What gain will I see in my time slips

-
3500 stall company called freak show converters out of Texas I’m running a 26x10 m/t
How are you leaving (launching) off the line? IMO, assuming that the converter actually flashes to 3500 from launching off idle, it dead hooked, with a 1.65 60' time you're at least in the ball park (a little faster and quicker) in the 330', 660', 1/4 and mph times. So your 60' time should be better by a little just on your other times and speed, but it appears you are likely down on power also for what your combo is. Just a guess but my opinion comes from my experiences and that I use my chosen guide (chart) as a reference (target) that shows what times one should ideally be run with a particular 60' time, 1/8 and 1/4 time and mph. Comparing the numbers will indicate where the shortcomings likely are. This works for me, others have their methods but you have to have targets and reference points to get somewhere. Hard to say what your state of tune is or what stall your seeing or how you're launching off the line but I'd think you should be seeing more mph, quicker et's and better 60' times. Tune some more (I'm slightly obsessive when it comes to that!) if you haven't and then look at converter.

Last edited:
Rough estimation (VERY rough) is two hp per cfm is possible, if everything is right. Therefore, if your porting goes from 240cfm to 270, you can theoretically pick up 60 hp. How much of that potential 60hp shows up on your timeslip is ENTIRELY dependant on how good your car is.
You can go to wallace calculators, and investigate how much power you have now, and get an educated guess as to what it might do with more.
Edit: 60 hp from just porting would be a huge increase, i wouldn't expect to see that on my junk. Still, pocket ported 906 big block heads MIGHT flow 240, edelbrock claims(repeat, claims) 290 from their big block rpms.

Back in the day I was running a stock 440-6 motor with an 850DP, removed the stock 906 heads (220cfm?) for a pair of 2.14/1.81 ported 906's (250>260cfm tops?), no other changes, car went from a best of 11.2@119 to 10.7@124+ but I did run a .650" [email protected] sft cam.

How are you leaving (launching) off the line? IMO, assuming that the converter actually flashes to 3500 from launching off idle, it dead hooked, with a 1.65 60' time you're at least in the ball park (a little faster and quicker) in the 330', 660', 1/4 and mph times. So your 60' time should be better by a little just on your other times and speed, but it appears you are likely down on power also for what your combo is. Just a guess but my opinion comes from my experiences and that I use my chosen guide (chart) as a reference (target) that shows what times one should ideally be run with a particular 60' time, 1/8 and 1/4 time and mph. Comparing the numbers will indicate where the shortcomings likely are. This works for me, others have their methods but you have to have targets and reference points to get somewhere. Hard to say what your state of tune is or what stall your seeing or how you're launching off the line but I'd think you should be seeing more mph, quicker et's and better 60' times. Tune some more (I'm slightly obsessive when it comes to that!) if you haven't and then look at converter.
yes sir that was my plan was to try and get it in to the 11s before I left the track that day but now I’m in search of a third member do you think a taller tire and taller gear will help I’m running a 391 gear and 26in tire oh and I’m leaving just a little over idle

Convertor is definately contributing to the numbers being what they are. Good 8 inch would really improve the numbers a bunch, for starters.
I’ll call freak show and see if that can’t do something with the convert they Built it for me only about a year ago , whats your thoughts it might need to be tighter ?

yes sir that was my plan was to try and get it in to the 11s before I left the track that day but now I’m in search of a third member do you think a taller tire and taller gear will help I’m running a 391 gear and 26in tire oh and I’m leaving just a little over idle
You definitely need to do calculations to see what a taller tire and a higher numerical gear comes out to. Then you have to factor in shift points and trap RPMs etc. right? I’m one who defaults to working with what you have to optimize things and then make changes afterwords if needed.

You definitely need to do calculations to see what a taller tire and a higher numerical gear comes out to. Then you have to factor in shift points and trap RPMs etc. right? I’m one who defaults to working with what you have to optimize things and then make changes afterwords if needed.
Gotcha I appreciate the help

The brotherhood of timeslip chasers... gotta love it!
Just curious.... 904? ...or 727?
Do you have the mph from your old previous best?
Still a “street” car I’m assuming. No greater fight than that of “street” and “fast” :).

I’ll call freak show and see if that can’t do something with the convert they Built it for me only about a year ago , whats your thoughts it might need to be tighter ?

is it an 8 inch or 10 inch?
Smallblock Mopars like lots of convertor. Never seen one that doesnt. Based on that 557 cam, your heads, etc, i would suspect an 8 inch convertor closer to 5k flash would be a very good start. I have had strokers in the past( my first one i had a Coan 10 inch 3500 flash behind it, not knowing better at the time) that convertor being right really will wake it up.
You should be minimally 10 more mph in the 1/4, and a tenth, tenth and a half in the 60 foot
Maybe list the whole combination again….car, weight, etc, etc
So we can help you

The brotherhood of timeslip chasers... gotta love it!
Just curious.... 904? ...or 727?
Do you have the mph from your old previous best?
Still a “street” car I’m assuming. No greater fight than that of “street” and “fast” :).
727 my mph has pretty much been 103/107 even with the old converter ,yes it a street car but I’ve pulled some weight out of it

is it an 8 inch or 10 inch?
Smallblock Mopars like lots of convertor. Never seen one that doesnt. Based on that 557 cam, your heads, etc, i would suspect an 8 inch convertor closer to 5k flash would be a very good start. I have had strokers in the past( my first one i had a Coan 10 inch 3500 flash behind it, not knowing better at the time) that convertor being right really will wake it up.
You should be minimally 10 more mph in the 1/4, and a tenth, tenth and a half in the 60 foot
Maybe list the whole combination again….car, weight, etc, etc
So we can help you
Not sure on the weight I haven’t ever weighed it yet , how would a 5k stall work on the street this car is almost a daily driver in the summer lol

Not sure on the weight I haven’t ever weighed it yet , how would a 5k stall work on the street this car is almost a daily driver in the summer lol
Modern converters are really good. The old days where you can here the engine rev half way to the moon before they roll are gone. Just tell the converter company what you’d looking to do.

