what heads to use?

-

jakemary

Reaction score
I have a 72 340 and the head that are on it have casting numbers of 1349 4027593 and I looked up the numbers and it came up with 318 heads?someone must have swaped out the origanl heads why??
and I have a 1973 360 with j heads on them.
the car im putting the 340 in is a 1970 duster that is a 340 car.

Depends on a lot of things. What cam, intake, rear gear, plans for the car.....we need more info.

I have a offenhouser intake plan on using headers 3speed manaul dont know the rearend gears.
my plan is to down the 1/4 mile a few times and drive it on the street I like to make 400hp

pretty simple ....use the J heads

why would you want to use the smaller port smaller valve 318 heads on a 340or 360....

I,d toss the 318 heads off the 340 and put the J heads on.If it wasn,t a 340 car,I would just put the complete 360 with the J heads in.It all depends on your funds situation and if your shooting for close to #,s matching the car?Good Luck!

yes I know the casting #on the side say 340
someone went thru the motor before why they changed heads is beyond me. I had the 73 360 on craigslist and a guy called on it. and head asked about the j heads i didnt know about that till then. so I lookd and compared it to my 340 and saw the casting numbers I guess im not letting the 73 360 for $150.00 uh
so I'll check out both set of heads this weekend for cracks and valve size. if the j heads are good and there not the 202 valve they can be machined to be a 202 right ?that is got to be cheaper the aluminum heads

Ditto, what half a hemi said.

To do a 2.02 into the J heads and even up grade to the valves with Ferra racing valves with a bowl porting is cheaper than aluminum heads with the possiblity of more flow as well.

Being iron, the head will be more durable as well.

-
Back