a wood stove I use on the weekends. ...Dean

High effeciency gas for the house, air tight wood stove in the shop. I have a mid efficiency sitting waiting to go into new garage (whenever it gets built).

Mid efficiency gas,wish it was a high efficiency.Garage.........cold as Hell!8)

Wood stove and a fan in our 50x75 shop, we see 60*+ when it's about 20 out side, soon getting an LP heater to break the chill til the stove's burnin good.

Natural gas in the house and garage.

Extra natural gas heater in the house:

35_Small_.jpg

These 2 guys in the new garage 45,000 btu each

new271_Small_.jpg

new269_Small_.jpg

Propane in the shop. :) Gotta open the door now and then so I don't choke though.... Pretty clean but ventilation (fresh air) every now and again is good.

Natural gas in the house, Propane in the garage and the shop is getting heated floors!

Heat pump 14 sir for the home and an extra pair of socks and longjohns, coveralls for the nest.

do not smoke 030.jpg

High efficiency nat gas heat pumps and gas fireplaces in the house. The shop has a wood burning stove and a LP heater for use while we wait on the stove to heat up.

Am in the early stages of repairing/remodeling a 140 year old small farmhouse- no central heat, never had it (I know, I grew up in it)- using freestanding portable electric heaters as primary, with kerosun type heaters as backup. Eventual goal is hybrid pellet/corn stove with electric support units. Gee, all it takes is money...

in the house.

Corn furnace (home grown = cheap) Amazingly wam :)
natural gas in the warmer days.

out in the shop 30 X 30 shed we burn wood in a home made stove. Used an old outside storage propane tank and cut it in half. Then added a door and burn garbage, wood, things that look burnable and anything that needs to be disposed of. (kind of like an incinerator)
Also use the same wood stove for warming up bearings to install on shafts.. its multi purpose :)

primary is oil heat.

we bought a wood stove a few years ago and hardly run the oil heat at all in the winter anymore. made it through 2 winters on one 275 gal tank of oil.. and the house is warmer then it ever was..:) got all my oak firewood for free also. have enough wood here for probably 3 more years too.. gotta love that..

this is the little soap stone stove i have.

product_main_photo_4.jpg

Am in the early stages of repairing/remodeling a 140 year old small farmhouse- no central heat, never had it (I know, I grew up in it)- using freestanding portable electric heaters as primary, with kerosun type heaters as backup. Eventual goal is hybrid pellet/corn stove with electric support units. Gee, all it takes is money...

I remember my uncles and other folks keeping a hot fire going outside with rocks around the fire 8) you could put in a bucket with a shovel and carry them in to warm the sleeping area :happy10: You would be surprised how long a clean rock the size of a big potato will stay hot and warm, I would not recommend this but it sure felt good to put a wet wash cloth on them and steam rises and warm's up the wash cloth for a quick face washing and a shave early in the morning :-D
Remember this was over 40 years ago.

-
Back