what HP to expect? BB.

-

danmc77

Reaction score
I'm slightly changing the engine build in my 68 Charger. What kinda power should I expect from the following build?

440 .060 over
TRW hyperu. pistons - zero deck.
10.5:1 comp ratio
The bottom end is stock but balanced and line bored. etc.
OOTB Eddy RPM heads
Roller rockers
Hughes cam - Lift= int .548 ext .555/ dur @ .050 = 237 int 242 exh.
Headers and 3" out the back
windage tray
Performer RPM intake
750 Speed Demon carb
all the other stuf - hiflow oil, double roller chain.
also going w/ electric fan, so no fan on engine.

What do you think a 3800# Charger w/ 3.55 could do on street tires? It's a 4 speed, but lets pretend that I am an expert shifter:-D

Wow - I would be happy w/ that.

Do you think I'd be in the 500hp range? What are your thoughts on what HP this thing might put out?

With that combo you'd be looking at 500-525HP and mid 12's with those gears but only if those street tires hook which I doubt I'm sorry to say. Also with that combo I'd go to an 850 Demon, she'll love ya for it.

Terry

In a typical joe shmo at the track with radials=12.70 if you react well.
HP like dare devil said 480+ if the heads flow for it.
The torque is gonna really shine with that cam duration and compression.

500-525, high 12s with you driving it and having it stick (I am not real good with sticks anymore...lol). I would expect at least 12.0s with a car w/an auto an good tires.

Thanks guys! We'll see - either way, sounds like it'll be fun on the street.

I'm looking at a set of used RPM heads that are ported w/ bigger valves - I still have to find out all the details from the guy, but they were professionally done.

Question - how do you think this build would respond to a set of ported Eddys? This is a street car.

I think you should have more gear and more carb if you want to go with more port volume.

Ok if you think that will make525 horse what will my 10.5-1 indy head 500 cube flattop piston 1250 dominator 585 mech roller rb make?

Ok if you think that will make525 horse what will my 10.5-1 indy head 500 cube flattop piston 1250 dominator 585 mech roller rb make?

Holly crap batman (daredevil), you've built youself a monster haven't ya. I like it and you've probably got the Indy single plane on her eh. I'd be guessing since I've never built anything close to that, but here goes, 750 HP.

Terry

B or RB based? 10.5:1 is a little lower than I would like to see for pump fuel, especially the B wedge wersion, and that cam looks like a mild roller. Which Indy heads? What are the complete specs for the cam? way too many unknowns to guess. How 'bout "lots" :D

Im guessing about 550 to 570. indy ezs with a mild port and gasket match. cam is mild as this is a street build 3500 to 6500 rpm range. running a ptc converter stalls around 3800 with 4.88s in the rear. i,d rather cruise town than the freeway.right now im putting together a s/g with 4.10 in a 489 case to make it a little street friendlier. Can you say here horsey horsey horsey. 5.0 this sucker.lol

I would guess 450 HP.If you go with big tube headers and some head work maybe 500 HP.I would go with more card and gear.850 and 391's or 410's.If you have a high volume oil pump you better get a deep pan.If not you will suck the pan dry and wipe out the bearings.
Jim

480ish.
"normal" street tires.. prolly mid 13's if ur lucky.
Drag Radials... bottom 13's
Slicks... high 12's
this IS assuming ur suspension is up to par.
ur gear isn't doing you any favors.
ported bigger valved heads subract another 10th from this list.
don't be surprised if ur first pass is a high 14.
cheers

480ish.
"normal" street tires.. prolly mid 13's if ur lucky.
Drag Radials... bottom 13's
Slicks... high 12's
this IS assuming ur suspension is up to par.
ur gear isn't doing you any favors.
ported bigger valved heads subract another 10th from this list.
don't be surprised if ur first pass is a high 14.
cheers

What planet are you on ,480 horse in a 3800 lb car doesnt compute to a 14 and lets see some pics of this z28 besides a hot rod magazine pic

Thanks again for all the replies.

So, if everything else remains the same, w/ no head work, do you guys recommend the 850 carb? Keep in mind that it's a weekend street car, and although I'd like to boast good times and maximum performance, it'll probbaly only make it to the track a few times in its life. (primary reason for the 3.55s - although I might be convinced to go to a set of 4.10s)

What planet are you on ,480 horse in a 3800 lb car doesnt compute to a 14 and lets see some pics of this z28 besides a hot rod magazine pic
no no my friend "WHAT THE HELL PLANET DO YOU LIVE ON"..
is more accurate. street tires, big ole 440= ZIP traction.. get a grip dude and welcome to the world of drag racing.
NOBODY puts an NEW engine combo together, runs normal street tires, a goes 12's the first time out.
Obviously you did not read my entire post. thats ok tho.. i skip through alot of it too lol.

NO DUH thats the F-BOMB camaro.. any jackass can firgure that out lol. just think it looks cool.
and ultimatly THATS what I want mine to look like. OLD SCHOOL with a hint of modern TECHNOLOGY.
mines a 80 Camaro, BLUE, with a 73 SS nose on it (from www.UP22.com). hence "mix n match" camaro.
just waiting on their race weight pin on glasshood, which a DEMON dual snorkel scoop WILL be mounted to.
Its also got T-Tops, 2005 Leather Chev Colbalt Buckets, 73 SS Dash (Gonna put AutoMeter white face gauges),
Hurst QuarterStick, 904 trans (seriously considering a T5 w/ UltraBell conversion kit),B-Body 8.75 Diff.
the engine sits 2" back from where the STOCK 350 was, and an 1 1/2" lower the stock. weight transfer is.. interesting lol.
engines mounts are from a spool type BigBlock, slightly modded (but has the offset i needed).
Trans crossmember was a piece-o-cake, flipped it front to back and drilled new holes in the subframe.
the 360 does high 10's on a good day, mid 10s on a REALLY good day. Been through 3 different vehicles,
been getting faster AND the 904 has been flawless. The car as it sits right now is 3000lbs without my fatass in it.
Don't HATE becouse I drive a CHEVROLET.. HATE becouse I'm faster then you LOL! well I should be anyways lol.
Nobody Wants to see MY Junk, but IF you are that curious, get back to poor bastards racing website.
i'm hear to help people, cause I love SmallBlock MoPars.. NOT to accomadate(sp?) peoples curiosity.
cheers.

aint hatin and faster than me remains to be seen.Just thinking youre not gonna make many friends with slams like that, mid 13s if youre lucky is not a very supportive way to put things. Youre not the only one here with money stickers on your ride either. Im not looking for a pissing match though,I can find that at moparts.

aint hatin and faster than me remains to be seen.Just thinking youre not gonna make many friends with slams like that, mid 13s if youre lucky is not a very supportive way to put things. Youre not the only one here with money stickers on your ride either. Im not looking for a pissing match though,I can find that at moparts.
ah yes.. moparts.. where the free minded are punished by god-like wanna be mods. WHERES EDDIE?!?! LOL!
i'm not lookin to start anything either, but i do stand by what i said. in my day i've seen many 3500lb~500+hp cars
that couldn't break outta the 12's. NOT becouse of the engines, but for various other reasons. But I would guess
you allready knew that. anyways, I don't hate either.. and the $$$ stickers on my car comes from real racing...
arm drop no ET drags... gotta luv the street,
cheers!

-
Back