What does this wire do ?

-

Bud27

Reaction score
Does the second wire from starter solenoid complete charging circuit ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 323
Is that the solenoid or starter relay that you are talking about? I can't make it out in the picture....

I believe it goes down to the relay . The diagram I'm looking at has a wire going to both from there straight back to the battery . This one was hacked off by previous owner . I have just the larger cable I believe that one goes to the starter solenoid .

For the starter, the big wire goes to the stud on the starter relay.

The smaller wire also goes to another connection on the starter relay that completes the circuit when you turn the key to engage the starter.

The yellow wire at the bottom of the relay goes to the neutral safety switch so if it is in gear, it won't start. It will allow it only to start in park or neutral (out of gear)....

Now I'm really confused . Without this wire the car starts and runs fine . Do you know if current is passed back through this wire to the battery to complete the charging circuit ?

Looking over the diagram it is part of the charging circui .

Looking over the diagram it is part of the charging circui .

It's kinda hard to help you without any info on what year, and model car you are working on....

I'm behind on my crystal ball payments and the signal has been shut off.....

It's kinda hard to help you without any info on what year, and model car you are working on....

I'm behind on my crystal ball payments and the signal has been shut off.....

Sorry it's 65 barracuda that's been kicking my mental @ss. With the draining battery issue.

So you have the proper factory service manual. If not, you can download one here....

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=109

I would then trace the charging system wires. Put a test light between the battery and one the negative terminal and disconnect different wires until the light goes off.

If the light is on, you are drawing current...

I would first try disconnecting one of the main bulkhead connectors one at a time and then replace them until you find which harness to look in. Then zero in on it more and more until you find it....

Luckily the 65 electrical system is not as bad as some of the mid 70's cars....

So you have the proper factory service manual. If not, you can download one here....

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=109

I would then trace the charging system wires. Put a test light between the battery and one the negative terminal and disconnect different wires until the light goes off.

If the light is on, you are drawing current...

I would first try disconnecting one of the main bulkhead connectors one at a time and then replace them until you find which harness to look in. Then zero in on it more and more until you find it....

Luckily the 65 electrical system is not as bad as some of the mid 70's cars....
I've gone thru the entire Engine compartment and cleaned and replaced wires and cleaned up connectors . Then cleaned the fuse holders that were rusted . No more draining but wasn't charging that freakin wire completes the charging system and I've been killing my self going thru the engine compartment and like a dumb@ss didn't think much of this wire . I thought it was some kind of ground. I got a temp 4 gauge and will replace tomorrow see if my daughter can start cruising the Cuda .
Thanks for your input Krazy

I've gone thru the entire Engine compartment and cleaned and replaced wires and cleaned up connectors . Then cleaned the fuse holders that were rusted . No more draining but wasn't charging that freakin wire completes the charging system and I've been killing my self going thru the engine compartment and like a dumb@ss didn't think much of this wire . I thought it was some kind of ground. I got a temp 4 gauge and will replace tomorrow see if my daughter can start cruising the Cuda .
Thanks for your input Krazy

What about under the dash?

Have you looked under the dash? Lots of do-it-your-selfers make mistakes under there. Especially when they hack in a newer radio. You never know what previous owners or mechanics have done under there....

also check any added gauges for electrical hook up.

Also what about the rear tail light wiring? Could the short be in there somewhere?

Interior light circuit?

What about the side interior lights near the back seat? Check the connector that holds the bulbs. On my 68 fastbacks one time one of the the clips that hold the bulb pushed back a little grounded to the body....

Cigarette lighter circuit?

The cigarette lighter, tail lamps and interior light circuits are "live" when the key is off (still can have power)....

What about under the dash?

Have you looked under the dash? Lots of do-it-your-selfers make mistakes under there. Especially when they hack in a newer radio. You never know what previous owners or mechanics have done under there....

also check any added gauges for electrical hook up.

Also what about the rear tail light wiring? Could the short be in there somewhere?

