What is an Early A

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
i have been living life for quite awhile now thinking that an early A-body is defined as a pre-67. However there have been many threads on here where ppl are refering to the 67-69 generation as "early" A- bodies.

so what is the correct definition:

is an early A ...pre-67

Or Pre-70 ???

i wouldnt want to think that my 68 dart is in the same catagory as pre-67 cars, but what do you guys think?

1960-1966 is the Early-A group :glasses7:

The 60-62 cars are similar, then the 63-66 are similar, but these are in one group....67-up everything changed.

Early A generally means 63-66, which is mostly a body style difference. 66-72 was the super-square acute angle bodies, 73+ had extended shock-type bumpers and "beak" front (I think). 60-62 was the earliest body and I recall a unique name. As far as desireability, hence value, I think 1968 is tops though some prefer 1967 or 1969.

However, one makes other separations by mechanical design - ~68+ was forged crank with larger pilot hole for torque converter, ~71+ was alum water pump which changed p.s. pump and pulleys, 73+ was significant front end change to disk brakes and BBP wheels.

1960 to 1962, then came 1963 to 1965, Then came one last one 1966 witch is different body, bumpers and belly. 1966 one year only by it's self.
Then 1967 to 1969 then came our 1970 models

1966 was the first and the last from what I have seen and been told.

MeMike,

I think you nailed it,

* 1960 thru 1962
* 1963 thru 1965
* 1967 thru 1969
* 1970 thru 1972
* 1973 and up

But for the general guy, 1960 thru 1966 appears to be the Early A-Body -

1960 to 1962, then came 1963 to 1965, Then came one last one 1966 witch is different body, bumpers and belly. 1966 one year only by it's self.
Then 1967 to 1969 then came our 1970 models

1966 was the first and the last from what I have seen and been told.

that sounds about right to me but in many threads such as the "big block early A role call" thread as well as many other threads like that....someone always sneaks in a 67-69 car.

that sounds about right to me but in many threads such as the "big block early A role call" thread as well as many other threads like that....someone always sneaks in a 67-69 car.
I have seen this also Rani :glasses7: and it confused me as well :happy1:
This great thread you started should clear it up for us :cheers:
Have a great Strongend Rani :rock: good thread :rock:

MeMike,

I think you nailed it,

* 1960 thru 1962
* 1963 thru 1965
* 1967 thru 1969
* 1970 thru 1972
* 1973 and up

But for the general guy, 1960 thru 1966 appears to be the Early A-Body -
yeah it never fails of all the Mopars I happen to like I get a one year only car. "1966 dodge dart convertible" :banghead:

yeah it never fails of all the Mopars I happen to like I get a one year only car. "1966 dodge dart convertible" :banghead:

I feel very lucky to have a 1966 car :D as my wife would say..Mike you are the first and the last of your bread :D

to me it seems 67 was an odd ball year too....it shared same basic shape as 68 and 9 but was loaded with pre-66 interior stuff....older style bucket seats...the 66 style chrome console ...the older glove box hinges (bulky ones) one year only big block air cleaner...unique back window and windsheild gaskets ......many carry over items from its predecessors that was changed for 68+

plus the GTS option in 67 was half -baked ....didnt even include the bulge hood and lacked the image that was started for 68 and 9

Pre 67. The reason you see people replying with 67-69 stuff is because they're unaware.

I feel very lucky to have a 1966 car :D as my wife would say..Mike you are the first and the last of your bread :D

Don't get me wrong I bought the car because I loved the shape even better then the 63-65's. but I've done it a few times by getting 1 year only things, my glassmar cuddy cabin happened to be made only one year with an inboard engine(nice 440). the years before mine (1969) and the years after they went to outboard design. sucked getting parts. another was the quincy screw drive air compressor that I got cheap. 1 year only (didn't know that the other stuff except the screw would interchange) until I moved and didn't take it with me. so I sold it. it's still working though, and for what I bought it for 20 years ago.

