What engine for my Wife's 70 dart

-
Either there was a 340 in there at one time or someone was going to dress the 318 up. The exh mans are from a 72-73 340. There not the desirable 68-70 mans but still worth something to someone. They could be used on the 318 too. You will need to change one motor mount in order to put a 340/360 in there. Crackedback has those. Otherwise, you may need a driveshaft mod depending on the trans and you might have to rethink the rearend if its a 7.25 and anyone will be getting on the 360 at all. GL

It has a 7.25

Luke

A teen will be just fine. Injected even better.

Anyone have a link to a field service manual for this car. I have found a copy I can download but I'd like a paperback one for the shop.

Luke

I really like 318's (and all small block mopars), but I wouldn't pay any more than 150 for a complete, running 318 2bbl. So many out there and if your the seller, there is very little interest.
I personally like the roller cam LA motors, saves the age old flat tappet needing zinc issue. As far as your wifey dealing with a carb'd car, you can limit the issues by having a perfect working carb (4bbl or 2bbl) and choke set up. Heads that have a fresh valve job aid in cold starts, and idling.

DO a 360.............
No! They MUST do a 408 Stroker! MUST. I don't care what his wife wants, or how it will be used, it's what I want! IF he doesn't do it MY way, he is a complete numbskull!!!!!!!!!
Car needs to run 10.50's or he did it wrong! Period! If his wife don't like it, divorce her. NOW!!!! Remember, EVERYONE MUST build their car to MY WANTS..... :D

No! They MUST do a 408 Stroker! MUST. I don't care what his wife wants, or how it will be used, it's what I want! IF he doesn't do it MY way, he is a complete numbskull!!!!!!!!!
Car needs to run 10.50's or he did it wrong! Period! If his wife don't like it, divorce her. NOW!!!! Remember, EVERYONE MUST build their car to MY WANTS..... :D

No a simple 360 build will be fine I'm sure she'll appreciate blowing the doors off of lameass 318's:D:D

A 318 with the right gear and tire size can get you around 20mpg. Lots of cruisin' on a gew bucks.

i have a 70 dart custom and it came with a 318 with an auto from the factory but its gone. i am thinking about building this car for my wife and would like to stick with a 318.
my question is, what year span 318s will work in this car. i would like to simply drop one in without any worries about changing stuff. besides the obvious, same year as mine but different car, like a 318 out of a coronet, what else will work?

Luke

View attachment 1714993404

One word.

HEMI.

THe rest is just playing around.

How about a 318 bored and stroked to 392, then he can pick up the 392 number badges and get a wedge badge made up and throw that on the hood/fender/rear stripe and smoke the 392 hemi guys. ;)

How about a 318 bored and stroked to 392, then he can pick up the 392 number badges and get a wedge badge made up and throw that on the hood/fender/rear stripe and smoke the 392 hemi guys. ;)
392 Wedge. I like that one.

Now back to the original question why not start with 42 extra c.i. to begin with..

I got a nice stock 73 Lo-C teener, that goes like stink with nothing but; headers, a TQ, and 4.30s, and gets great mileage with 2.73s. But swapping chunks gets old in a hurry.And when the ring-seal goes,it will be shredder-fodder.

Shoot for the price of a hemi you can build a turbo small block and still kill most cars out there, or better yet twin turbo fuel injection, like this. aka mad darts old car now mine.

IMG_2701.jpg

I'd throw the standard 318 in with a few basic upgrades:
  1. Coil / Leads / NGK plugs
  2. Intake & 600cfm 4bbl
  3. Headers
That should get the car running easily. You can even just use all the stock gear (the above is in order of preference) but I would definitely put a true 12v coil in it so you can ditch the ballast resistor and get better starting. New battery/starter leads will help here, too.

I have found the Holley 'Street Avenger' 570 to be a great mild carb for most stockish smallblocks, gets reasonable economy out of the box, too. Otherwise a standard 600cfm Holley with 64 man jets, 8.5 power valve and plain (also called grey or standard) vacuum spring will do.

If you find it bogs with full throttle then try a brown or black spring to delay the opening of the secondaries.
If you feel the secondaries kick in they are not opening soon enough, try a pink or purple spring - you will be able to get a 'vacuum spring kit' for not much money which includes the most commonly used springs.

Hope that helps.

Is there an easy and safe way to remove the trim for the vinyl top on the rear between trunk and rear window
Also, the rear window trim as well. I bought a tool that looks like a Y with hooks on it.

Luke

IMG_5547.JPG

-
Back