What I learned about drilling concrete

-
I bought one of those el cheapo Chinese SDS hammer drills about 20 years ago. After hundreds of holes ranging from 1/4" to 7/8" it's still hammering away. Which I think is surprising. I was on a power plant erection that used only Hilti, the TE-15 and TE-60 models, and those were always breaking down.

Before that manual hand drill all we had was a roofing nail and a rock to hit it with. Luckily my job was to hit the nail with the rock while my little sister would hold the nail.

We have a 2 post, we cut and put caissons in

When I was in the 3rd Cav at Ft Bliss Tx we rebuilt a Japanese mountain howitzer and a limber for pulling it. This was for the horse platoon. We always wanted a cassion to pull it but never found one. An there you have some.

I was a Union Ironworker in NJ for 16 years. Hilti was my hammer drill of choice, and nothing beat concrete anchor bolts. we would drill and hammer in a 3/4" anchor bolt to mount an I-Beam that held up a building. Hammer them solid, then tighten with an impact.

4282228_2000x2000.jpg

Forty years ago (hard to believe that) when I was studying to be a mining engineer I was on the mine competition team which consisted of jack-leg drilling, hand mucking, track laying and and hand steeling which was using a "single-jack" hammer (2 to 4 lbs) and a chisel tool to drill holes in rock. You were timed and then they would measure the depth of the hole. Hit, turn chisel tool and repeat. After doing that for a couple of minutes as fast and hard as you can that hammer felt like it weighed 100 lbs.

I was a Union Ironworker in NJ for 16 years. Hilti was my hammer drill of choice, and nothing beat concrete anchor bolts. we would drill and hammer in a 3/4" anchor bolt to mount an I-Beam that held up a building. Hammer them solid, then tighten with an impact.

View attachment 1715659696
Hilti is the way to go! My TS-22 is 30 years old and still works like new.

-
Back