What headers for s.b stroker in Early-A

-

pettybludart

Reaction score
I need some headers for my stroked small block(410)with Eddy RPM heads.I didn,t want to go fenderwell,but the Dougs are to small(1 5/8)for my ported heads.Does Hooker make partial fenderwells?Or are they all full fenderwells?Any help and part #,s will be appreaciated.This is for my 66 Dart all manual with double m.cyl.Thanks

The hooker 5208's are more like partial fenderwells with two tubes going thru but are still 1 5/8. Hedman hustlers have 1 3/4 or 1/7/8 tubes but are full fenderwell(all tubes thru). The double master cylinder will be a prob. with these also. The TTI units might be a good choice for your set up. They step up from 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 with 3 inch collector & are not fenderwell. Here's a link to the TTI's
http://www.ttiexhaust.com/Header-TTI636A/63-66Abodyheaders.htm

Oldschoolcuda

I already have the Dougs Headers,they,re going back.The 1 5/8 primarys are to small.Anybody running 1 3/4?

IMO, OH YES! Even a mild 400+ cube engine can step up.

If the tti's didn't jump up in tube size, they wouldn't be that good. IMO, I think the 1-3/4 would be a min. for that size engine and anyone working up a 400+ CID engine would for surely want a 1-7/8 tube.

Go with TTI.
HKeller

driversideheader.jpg

Header left.jpg

I want bigger headers for any hot performance small block. I have the TTI's and they perform great on my 69 340 4 speed, but the engine is capable of moving more exhaust if it had the room. I spent a lot on them and the coating did not hold up. they were also supposed to be a bolt in and they were supposed to be installed with the engine bolted in.....no.

I had to adjust the crap out of the pushrod at the z bar and i cut my pedal pushrod in half and welded a piece of pipe over it to lengthen it. It was the only way I could use my clutch! I kinda need the clutch so I did the mod but the z bar pushrod is way beyond compfy adjustment...not a good angle. Of course TTI had no clue why this would happen.....
They said they would slide in from below without pulling the engine...so i tried it...I even lifted my whole front end with my engine hoist so i had 4' to play with!!! Nope...not hapnin! LOL After dismantling and reassembling my front end...I lifted the engine and finished my ALL weekend header install....nice!

These are the ones I got...but it was a while back, i got them direct from TTI.
http://www.magnumforce.com/store/de...ndID=20&Category=&SubCategory=&Search=&Page=3

P.S. and I agree with Rumble...any hot smallblock...400+ HP...needs bigger headers to achieve full potential.

Not enough for the ported Eddy RPM,s,to much HP will be lost.
TTI now make a none step 1 3/4" for A-bodies. There not listed on the web site - you need to phone. They may not fit early A-bodies.??
I have the 1 3/4" for W5 heads - they are sweet. TTi has even made a little more room to make removal of the started a breeze.

You'll see 10's with the 1.625"/1.75" TTI step's!...but but I agree,you need bigger headers!
I'm gonna go a dif route to the 10's! Small cam + turbo.

The hooker 5208's are more like partial fenderwells with two tubes going thru but are still 1 5/8. Hedman hustlers have 1 3/4 or 1/7/8 tubes but are full fenderwell(all tubes thru). The double master cylinder will be a prob. with these also. The TTI units might be a good choice for your set up. They step up from 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 with 3 inch collector & are not fenderwell. Here's a link to the TTI's
http://www.ttiexhaust.com/Header-TTI636A/63-66Abodyheaders.htm

Oldschoolcuda

Headmans are 1 7/8"

Has anybody tried these Hooker Super comp headers on their Early-A with a smallblock?

P.S The reason I need bigger primaries(1 3/4 0r 1 7/8)is I want full potential from the .631 lift solid roller cam.I want to see 10,s at the track!=P~

I think the Hookers are all 1 5/8"

I have the Hustlers, they are close but I have no issues with heat. I had them coated by Jet Hot and that made a big difference, you can almost touch them when they are hot and they just feel warm.

I have my engine raised 1/2" so you would have more clearence than mine.

Photo1359.jpg

Yes,the turbo seems to be the way of the future.I,ve seen many twinturbo muscle cars at my local track,but way out of my price range!=P~

June 2007 226.jpg

June 2007 228.jpg

I'm gonna be doing the turbo on a much tighter budget than those two! LOL

And yeah, the Hooker Super Comps I have are 1.625"...The new ones are lower quality and made in Mexico. I bought my set back in 91 and when I tried to replace them a while back i got Mexican crap that didn't fit! LOL At least they gave me my money back....

Headmans are 1 7/8"

I think the Hookers are all 1 5/8"

I have the Hustlers, they are close but I have no issues with heat. I had them coated by Jet Hot and that made a big difference, you can almost touch them when they are hot and they just feel warm.

I have my engine raised 1/2" so you would have more clearence than mine.

Photo1359.jpg
Do you have a part# for the Hustlers?Thanks

Do you have a part# for the Hustlers?Thanks

If memory serves me correctly, I believe it is 75110

They are race headers so you will need to weld on collectors if you want to run exhaust. I used a pair of Flow Master ball flange collectors and they seal great.

Also if you get them, they are two piece, the lower part slips on where the four tubes meet and you will want to relocate the tabs that hold them together so they don't rub the tire during a turn.

Summit had them a while back, not sure if they still do though. Mine were $550+ when I got mine 6-7 years ago, not sure what they are now.

Thanks Mopar340Dave and BlownFish,those look like the ones I,ll be getting for $609.I guess I,ll get money back when I exchange the Dougs.Any other mods I should know about before installing these?

Ya might wanna give Hedman a call and see if they have any comments on em'...

ADDRESS
Hedman / Trans-Dapt Performance
12438 Putnam Street
Whittier, CA 90602 TEL: (562) 921-0404
FAX: (562) 921-7515
7:30am - 5:00pm
Pacific Time

mailto:[email protected]

I hate to say it but if you want large tube headers for an early A, fenderwell or big dollar custems are your only choose. There are some advantages to fenderwells, nothing in the way when changing the trans, and reel easy to get in and out after the holes are cut.

GREGG`PICTURES 074.jpg

1017091242.jpg

Very nice setup you have there!Now I know what my car will look like with fresh chrome!LOL

P.S I love your hoodscoop and air breather work!

car pics 66 Dart 001.jpg

I dimpled a tube down by the lower control arm bolts to give room for a wrench during front end alignment, I also had to heat and dent the shock mount brackets to give room for one of the header tubes on each side. Otherwise everything fit just fine.

-
Back