What engine is this?

-

newtomuscle

Reaction score
OK long story short. I purchased a 1974 Duster sight unseen. I have a picture of the engine and was trying to see if anybody could tell me for sure if its a 318,340,360,383 or 440. I know sounds stupid just need the help.

Attachments

• Motor.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 689
I can tell you for sure that it's not a B (383, 400) or an RB (440). Without seeing casting numbers (on the driver's side of the block) telling rather or not it's a 360 or smaller LA is hard to tell by the pics.

Here's a hint, though: if it's an older 360 the damper will be massive thanks to the external balancing. If it's a newer (LA) 360, the damper will be notched. All that, assuming it's a stock damper.

Other than that, jack it up and look on the left side of the block for casting numbers.

My best guess would be a 340 or 360 because if has the big single plane intake, demon carb, and it looks like a Mallory distributor. That engine should scream on the top end if built for those parts, so that I why I am going with the big small block for my guess...

Here is a picture of the outside!!!! Maybe somebody on here knows who's car this once was? Its a long shot.

Attachments

• outside.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 656
Here is a picture of the outside!!!! Maybe somebody on here knows who's car this once was? Its a long shot.

doesn't look familiar to me, but then again, I don't hang out with chevy guys :banghead:

Whats the call out on the scoop? Doesnt matter but maybe its correct. Look under driver header/manifold for casting number or look under front of driver head for some light stampings. Good chance you wont see them but they do tell you what it is.

I like the color, Taz can bail though.

**** I know him I know him. He used to come over to our house and eat chicken **** I know him.... :blob:

That doesn't sound right. :???:

****, I know him I know him... He used to come over to our house and eat chicken, ****... I know him.... :blob:

That's better... :D

No wait.... That's not him... #-o

Whats the call out on the scoop? Doesnt matter but maybe its correct. Look under driver header/manifold for casting number or look under front of driver head for some light stampings. Good chance you wont see them but they do

I like the color, Taz can bail though.
The call out on the hood is 440.

**** I know him I know him. He used to come over to our house and eat chicken **** I know him.... :blob:

That doesn't sound right. :???:

****, I know him I know him... He used to come over to our house and eat chicken, ****... I know him.... :blob:

That's better... :D

No wait.... That's not him... #-o

Lol!!

Stock for that year would be 318 or 360. Most likely, 'Teen.
If you had some close-ups of the motor it might help, but all smallies look pretty much the same from the outside.

were down to 318 340 or 360 dist.is in the front on big blocks,tim check no on side of block under manifols

Some more random pictures.

Attachments

• motor 2.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 598
  • motor 3.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 597
  • inside 1.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 593
  • rear.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 586
Those look like the 340 Hi-Perf exhaust manifolds, but that means very little in terms of what the engine is.
The only two to come STOCK in that car were the 318 and 360. You will probably have to get the number off the block for a positive ID, but as was said, if you look at the damper, if it's big and honkin' and says "FOR USE WITH CAST CRANK ONLY" then it's either a 360 or late model 340. If it's thin and slim, it could be an early 340 or 'teen.

I see a few things that don't sit right with me...

First is the fuel line. It has a fuel cell in the trunk, probably an electric fuel pump, a fuel regulator mounted on the front of the pass inner fender with a RUBBER HOSE RUBBING ON THE ELECTRICAL WIRES going to the voltage regulator that someone put on the inner fender.

Then they route the rubber hose all the way around the world, behind the back of the carb, around the driver's side, and then up to the fuel inlet at the front of the carb, with rubber passing by moving linkages... If you raced NASCAR, you could get extra Winston Cup points for the lap the fuel line does in the engine compartment...

I would recommend bending some steel tubing and routing the line across the front of the engine, then put some hose (ALONG WITH A FUEL FILTER - I don't see one of those either...) in the line to account for engine vibration. You can't go with all steel tubing from the inner fender to the engine because of engine vibrates and the inner fender doesn't, you need some rubber in there to absorb the vibration...

Lastly, why does it have exhaust manifolds with all of the high rpm parts on the engine. It has a nice single plane intake, msd ignition, and a mallory or msd distributor, demon carb, trunk mounted fuel cell, electric fuel pump....

It needs a good set of headers. Those exhaust manifolds are choking it down on the top end...

im guessing its a 318 but it looks more like a 360 tho. Dude give us the casting numbers. then only will you get a straight answer.

Its RED. Theres a lot of red parts
Its not Orange . Or turquoise. Or black.
Red is a 340 color. early 340
or very early273.
All the evidence is 340, and none contradictory.
Color, exhaust manifolds, single plain, big carb, race flavor.
Who paints their teener to impersonate a 340. If anything we paint our 360s turquoise.
Ima guessing 340.

$_1.JPG

http://www.autobia.com/car-detail/duster/Plymouth-Duster-340-1974-plymouth-duster-340-motor_121597855078.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-Plymouth-Duster-340-Motor-/121597855078?rmvSB=true&nma=true&si=3IRDNSyG35FDq5QVlO9Ru2ffSrQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

here it says it´s a 340 if you don´t believe them you can just check the side of the block

I see a few things that don't sit right with me...

First is the fuel line. It has a fuel cell in the trunk, probably an electric fuel pump, a fuel regulator mounted on the front of the pass inner fender with a RUBBER HOSE RUBBING ON THE ELECTRICAL WIRES going to the voltage regulator that someone put on the inner fender.

Then they route the rubber hose all the way around the world, behind the back of the carb, around the driver's side, and then up to the fuel inlet at the front of the carb, with rubber passing by moving linkages... If you raced NASCAR, you could get extra Winston Cup points for the lap the fuel line does in the engine compartment...

who was the nascar driver that was famous for bending the rules?
the book would state how big the fuelcell could be and then he would loop fuel lines up and down to chassis to get those extra few laps

Its RED. Theres a lot of red parts
Its not Orange . Or turquoise. Or black.
Red is a 340 color. early 340
or very early273.
All the evidence is 340, and none contradictory.
Color, exhaust manifolds, single plain, big carb, race flavor.
Who paints their teener to impersonate a 340. If anything we paint our 360s turquoise.
Ima guessing 340.

WE paint our 360s turquoise
WE also paint our engine bays bodycolor

I think the paint argument goes out the window with that chevy engine bay

-
Back