what is best year casted /6?

-

340plot

the bushy bush
Reaction score
i am contiplating putting a stout /6 under the hood of my duster with a small turbo.
i am wondering, in stock form, what year / would work the best?
i am going to get a custom cam, and forges pistons.

what else would help with some more h.p on tap?
'

suggestions?

i am sorry, it was supposed to say /6 rahter than 340.

fixed now

I'd like to know this too as I am contempating the same type of deal. Except mine will be on a much lower budget using stock internals

So which blocks or core engine years would be best for a boosted application?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Everyone on slantsix.org say the BH blocks is the best...Still searching for links.

On slantsix.org they all say to use the 5 freeze plug engine block.
I believe this is the truck block 70's

All the '67-up blocks have five freeze plugs; there are multiple different 5-plug blocks. A "BH" block in good condition is generally considered the stoutest, but most variants of the slant-6 can be successfully hot rodded.

Spend some time over at http://www.slantsix.org/forum searching the engine build threads such as this one.

thanks guys. i want to run a single turbo at 15-20 lbs. of boost on stock internals other than pistons ok?

Wow, that's a lot of boost! You're going to need O-ring sealing of the head to the block, low-compression pistons, and you will want to talk to those who have done serious \6 hot-rodding before you proceed.

340plot ive got a 63 i think 6 and was told by the guy over on slant6 that the 1 i have is a good 1. i have about all the parts here right down the road from you in nc......mike:D

what tranny do i put behind it? stock tran will hold 10 lbs of boost?

In the latest Car Craft I received there was an article about a Duster with a slant six and a turbo on it. I think it is an article that would help you.

With anything over 10lbs of boost your going to want forged pistons, or you will have issues (melting pistons) down the road.

yea, i will be doing forged pistons when i get to building one!

i was tracking /6 builds years back but never did one of my own. one thing i remember reading as the 2.2L dodge turbo pistons and rods fit in the slant.

198 rods are very difficult to find and tend to be very expensive if you do find them (if the owner is aware of this)...Not worth it IMO.

As far as building a strong /6, about any will do. Some even prefer to build the cast crank engines because they are lighter. I like the BH block and it is said to be the strongest (note the previous comments regarding the 5 freeze plug block) and I see it commonly associated with 2806830. Early 70's work for me.

I have a few blocks and I weigh them the see which one is the lightest. I have one particular 198 block that is ten pounds lighter than my 225 block.

In the latest Car Craft I received there was an article about a Duster with a slant six and a turbo on it. I think it is an article that would help you.

Are you referring to the article about Steve Nitti's Duster with the Procharger on page 62 of the January 2012 issue?

And you can't pull it up online yet. :banghead:

I think it's on the newsstand, by now.... I got mine in the mail about last Thursday, I think.

What an impressive job he did... home-brew intake, offset-ground stroker crank, fuel injection, and the car looks great!

The article is easily worth the price of the magazine....

I think it's on the newsstand, by now.... I got mine in the mail about last Thursday, I think.

What an impressive job he did... home-brew intake, offset-ground stroker crank, fuel injection, and the car looks great!

The article is easily worth the price of the magazine....

I will look for it. Thanks Bill

-
Back