What have I got?

-

DartOS

Reaction score
How do you find the VIN on a car that is missing the VIN plate? I believe what I have is 1967 Cuda FB because it has the two back-up lights on the lower valance, no clearance light holes on the rear quarters and no provisions for the snap on windshield/rear window chrome trim. I'm thinking someone has changed the front clip, deck lid, tail lights and dash to a 68'. I believe the VIN plates were on the drivers side front door hinge post on 67's. But nothing is there. Is there another place on the car that I can find the VIN?

Just out of curiosity, you mentioned that the dash was most likely now a '68 dash- So, does the dash still have the vin plate on the top of the 68-69 style dash frame? Do you have a title to match that? Is it possible you have a very early 68? I know my '68 has a number under the trunk seal on the back edge. I don't remember if '67s are the same or not.

Found on another discussion: The body has the last six digits (of the vin) displayed in several spots. Inner fenders, top of radiator support, and rear trunk deck support. *EDIT: looks like this may be for 1969 and newer** See next post.

Ok, found another discussion: Without the fender tag, broadcast/build, sheet or some other factory documentation there is no way to tie the vin# to the so#. The body is not stamped with the vin# it's stamped with a sales order number. So even if you find a correct vin#, you can not prove it belongs on this body without supporting documentation as noted above. So at this point is the car authentic or a repair? It's impossible to know for sure after 45 years with incomplete documentation.

And looks on the Radiator core support, under the package tray.

No I don't have a title. That's the problem. The VIN is on the 68' dash but it comes back as "Salvaged". To get a title in Texas is like pulling hens teeth. Next to impossible. The numbers on the core support and the deck rails don't match.

No I don't have a title. That's the problem. The VIN is on the 68' dash but it comes back as "Salvaged". To get a title in Texas is like pulling hens teeth. Next to impossible. The numbers on the core support and the deck rails don't match.

Then you have a salvaged car. Most likely wrecked really bad and pieced together using a '68 car as a donor.

I think what you have is a parts car. I would look for another car to build. Good luck with it. Bill

I believe whoever had this car, and for whatever reason went to the salvage yard and bought a couple front fenders, grill and the dash and installed them on the 67'. What I was looking for is the VIN for the 67'. Is there any other location on the 67' that would have the VIN stamped so I can get the right title for the car?

If you can take off the trim around the trunk hinges on the inside of the car there is a date stamped on the metal support underneath.

Did you get a bill of sale? Alabama only requires a BOS to register a car before 1971.

The car is super straight with no signs of any damage. There was a dash that came with the car(in the trunk) that was cut to pieces and it didn't have a VIN attached, nor was there any holes for the VIN rivets. Wasn't 68' the first year for the VIN to be attached to the dash?

So, with the VIN plate missing, I'm screwed! Either try to get the 68' Salvaged title or find another 67' VIN plate?

Attachments

• P1090239.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 201
  • P1090240.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 208
Maybe you are going about this wrong. Maybe it's a 68. What numbers are on the rad support?

the order number on the trunk lip should match the one on the rad support so u have 2 problems there

67s had round radio knobs and 68s had the thumbwheels. 68s have a longer lower dash pad that makes a great shelf for putting stuff on, 67s don't have much of a lower dash pad. You have to take out the windshield to swap out the dash.

You have a very solid car there and I wouldn't sweat it. For me, I like the 67 tail lights anyways cause they have more surface area for the brake/taillight.

7212602595 on core support and trunk rail. I'm not trying to deceive anybody, but in Texas when a car is salvaged and you try to bring it back to life is a B---h. Their telling me I have to load the car up take it to Ft. Worth and have it inspected $$$, buy a surety bond $$$, get insurance $$$$ (even though it doesn't run) and etc, etc, etc. And what happens when they inspect it and the body and dash VIN's don't match?

probably confiscated....go thru another state...

That might not work, either. Let's say you "go through" another state and manage to get a "clean" title for the 68 numbers, then he tries to transfer into Texas

Surely Texas inspects cars (VIN) before transferring title?

So if you happen to get an inspector that's a little too attentive, he might just look at both the rad support and dash VIN

And if Texas searches, they will probably still show that VIN as a "salvage."

THAT could be a lot of trouble for nothing.

That might not work, either. Let's say you "go through" another state and manage to get a "clean" title for the 68 numbers, then he tries to transfer into Texas

Surely Texas inspects cars (VIN) before transferring title?

So if you happen to get an inspector that's a little too attentive, he might just look at both the rad support and dash VIN

And if Texas searches, they will probably still show that VIN as a "salvage."

THAT could be a lot of trouble for nothing.
I really dont think if another state issues a good title and it's done legally that you will have a problem with that title/car in any state,all these greedy phucks want is the revenue/taxes/etc...they could car less about the car...they usually issue a id tag mounted on the car by hwp of that state that matches the re-issued title,a friend of mine had a 68 RR with a missing vin tag but had the title and the rest of numbers matched,took it over from Mo to Ks to a Kansas HWP he inspected it,ran a stolen car chk,passed it gave my friend some paperwork to give the DMV and they issued a title and a vin tag[in Ks] took it back to HWP he installed the tag..got title in mail in less than 2 wks cost less than 175 bucs,then transferred to Mo a couple months later,no prob,was totally legit...all they care about is the $$$$

I think you're right. Everyone I talked to brought up the money before telling me the process. Greedy bunch of highway robbers. I'd like to register it as a 67' but without a VIN to give them I guess that's out.

-
Back