what is a fair price to have an engine rebuild?

-
I'm sorry, I just don't see a quality smallblock stroker build for 4300
The builder would be push'n it to build the shortblock for 4300. IMO

which is one of the reasons I asked, I don't know what this stuff goes for
ive noticed when it comes to dirtbikes a few hundred miles can make a few hundred dollar difference in price for the exact same bike

ill see how Mikes quote comes back and how it compares

(I have had this machine shop do work for me before on a variety of projects and never had a complaint, plus, I like the idea of them being 15 minutes up the road from me, makes warranty issues a whole lot easier to deal with)

I take it the place you're looking into having the work done didn't build your current engine?

nope, the current engine is a craigslist find with only 43000 miles
I took the heads off and had them inspected and rebuild by that shop
I inspected the bores and they looked good (round and within spec) and I popped off one of the main caps in order to replace the rear main seal and the bearing under there looked good so I left the bottom end alone
just replaced the cam, bolted on the heads and went

I did install a new oil pump while I was at it

well, just got off the phone with Mike and he seems pretty reasonably
his quote is about $4675
which includes port work, 2.02 and 1.60 valves, different hardware BUT the same cam I have now
that also includes a distributor recurve (if that's possible on a Skip White unit) which wasn't mentioned in the local quote

well, just got off the phone with Mike and he seems pretty reasonably
his quote is about $4675
which includes port work, 2.02 and 1.60 valves, different hardware BUT the same cam I have now
that also includes a distributor recurve (if that's possible on a Skip White unit) which wasn't mentioned in the local quote
No question which way I'd go , MRL knows tricks with the SBM not many other builders know . His build are always impressive .

My thought is that it pays to shop around. I went to a highly respected local shop to rebuild a slant six. Nothing fancy. They had worked on my 68 Camaro in the past and done a good job. They quoted me $2600. Total sticker shock. I let them finish the head rebuild which was $560 and took the block to a lesser known machine shop and had the work done for $620 (no parts). that was an .080 overbore, decking, rods, crank w/ cam bearings. Have not assembled but I think I saved well over $1000 by shopping around.

No question which way I'd go , MRL knows tricks with the SBM not many other builders know . His build are always impressive .

I'll second that. If Mike's quote involves the new valves and some port work, it'll benefit the build. And unless the skip dizzy is tamper proof, it can be curved...just a matter of using different springs or possibly shaving weights.

360 or stroker, do you have any details on the build.
shortblock, longblock or complete running engine.

360 or stroker, do you have any details on the build.
shortblock, longblock or complete running engine.

SCAT Hyper/cast stroker kit balanced internal

Timing tensioner

Main Studs

New Damper(for internal balance)

Gasket kit

Prime/paint

Bore/hone cylinder w/plate

Deck block

Main hone w/studs

Stage 2 head porting w/HP valve job

Block oiling mods, de-burring, cleaning

Assembly

$3500

Add $525 for dyno with oil, filter fuel

Add $450 Proform 750 carb w/Russell fuel line

Add $50 for dist recurve if needed

Add $160 for 2.02/1.60 HP valves and lock kit

(that's Mikes quote)

So for around 4600 Mike will do that, dyno and all. No breakin for you to worry about.

-
Back