What exactly is a "mini starter"

-
Are you installing headers and the instructions say you need a gear reduction starter or are you want to install one from a Dakota just to spin the engine faster?

As far as I understand it. Both. The dakota starters will work with headers (as far as I know) and are junkyard a plenty. It's basically a cheaper option to the summit nice shinny brand new mini starters. As for actual dimensions, of that I am unsure.

Summit does not manufacture anything. I believe there's two or three base manufacturers of these starters, but as small as they all are, they should fit headers.

THE FACT IS that actually a normal "real Chrysler starter" should fit. That is what headers should have been designed to fit

the 'mini' starters on RAM's actually come in 3 sizes, rated in Kw's. The size difference is in the length of the case. But all are better than the OEM 30 lb gear reduction starter.

I have heard that some header manufacturers require certain starters that are clocked at a certain position. I don't know which ones for sure.

On my 68 Cuda tried a MP mini starter and still had clearance issues due to the headers even with the heat shield off, ended up buying a clockable starter and problem was solved.

Clockable

Attachments

• 3005_4x.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 307
Just try the mag starter you have.
On my engine start stand, I used a mag starter with cheap car headers and a 143 tooth truck bell housing, had to slightly ding the header but it fit.
Car bell housing with car headers would clear by a long way.

Most people refer to the mini starters because Chrysler downsized them beginning with the new 94 Ram trucks and Dakotas.

But the important question is, "Do the mini starters have the cool Chrysler starter sound?" Do they wake up the damn neighbors with that Weeee! Weeee! Weeee! Weeee! RUUUUMBLE...?" I want a LOUD american horn. I want that classic Chrysler starter sound. I want a V8, not some anemic little four banger. I want to wake up the neighbors with my starter every monday through friday at 6am! I don't want a "polite" little honda, with a polite little horn, and silent little starter and engine.

P.S.
I'll be goddamned if I'll use one of those thumper cams to "sound" cool though. :stirthepot:

I don't want to hear my starter at all , that's what tuning is for -turn the key vrooom not even a click .Best reason for using a mini starter is heat soak prevention , my 30lb stock starter fit under the tti's but an hour on a 100 degree day and it might not function until it sits with the hood open in the breeze for an hour , mini starter works every time no heat siak issues .

-
Back