What intake to use please

-

rscottick

70 duster
Reaction score
40F47B3D-9789-4405-B35A-E8C5DF974640.jpeg
It’s a 408 stroker near .565 lift cam X heads and a 4:10 rear gear with a 727 reverse manual valve body and a 3800 stall converter.

should I use a victor intake or an rpm air gap?

View attachment 1715501317 It’s a 408 stroker near .565 lift cam X heads and a 4:10 rear gear with a 727 reverse manual valve body and a 3800 stall converter.

should I use a victor intake or an rpm air gap?
I feel the need to state the obvious that two more of those Bud Lights and you could have a Six Pack.
;)

Last edited:
In my opinion any good high-rise will work, I like a single plane for throttle response. I think you got the torque covered and can't really see any real advantage with a dual plane design that being said there are some very good dual-plane manifold that would work.

I think that combo would suck a Victor right on down. That's what I'd run. 3800 converter and 4.10 gear. Victor.

Best all around intake street/strip Air-Gap hands down.
Will be neck & neck with the best single plain intake on everything but the very top end. How often are you at the very top end on the street ? Plus much better all around street manners. My .02

Will be neck & neck with the best single plain intake on everything but the very top end. How often are you at the very top end on the street ? Plus much better all around street manners. My .02

Lol. street manners. That’s like dating a girl with a good looking sister.

I’d pick a Strip Dominator as my first choice. The Victor second.

Either way, with that displacement you need to have the intake fully ported. A stock intake is a power killer.

Any dual plane intake is just silly. You’ll never get the cross section where it needs to be. You can use (and should) a smaller carb with a single plane. That’s why all these stupid dyno tests showing the dual plane making more power down low are deceiving. The single plane always needs a smaller carb to keep the bottom and middle where it should be and it won’t give up any top end power. Too big a carb on a single plane is what kills the bottom and driveability.

For a carb, I would find something with a 1.450ish venturi (ignore the CFM rating just find a carb with a venturi that size or a skosh smaller but I wouldn’t go bigger than 1.480) that does NOT say Holley on it. No choke horn either. And, it needs to have replaceable brass. The Pro Form carbs meet all that for relatively inexpensive dollars. You will need to go into any carb and pin all the holes and see what you have, and start with a known baseline tune up. Then tune from there.

With 4:10 gears and a 3800 convertor , more than u might think , unless he has some tall rear tires.

Victor 340 intake here. I just put one on my street 360. I have 3.91's and a 9.5" FTI 3400-3600 stall converter. I agree throttle response is sweeter with a single plane! My cam is on a 108° lobe separation. Holley strip dominator is another

-
Back