What happened to beehive springs?

-
Ignorance is bliss, eh Rusty :D

"Beehive sprAngs won't do anything a good properly chosen conventional sprang won't do. It's still a valve sprAng."

You're partially correct - they do what a conventional spring does - in reality they do what a couple different conventional ones would do if you could install them on one valve - with the side affect of a lot of weight cut from the mass the spring has to control.
Had the spring materials and testing (Spintron) technology existed back then you can bet your *** they'd use them.

You hush dave. did you see where I said I was messin around? go play with you beehive sprAngs. LOL

The whole beehive thing sounds so stupid. How conical? Much more professional.

I personally believe that beehive/conical springs have potential to be superior to regular coils in virtue of their light weight.

I also believe that said potential probably isn't likely to be realized unless pushing an engine past the limits of a conventional spring via high RPM.

I'm almost certain I've seen conical valve springs on vintage speedway motorcycles though.

Motorcycle engine were using beehive/conical springs way before they hit the automotive scene. How do you think the Japanese motorcycle engines can rev so high without having valve float?

Another nice deal with them is no rocker arm interference like lots of std sized springs. No grinding rockers to gain clearance.

Motorcycle engine were using beehive/conical springs way before they hit the automotive scene. How do you think the Japanese motorcycle engines can rev so high without having valve float?
I think they call them two strokes they can rev higher grasshopper:cheers:and give you that ping ping ding ding sound :violent1::violent1::cheers::cheers: you know kind of like a small block on steroids at 10,000 OOOOOboy............lol.Artie

I think they call them two strokes they can rev higher grasshopper:cheers:and give you that ping ping ding ding sound :violent1::violent1::cheers::cheers: you know kind of like a small block on steroids at 10,000 OOOOOboy............lol.Artie

My name is not grasshopper, grandpa!

There was/is plenty of 4 stroke japanese motorcycles that could rev past 8000 RPM without breaking a sweat!

chevy just came out with a kit for there sealed racing crate motors gonna save lotta circle track races a bunch,..kits had springs an locks an retainers for like 150 bucks,..but spect bee hives for a mopar gonna cost lot more!!
these springs are better matched an better quality for budget race motors turning 6800 rpm for extended time...

Quote:

Originally Posted by crackedback View Post

Another nice deal with them is no rocker arm interference like lots of std sized springs. No grinding rockers to gain clearance.

:thumrigh:

:thumrigh: X2

I've had them on my 360's for a few years now.

Actually 4 stroke bikes rev higher than 2Ts....

Regular springs (linear springs) have a near constant rate of compression. Conical springs are a variable rate design that have a higher spring rate the more it is compressed. One of the reasons they are more stable at higher rpm's.

Ummm....for what it's worth, I've done about a million valve lash adjustments on all manner of Jap bike, and I can't recall any that use a conical spring. Could you name some?

Hd and Buell on the other hand....

And the nice thing about conical springs beyond unsprung weight is that they eliminate a lot of harmonics.

Exactly. I swapped cam this summer and went from hydralic to solid. I did not remove the heads and my new cam had a lot more lift. So with Beehive springs I was able to do the swap without having to grind the valve guides and had no problem clearing the rockers. The 273 now revs beyond 7000 rpm :) They are pricey and you cant use your old retainers or lockers. But I'm very happy with them.

Exactly. I swapped cam this summer and went from hydralic to solid. I did not remove the heads and my new cam had a lot more lift. So with Beehive springs I was able to do the swap without having to grind the valve guides and had no problem clearing the rockers. The 273 now revs beyond 7000 rpm :) They are pricey and you cant use your old retainers or lockers. But I'm very happy with them.
Which ones did you use? Retainers and keepers? tmm

Ummm....for what it's worth, I've done about a million valve lash adjustments on all manner of Jap bike, and I can't recall any that use a conical spring. Could you name some?

Hd and Buell on the other hand....

And the nice thing about conical springs beyond unsprung weight is that they eliminate a lot of harmonics.

I'm no motorcycle expert by any means but a friend of when we were in high school was given a 60's/70's Honda motorcycle (if I remember correctly) that we needed to free up the motor. I remember tearing into it and seeing valve springs that looked like they were, I guess, more tapered than beehive shaped. But they would still be variable rate springs I would take it.

Which ones did you use? Retainers and keepers? tmm

I dont have the parts number in my head. But I got a complete kit with springs, lockers and retainers from Comp Cams of Ebay.

R

If your running the same ones I bought for when I cleanup my "X" heads then the part #'s are: 26995 beehive springs, 795 retainers, and 626 locks.

Watch this! It gets good around 20 seconds into it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NskusJdk5Qs"]Beehive™ Springs vs. Standard Springs Video - YouTube[/ame]

If your running the same ones I bought for when I cleanup my "X" heads then the part #'s are: 26995 beehive springs, 795 retainers, and 626 locks.

Those are the one's, but I have different lockers with 4 & 2 groves for my valves.

explain. Are you running 2 groove on some valves and 4 on the others?

There's a two groove lock and a four groove lock because the intake and exhaust valves have different grooves on them on a 273. If they are stock thats is.

There's a two groove lock and a four groove lock because the intake and exhaust valves have different grooves on them on a 273. If they are stock thats is.

I didn't know that. I wonder why Chrysler felt they had to use two and four groove instead of just being a single style?

-
Back