what do you use for heat

-
propane in the house and pellet stove in the garage with a 4500 watt forced air heater just to help knock the chill off until the stove gets good and toasty

separator.gif
Rice coal stoker, wood and oil in the house and LP in the shop. Last year cost under $1000 and about 3 cord of wood (sweat equity). House is about 2700 ft.

do you ever get above freezing up there? 29 cords, did you have it stacked all at once? how much ground did it cover?

It starts getting below freezing in the beginning of October, and stays that way until the middle of April. It is thrown into a pile, I stack it a cord at a time, on the front porch............
I'm not keeping track this year, but I split a cord last week, and I have about 3 wheelbarrow loads left......

About 25 cords of wood a year........... LOL

I have a blaze king, twin blower, 2900 square feet, and I blow heat into the 24x40 garage....

I burned 29 cords of wood last year, through one stove.

Wow that's allot of wood. I have a tight log cabin and the garage is well insulated 28x32. I burn 10 cord between them both. But I do have a oil burner with base boards in the house.

Heat pump and a pellet stove. Can't use the stove unless its below 15 cause it just gets too hot in the house.

Hey Blownfish, I have Sat hooked to the garage as well. At one time I used my riding mower as a recliner. I watch more TV there than in the house.

For hot water, I have had a Bosch tankless gas water heater since 2002. Not supposed to work for a whole house, but no issue other than the flow rate drops when the washing machine or dishwasher turns on. My problem is the opposite.

If the flowrate drops below a minimum, the gas turns off. The spec said 0.5 gpm, which I tested and considered OK. However, Bosch probably tested in Vermont with a ground temperature ~40 F. In Sacramento with ~60 F inlet water, it requires 1 gpm at max setting and even more if lower. It is easy to turn the hot water down too much and get a slug of cold water that takes 20 sec to clear in the rear bath. My brother-in-law installed a Bosch which only turns on at the max flow rate. That is in Jax, FL with ground temp ~70 F. His is also pilot-less and that takes a few seconds to spin up the igniter before the gas lights, which is a pain at the sink.

Eventually, I will put another tankless one outside my rear bath. Then if it turns off, it will just be a few seconds wait, plus no fighting the washer. All models I have seen have a min flow, some even higher than Bosch, and some are very expensive (>$1K). If Bosch could make one that keeps running at lower flows, it would be great in southern states where a single unit can satisfy the whole house.

2 ton 16 seer dual fuel unit for the down stairs. under 32 degrees the gas kicks on. 2 ton 10 seer upstairs.

kerosene in the garage.

The house I am in has a fire place. It works very well as it is old and put in before fire places were just for looks.

Geothermal. Closed loop, 8X160' wells, -32C outside right now and the auxiliary electric heat is'nt even connected. Pump runs constantly, but I can maintain 22C in the house. That's -26F outside for 72F inside on about 5KW of power.

Same as you with 10x150' loops. And my system is running the same way. Still have to convince my friends it works :)

Grant

-
Back