Modern converters are really good. The old days where you can here the engine rev half way to the moon before they roll are gone. Just tell the converter company what you’d looking to do.
Thanks for the help , yeah I talk to the convertor for a while I had a 10in off the shelf in it before I brought the new one and to tell the trust I seen no difference between the two time slip wise

Thanks for the help , yeah I talk to the convertor for a while I had a 10in off the shelf in it before I brought the new one and to tell the trust I seen no difference between the two time slip wise
Do you know what the current flashed to off the line??

And can you recall the rpm though the traps?? We are talking only one run correct?
Yes it was brought to my attention that the drivers wheel was not spinning during the burn out as for the trap rpm 62/6400

I don’t see a converter swap making a big difference in the mph.

The mph is so low, it’s almost like you’re letting off before the finish line.
Well, let me clarify that.......
The speed is way low for the “sum of the parts”.
Stroker, ported Ede heads, solid cam, a body...... should go 115+ easy.

However, on the Moroso chart...... you’re speed and ET are very well aligned. 107 shows 12.20.

I look at that and it just confirms my thoughts about the speed....... it’s too low.

I won’t even mention what it shows for the required power to go 107mph @ like 3500lbs.

Last edited:
I don’t see a converter swap making a big difference in the mph.

The mph is so low, it’s almost like you’re letting off before the finish line.

its only doing 87 in the 1/8… so obviously the issue isn't just in the back half.

408 stoker from blue print
Just for for comparisons sake:, may be, may not be a usable comparison?: I don't have the same vehicle as you, I have a shorter wheelbase, bad areo, and about 3250 lbs w/driver, but I do have a 408 (410) stroker and had a smaller spec'd hydraulic cam (smaller than what you're running) and a 10" Turbo Action that flashed to 3500 consistently, running 4.10's w/27 drag radials that always dead hooked after much test and tunes. My average 60' times were 1.60 (1.58 best) 1/8 mile averages were 7.44/91+mph (7.38 best) and 1/4 average 11.80@112 (11.75 best) Depending on your suspension, grip etc and with what you have you should easily be able to run what I've run, and better no doubts. Mind you, this is after a couple of years of t&t's fine tuning and making some suspension changes to whittle all my times down from the beginning runs of 8.00@86mph (1/8) and 12.19@108mph and lousy 60' times down to the above bests. Good times (no pun intended) are in your combo as is IMO

its only doing 87 in the 1/8… so obviously the issue isn't just in the back half.

The 7.71 1/8 converts to a 12.10 quarter.
That says the front 1/2 is at least as good as the back 1/2.

It’s either missing.......or wasting.......80hp.
Or he’s letting off too soon.

It’s not a dedicated drag car, so it’s likely going to require a few “extra” mph to be a solid 11-sec package.
11.95 shows 109.5mph.......... so add in a couple extra for the less than fully optimized combo...... shoot for 112mph(min).
The difference between 107 and 112 at 3500lbs is about 50hp.

Figure out where the missing 50hp is/went....... it should run 11’s.

Last edited:
The 7.71 1/8 converts to a 12.10 quarter.
That says the front 1/2 is at least as good as the back 1/2.

It’s either missing.......or wasting.......80hp.
Or he’s letting off too soon.

my 6.78 front converts to 10.61,only been 10.77 thus far, and i am not lifting anywhere.
His front is actually closer, he went low 12.20 in 1/4
I am looking more at the mph. 87/107 is very low for a stroker motor with decent heads.
I still suspect a good 5k ish flash vert would pick it up everywhere.
Be curious what his trap rpm is. If its 6400 or so, with a 26 tire and 3.91’s its loose..at 107 mph….

my little brother has a stock 340 shortblock in a 71 unlightened Dart
Been 12.70’s with 2.02 J heads, mid 240’s generic Comp flat tappet cam and typical bolt ons. 10 inch soggy 3200 flash vert. 4.10 gear, short tire.
He just swapped on Eddies, same cam as i have, and is getting an 8 inch vert i specced for his combo built for it as we speak.
I told him to expect at least a whole second gain. We will soon find out.

Last edited:
my 6.78 front converts to 10.61,only been 10.77

The formula I use shows 6.78 > 10.64.
Close enough.
Your actual 10.77 shows the second half isn’t as strong as the first........ which is exactly what I’d expect to see with your combo.

My comment about him letting off is directed solely at the rather sub-par 107 speed.

Go to your favorite ET/mph/hp calculator...... plug in his numbers....... see if that result makes any sense to you.

The formula I use shows 6.78 > 10.64.
Close enough.
Your actual 10.77 shows the second half isn’t as strong as the first........ which is exactly what I’d expect to see with your combo.

My comment about him letting off is directed solely at the rather sub-par 107 speed.

Go to your favorite ET/mph/hp calculator...... plug in his numbers....... see if that result makes any sense to you.

i agree with ya. My point is its going to have to run WAY more MPH even in the 1/8 to make it ET decently
Its off everywhere at all the incrementals.
When i got my current car, the 360 that was in it ran only 109 in the 1/4 at 12.23. Not that different from the OP…That is where i started chipping away from.
It just isn't making any power, frankly, anywhere.
Assuming the machine work is all good, a mushy 10 inch convertor( imo) would be an obvious place to start looking.
He seemingly has enough motor to run mid 11’s easily. If not faster.
Getting his complete combo would certainly help pin it down better

-
Back