Interior light circuit?

What about the side interior lights near the back seat? Check the connector that holds the bulbs. On my 68 fastbacks one time one of the the clips that hold the bulb pushed back a little grounded to the body....

Cigarette lighter circuit?

The cigarette lighter, tail lamps and interior light circuits are "live" when the key is off (still can have power)....
I have the cluster half way out the tail lights and interior lights all work fine the problem is the reverse lights . Under the dash they tapped into the ignition for the radio and I buttoned that up
The constant power was ran though the bulk head and connected to the fusible link I added a fuse holder to that and pig tailed it for the aftermarket radio . So now the dash light and reverse lights need trouble shooting then I think it will be safe .

instrument lamps feed off a multi splice that includes radio power, has feed to 11 pin dash plug, fed from instrument lamp fuse.

Backup light wire goes straight to back up lamp switch on trans then from trans to back up lamp switch (in console) I thing its a micro switch off the linkage under the console cover. They look to be both fed off same fuse

I replied to your questions in your original thread. It kind of seems that you're jumping around quite a bit through the electrical system. May I suggest we take a step back and work on one issue at a time. Other wise it gets confusing for everyone. I know your daughter is probably impatient to use her new car but sometimes what seems like the slow way through is realty the quickest way through a problem and its becoming apparent this car has multiple electrical issues.

Yeah I know , I'm going through this car and its like I see , I fix and go back to what I was working on .Ive gone thru the entire engine compartment and cleaned everything as far as contacts . I'm going crazy trying to troubleshoot the charging problem . My daughter printed the wire diagram out both pages. I then taped them together and traced out the wires with high lighters which was a huge help . Having ADD DOESN'T HELP ! Lol but I know now the wiring is good and wont be a problem in the future so I'm going to replace the hacked wire and hopefully she will charge .

and hopefully she will charge .
Are you talking about the car's electrical system, or that your daugther will accept a credit card for making the diagrams for you? (Sorry, I could not resist...LOL.) You are really hitting this hard and my hat is off to you.

BTW, have you looked at the brakes? With someone so near and dear to you getting into this car, it would be wise IMO to go through that 110%, considering the condition of the electrics...... not wanting to be scary, but I can remember the things running aorund in the bakc of my mind when my son was that age.

... Without this wire the car starts and runs fine
Strange. I can't think of any wire that could stop the starter relay from actuating by being attached, anywhere on the car. Normally, if one removes any wire on the starter relay, the car won't start. Could be something weird like a bad ground that connecting the wire provides a current path. Insure that the chassis of the car is connected to BATT-, otherwise many things won't work correctly.

I can't make out much in the photo of post #1. My 65 Dart's starter wiring should be the same as your car (until I rewired things). Post some better photos and we can help more.

Are you talking about the car's electrical system, or that your daugther will accept a credit card for making the diagrams for you? (Sorry, I could not resist...LOL.) You are really hitting this hard and my hat is off to you.

BTW, have you looked at the brakes? With someone so near and dear to you getting into this car, it would be wise IMO to go through that 110%, considering the condition of the electrics...... not wanting to be scary, but I can remember the things running aorund in the bakc of my mind when my son was that age.

Ok today I lifted car and got my fat butt under and the mystery wire is cut at both ends closer to a #4 wire there's two wires molded to it what leads me to think could this be and old battery cable ? the other two cables one if I could remember correctly was brown went to starter solenoid and a red one that is connected the the pos post on the starter along with the pos battery cable . There's a black cable going to the block .
As soon as I get this car to charge it's going in for complete brake service . Her mom has a 1972 convertible mustang and the brake master cylinder was leaking and they didn't bother to tell me and she rear ended a civic luckily it just creased the plastic bumper . I was pissed till I got in the car to drive it home and the pedal went to the floor ! We lucked out on that one . She told me she was diving safe and I thought she was texting or playing with the radio . No damage to mamas car . Gave them 200 to dismiss it cool couple smiled and said thanks .

-
Back