What engine should I use?

-

King

Reaction score
After a while trying to find a A-Body with no luck I decided to buy a old car to build. I'm building a street rod and I'm not sure witch way to go with the motor. I want this to be a weekend driver. My options are:

1955 331 HEMI 20,000 miles on it (Needs Rebuilt-It's been sitting for years before I got it)!
1974 318 w/340 J heads with around 4000 miles on it!
1972 340 w/340 J heads (Needs 40 over pistons to finish)
(I have 2x4 and a 3x2 intake for the small block).

I want to run the hemi but I don't know a hole lot about them. The small block motors I have a bunch of parts for them. I'm not worried about gas mileage. I want something a little different under the hood. One thing I do know it will be Mopar powered! I'll be using a 727 trans, a 8 3/4 rear with some 21.5" Mickey's.

What do you think would be the best way to go.

Thanks Brian

IMO since you have that 354 hemi I wouldnt even consider anything else. I guarantee you that theres more than 1 person here on FABO that would sell their left nut to have that block sitting in their garage.

Before deciding on the Hemi, find out what parts are available like pistons, bearings, cams and the like. It may influence your decision.

Terry

The only parts I need for the hemi are: Trans adaptor, balancer, adjustable rocker arms, bigger cam and a better intake. It came with a 2 barrel. The crank and rod bearings look brand new. The pistons I think I can save. The cylinders just need a good honing (I hope).
Few pics:
2008_10080018.jpg

2008_10080021.jpg

Thanks Brian

looks like it will need more than a good honing. i would still go with the Hemi.you wanted something different that would be a way to go.for the most power use a Blower.

From The Picture It Looks Like A Industrial Hemi. They Were Used For All Kinds Of Jobs,like Running Orchard Sprayers,generaters,etc.before You Do Anything Make Sure Your Engines Crankshaft Has A Raised Area For The Damper.if It Does Not Have This Raised Area You Won't Be Able To Use That Crankshaft. Alsosomething To Think About Is Exhaust System,will You Have The Clearance To Use The Hemis Exhaust Manifolds? Custom Headers Don't Come Cheap.hot Heads Is A Great Place To Get Rebuild Parts,and Custom Pieces And Bob Walker Is A Hell Of A Nice Guy, But Set Down With A Pen And Paper And Make A List Of What You Want And Need And Check Prices At Hot Heads Site.good Luck With Your Project.take A Look At My 1928 Dodge On The Side Of This Post. 354hemi

Can you say Hemi? Here's photos of a early Hemi in a Early Valliant . I think the owner is one of us. toolmanmike

Thanks everybody!

The engine is out of a fire truck.

Thanks Brian

Here are the numbers:
Block #1551629-1 F85
Heads #1488833-1
Thanks Brian

Man, that looks archaic even compared to an old LA or B engine! Aren't they heavy as hell too? I'd think that LA 340 would be way more efficient, but of course nowhere near as cool.

Hemi's get respect from any motor head----even non Mopar guys. toolman

I'd get that Hemi block cleaned and checked for cracks. Then have the shop see what it would take to clean up the bores. After that price it out and decide.

(i'd put a slant 6 in it :snakeman:)

but that is because I can't afford a Hemi!

Toolman, thanks for that pic.. I have never seen a car like that (powered that way) and to the dude that did it... Wicked cool.... nice job...

If it's a street rod, you have to run that early hemi. It would be a shame not to.

I vote for the Hemi, too. That is, if it will fit. Performance Auto Warehouse has an early Hemi catalog. This link ought to get you there.

http://www.pawinc.com

You should have no trouble selling the 340 and the LA manifolds.

let me tell you unless money is no object,,HEMI= BIG BUCKS,,,
lots of parts for a chrysler hemi vs a dodge or desoto hemi,,hot heads,paw warhouse trwaters, etc,,

the adapter plate can be bought or you can modify a orignal adapter plate,,

i would price every thing before your decission,,,i have a dodge hemi in my street rod,that has some problems,i am highly considerign swapping in a 318. just because thge cost of parts to repair,,

Thanks everybody!

I plan on keeping the car for a long time. I ended up finding out that the car use to be my wife's great grand fathers car. I'll do alot of research on the Hemi to see how much money where talking. Thanks for all the comments.
Brian

-
Back