The 63-66 A-body front frames are 1 1/2 inches narrower than than the 67 and later versions, but the front upper and lower control arms and spindles will swap over. The size difference is why chassis headers are tough to do in an "early A".

I've always wondered how many new early A owners purchased a late V-8 K frame to do an engine swap...:eek:ops:

Why don't we have a "sticky" at the top of the early-a section explaining what makes an early-a? Also, as I suggested before, a "sticky" that explains the difference between a regular 273 2 barrel and a Commando/Charger 273.

Multiple websites define Mopar A-bodies as:
* Dodge: '61 Lancer, '63-'76 Dart, and '71-'72 Demon
* Plymouth: '60-'76 Valiant, '64-'69 Barracuda, '70-'76 Duster, and '71-'76 Scamp
Pre-'67 are generally considered to be the "Early" A's

The '60-'61 Dart is considered a C-body, and the '62 Dart is considered a B-body.

1960-1966 Valiants, Darts, and Lancers

1960-1962: Valiants were so ugly they were cute. No factory V8 available. Dodge got a version in '61 called the Lancer. Both referred to as "Toads". Heater was firewall mounted.
1963: Body restyled to be less offensive but still used basic under pinnings from previous model. Still used firewall mounted heater and no V8 available. Dart name was moved from the B Body platform.
1964-1965: The usual model year body changes but a 273 V8 became available in '64 and the heater was moved under the dash to make room for it. Barracuda introduced in '64, '65 last year for cable shift Torqueflite and ball and trunnion driveline. Late '65 V8s got the 8 3/4" rear due to warranty claims over grenading 7 1/4"s.
1966: Last model produced before federally mandated safety standards. Last year for A body wagons. Last year for non-synchro first gear on 3 speed manual transmissions. First year for slip yoke driveline and linkage shifted automatics. Unique styling that gets better with age. These were all light, agile, machines.
A body line completely redesigned from the ground up for '67 and the bloat was on....

Actually Grumpus, there was a slip joint tailshaft with the cable operated park in 65 on SB 727's. I had a 64 BB pushbutton tranny in my 64 Belvedere with the B&T tailshaft and found a SB 727 in a 65 Coronet 4 door 273 car that had the slipjoint tailshaft and cable operated park. My tranny guy removed the tailshaft and put it on my BB tranny and voila, bigblock pushbutton shift and park with slipjoint tail!!

In 66 all cable operated transmissions were gone so I know it was a 65!! Geof

Actually Grumpus, there was a slip joint tailshaft with the cable operated park in 65 on SB 727's. I had a 64 BB pushbutton tranny in my 64 Belvedere with the B&T tailshaft and found a SB 727 in a 65 Coronet 4 door 273 car that had the slipjoint tailshaft and cable operated park. My tranny guy removed the tailshaft and put it on my BB tranny and voila, bigblock pushbutton shift and park with slipjoint tail!!

In 66 all cable operated transmissions were gone so I know it was a 65!! Geof

Twarnt talking about B bodies.

to me it seems 67 was an odd ball year too....it shared same basic shape as 68 and 9 but was loaded with pre-66 interior stuff....older style bucket seats...the 66 style chrome console ...the older glove box hinges (bulky ones) one year only big block air cleaner...unique back window and windsheild gaskets ......many carry over items from its predecessors that was changed for 68+

plus the GTS option in 67 was half -baked ....didnt even include the bulge hood and lacked the image that was started for 68 and 9

Fenders, bumpers, doors, hoods all interchange with 67-69 cars. Though side marker lights were none on 67, round on 68 and rectangular on 69. I don't think the back glass was different on a 67 from a 68-69???

Like your new avatar Rani!!

We call them Pre 67's "Narrow A's" too. Put headers in one and you'll understand.

Early A's as described by MeMike are unibodies. For performance modifications and high horse power they require welding in frame connectors otherwise they can break. Ask me how I know...

-
Back