what is a 962-9 transmission

-

DGE7070

Reaction score
I need some help. I have a 1970 Dart 340. I tore the engine and transmission apart. I am trying to find out what the transmission is. It has 962-9 on the transmission. Does anyone have any idea what this transmission is?

I believe that is the bellhousing stamp. Don't think it's much help. There should be numbers stamped in the side of the pan rail on the driver's side of the case. First seven numbers is what you're after. If the pan rail has a bump-out it's a 727. If it's pretty much square with just a corner cut it's a 904.

The first seven numbers are 4295887. It doesn't have a square pan. The pan rail doesn't have a bump out. Does that sound like it is a 904?

......the number you supplied is for a 1983 Mirada/Cordoba and 1984-85 Chrysler 5th Avenue. 904 with 318 engine.

Good news is it has the low gearset. But it does have a lockup converter. You cannot switch to a non-lockup high stall without swapping alot of parts in the front half of the tranny. Depends what you want out of the trans.

I've just started this same project myself. I'm not an expert, just been reading alot about 904's lately

That is an A999 non lockup transmission.

Huh? what year are you coming up with for the tranny id? I looked it up to an '84 & by then they're all lockup, i thought.

If it's not a lock up that's great. A pic of the input shaft would be great.

-
Back