What have I gotten myself into?

-
Well here is the new heart of the beast. 03 truck 5.7 hemi with 81k on her that someone was going to let go to the scrapper if I hadn't picked it up.
2010-09-25142624.jpg

2010-09-25142637.jpg

this last picture is a heat tab that junkyards put on motors they want to warranty so I know this is the 3rd time this engine will be finding a new home.
2010-09-25142648.jpg

She has a spun rod bearing so I got her real cheap

Well got out of work early and with and block and empty cylinder heads I decided to test fit the old hemi. Bolted to the A-833OD she fits right in.

2010-09-28160742.jpg

the block is missing the center bolt hole for the bellhousing BUT I don't think I have ever seen one in this hole before
2010-09-28160752.jpg

2010-09-28172211.jpg

2010-09-28172226.jpg

I can't believe the room in front of the motor

2010-09-28172249.jpg

good thing I shaved the firewall

2010-09-28172321.jpg

no mounts yet might fab my own.

2010-09-28172354.jpg

2010-09-28172411.jpg

Are you putting in a filler piece of metal or just welding the seam shut once the gutter is shaved away? It looks like you are just shaving a short section at a time to help hold it all together until you can get it at least tacked? L8r

Jim

Your build is sick!!
The stance is bad azz and the late model hemi is the coup de grace. YOu are doing some fine work, keep it up! L8r

Jim

Are you putting in a filler piece of metal or just welding the seam shut once the gutter is shaved away? It looks like you are just shaving a short section at a time to help hold it all together until you can get it at least tacked? L8r

Jim
I did the cut and weld 6 inches at a time to hold it all together so I didn't have to worry about the roof pulling away from the inner structure to badly.

Your build is sick!!
The stance is bad azz and the late model hemi is the coup de grace. YOu are doing some fine work, keep it up! L8r

Jim
The stance is the result of having it at ride height 10 times and me and my buddy going "Nope too high lets try an inch lower" it got to the point that we just laid the Frame on the axle housing and lifted it up 3". Good news for me was the axle hit the frame before the tires hit the wheel well I was thinking that we were going to have to do a full tub job to get the ride height I felt looked the best. Our goal was to have the roof line at my elbow so I could lean on the roof during car shows and such.

Really enjoying this thread, loving everything you have done. Keep up the good work we are watching
Frank

Great build! I'm intrigued by the shaving of the drip rails -- Its been a thought of mine on my Demon, but I am not sold on doing so yet.

Great build! I'm intrigued by the shaving of the drip rails -- Its been a thought of mine on my Demon, but I am not sold on doing so yet.
i'll tell you one thing it was something I didn't feel so crazy about until it was finished now I couldn't imagine the car with drip rails on it.

Sorry there are no updates guys My son's birthday and a serious lack of funds has put this one on hold for a couple weeks so I can save a few bucks up to get my PCM for the Hemi. I want it to breathe life soon so I can get remotivated to finish some of the small stuff that seems to take forever to finish. I also need to get my axle housing ends welded on so I can order axles and get her rolling again.

Ok so I hit the jackpot today my friend brought my new shortblock over with a box of extra parts. Car timing cover and balancer new head gaskets, lifters, head bolts, A 2007 SRT8 pcm, Jeep SRT8 manifolds a new real main seal, 6.1 timing set, exhaust manifold gaskets and a ton of other left over parts from his builds. $200 for everything I am not going to complain and this means next weekend I might have a runner.

Ok quick update no new pictures But I just got an 06 SRT8 Pcm a set of Grand Cherokee Manifolds a 6.1 cam and I finally got my cam and crank sensors so She will be going in this weekend and hopefully getiing fired up. I still need to map out some of my wiring but thats mostly done too.

Very cool build bud !!! Can't wait to see how that 5.7 works for ya. I'm SRT8_in_CT from the other forum and you got my wheels spinning with this build...

Ken

Now that last pic in that group says why I needed to address the paint as you can see it was actually flaking off. I ignored that and since I didn't have the budget for a motor yet I decided to get crazy on the green interior. Black was a much better choice and with some fabric from Joanne's and a couple cans of Vinyl die we got everything Black.

So any step by steps on that interior work? I want to go from golden yellow to black and grey......

So any step by steps on that interior work? I want to go from golden yellow to black and grey......
Well it was a quick job just to get it cleaned up for the short term so I wouldn't recommend doing it unless it's temporary. I had die everywhere and it kept rubbing through in spots.

-
Back