What does Formula-S stand for

-

bumnround

Reaction score
I was in the garage after work the other day having a cold one with my 67 notch when April (one of my 4 girls) pointed at the badge and asked what the S means. I could only come up with super-fast.Kinda sad. So what is the definition? Great site,thanks

I was in the garage after work the other day having a cold one with my 67 notch when April (one of my 4 girls) pointed at the badge and asked what the S means. I could only come up with super-fast.Kinda sad. So what is the definition? Great site,thanks

The "Formula S" stands for the formula that seperates the stock Barracuda
from the S modell, a more powerful engine, bigger brakes, tach in the dash,
front swaybars, etc.
It´s the formula that makes the Barracuda a killer car, 8)

Thanks Swedfish for the info,but I understand that part. I am wondering what it stands for like a SS is a super sport or a GT means grand touring etc... So does the S stand for sport. How did they come up with formula?

Not sure it stands for anything other than "S".

Plymouth just used it to label a package which contained the HP 273, HD suspension, nice interior, tach etc... Sort of a forerunner of the R/T packages for the dodge cars.

I was always told back i nthe day S was for Special and Special Edition?

Speed? No but seriously I believe it is Sport

I was always told back i nthe day S was for Special and Special Edition?

Yeah, my back in the day memories are that S noted Super or Sport. In any even an S model had higher content with more power being part of the package. As for the accuracy of this memory, I plead that I was alive in the late 60s and early 70s.

The S in formula S stands for .... Scott I am not old enought to remeber any of the great races that Ma mopar got herself into, however with the great power of film and now with Internet:cheers: I can travel back in history and see some of the greats at work I.E. a young engineer by the name of Scott Harvey that liked to race in his spare (or not so spare time).
Would have thought some of you old timers would have known this :happy10: but I do understand cars were not the only thing back then that really had pure power to it heh. Crazy idea though to incorprate your name in the badging of a performance vehicle backt then, Im sure no one did that.... M/T... Hurst...Shelby......

The S in formula S stands for .... Scott I am not old enought to remeber any of the great races that Ma mopar got herself into, however with the great power of film and now with Internet:cheers: I can travel back in history and see some of the greats at work I.E. a young engineer by the name of Scott Harvey that liked to race in his spare (or not so spare time).
Would have thought some of you old timers would have known this :happy10: but I do understand cars were not the only thing back then that really had pure power to it heh. Crazy idea though to incorprate your name in the badging of a performance vehicle backt then, Im sure no one did that.... M/T... Hurst...Shelby......

I`ve read that too but never anywhere that had any legitimacy so I don`t know whether to believe it or not.

I cannot confirm this to be 100% true either but read it in a old rally trivia articale

Ok I hate to pass on bad info. so I decided to go to the source (or as close as I could get)

I apologize in advance that this is not directly about Team Harco, rather the only way I know to contact Harvy Jr.
Can you please tell me what the "S" stands for in formula S ? I have heard that your father marked the S to represent his name, but I also believe he was formulating a better "sport" package for the scca races. Very trivial question I know, any insight to the emblem of these great cars would be wonderful.
Thank you in advance,

Surf, Yes - it was intended to represent "Sport". That's not to say that my father wouldn't facetiously claim it stood for "Scott".
Cheers,
Scott (Jr)

Thats the best I could do guys. take it or leave it:read2:

Ok I hate to pass on bad info. so I decided to go to the source (or as close as I could get)

Thats the best I could do guys. take it or leave it:read2:

Good stuff there valiantsurf, I don`t know your source but he must`ve been one of the inner circle of Chrysler engineers. I like his answer and that`s what I`m going with. In the early 60`s there was a desire for American cars to handle like European "SPORTS" cars. That might have had an influence on the "S" package. I did like Homecloned`s answer though. :D

I always thought that's the only cuda that came with the 383... it should have been if it wasn't! LOL.

It had to be faster than the 273 and /6.

Thanks for all the action guy's. Surf is probably right but I liked homecloned's answer very much. thank's again FABO

The "Formula S" stands for the formula that seperates the stock Barracuda
from the S modell, a more powerful engine, bigger brakes, tach in the dash,
front swaybars, etc.
It´s the formula that makes the Barracuda a killer car, 8)

FWIW, the tach was not part of the Formula S package (at least in the 67-69 cars). The tach was an option.

FWIW, the tach was not part of the Formula S package (at least in the 67-69 cars). The tach was an option.

I picked this info from my "Barracuda & Challenger a source book" where there were an ad from the -65 Plymouth Barracuda which was the first year for the Formula S.

I always thought that's the only cuda that came with the 383... it should have been if it wasn't! LOL.

That would have been awesome! There would be many more BB cars around!
The 383 had to have the Formula S option.
There is a kool sales brochure that lists all of the options.

67_Barracuda_Pocket_Card_2.jpg

I picked this info from my "Barracuda & Challenger a source book" where there were an ad from the -65 Plymouth Barracuda which was the first year for the Formula S.

You`re correct Swedefish, the tach was originally part of the "S" package. Chrysler saw an opportunity to make a few more dollars so it became optional with the next generation.

-
Back