what is the best paint

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
the last time I painted a car was 1972 and lacquer was cheep. now I see all different types on the market and they are all expensive. I am restoring a 65 cuda. and can't really decide on the color. The original color is a dark brown,
not so nice. My second choice was a petty blue. Kyle Petty is a neighbor and offered the paint. My son who just turned 16 wants to drive the car and wants to do a competition orange. So you see my problem. With the price of paint the petty blue will more than likely win out. Any ideas out there? Whats the difference in the different types of paint and what type would any of you suggest? The petty blue is a urethane paint and was told it would do a good job. I've got to much time on my hands and to much time to think. As always thanks for your help.
thanks
Tommy

i am ot a pro body man but i really like base/clear. when you look at the paint the depth is unbelievable. its pretty forgiving for a novice to apply too. my buddy swears by imron. he swears its the tuffest thing around. i know ive heard you have to buff it withing a few hours of application or forget it.

Comparing to paints from the 72 time frame Acrylic Urethanes spray as easy as a lacquer and have the gloss out of the gun that is better than an enamel. Base / Clear is definately the way to go if you decide on a metallic color but for a solid color like Petty Blue a single stage is fine. My car was orginally painted with base / clear Sub-Lime and since i have done some spot repairs with single stage since then and you can't tell where the repairs were made. So if you go Petty Blue or your son's choice of Competition Orange you are not going to give away anything by not going base / clear.

I normally use Dupont products because I can get them a couple of miles from the house. In the Acrylic Urethanes their premium line is Chroma and their second tier products carry the Nason name. In most cases the Nason line will be 1/2 the cost of the Chroma.

Imron is an epoxy paint Dupont developed for aircraft usage. It is much more durable, is less forgiving to use, costs even more than the Acrylic Urethanes and has the highest potential health hazard of all the paints used in automotive applications.

Imron is an epoxy paint Dupont developed for aircraft usage. It is much more durable, is less forgiving to use, costs even more than the Acrylic Urethanes and has the highest potential health hazard of all the paints used in automotive applications.

DuPont™ Imron® Is a Polyurethane Enamel

I stand corrected. I was always under the impression it was an epoxy, must be from the days when anything that required a catalyst to cure was lumped into the category of an epoxy.

I'd have to say Imron is the best. If you follow the directions exactly, good results can be obtained. I always shot in a booth that was sealed and temp controlled, so I have no experience with air dry. Once cured it is tough and tolerates temperature extremes really well. We could pull large dents out of wings and not crack Imron.

Wish I had Kyle giving me paint for the Demon. I'm having it shot with PPG Omni. (Not shooting my own because I don't have access to the paint booth any more.) Have used PPG Deltron in the past with good results.

There are some guys here who seem to prefer Dupont auto finishes. Personally, I've had better accuracy with PPG making colors from a paint code than I have with my Dupont distributor. Would recommend a mid-line, two-step, color and clear coat of any major mfg (PPG, DuPont, Sherwin-Williams, Sikkens) to give a good, durable finish at a respectable price point. While good paint helps, there's no substitute for good surface prep.

FYI - Imron uses HDI biuret chemistry which is good, but actually a base clear system - using a mix of IPDI trimer and HDI trimer is better - used in the clear coat. You can buy knock off systems of the big boys from Transtar and Matrix for less $ and equal performance. I work in this industry and have pretty intimate knowledge.

I also am a A.S.E. Master Collision & Refinish tech.. I-car Gold as well.
There is really no way to tell you whats the best product. There are many!! Standox, Spies/Hecker, DuPont, PPG, Sherwin Williams, R&M and so on. It all depends on each painter.

I prefer PPG basecoat due to its coverage. I LOVE DuPont Chroma Premier clearcoat! Inter-mixing is NOT recommended!! I have used all of the above and they all are good systems!

On cheaper jobs i will use Shopline by PPG basecoats and PPG 2021 clearcoat. The c/c runs around $200-250 a gallon down here. I got a gallon of Shopline b/c in "Q1 Blue" for $100. It covers well!

Don't forget primers and sealers too!! ALWAYS SEAL IT B4 U SHOOT IT!!

Isocyanates are very dangerous to your health. Be sure to wear proper safety clothing and a good chemical respirator. O! Put good rubber gloves on.

:bootysha: Be sure to follow local EPA regulations :-D
"IDUNNO NUTN"

Here is a pic of a Bee i just completed for a good friend. I used Shopline b/c and PPG4000 c/c on it. The hood and scoop are done in PPG Black Sealer. Looks nice for a Garage paint job:-D

joes bee.jpg

In my opinion, Glasurit is the best paint line out there. Spendy as hell, but they are the best. I'd have to rank PPG second, RM Diamont is ok for production, that's why a lot of motorhome manufactures use it. If it's good enough for Ferrari, it's good enough for me.

I just finished painting my Duster, using DuPont chromaBase and 7900S ChromaClear. I'm very pleased. Easy to use, and high quality, especially the clear.

Paint Pics

I've Painted for over 20 years, Started in the Lacquer days, Base Coat is the best way to go. If you get dust you can easily sand and polish it out, if you get a scratch or damage you can blend with metallic paint and it will come out looking good. The top brands have good UV hold out. As the saying goes perspiration in your preparation will get you a good paint finish. As far as brands, all the top names mentioned so far are good.
Most painters will tell you there favorite, because its what their used
to I prefer PPG I know what I can get out of the product. Painting is like
driving a standard you gotta know how much gloss you can get out of
a paint before you get runs. Each brand flows or sets up differently
so once you get used to a brand you tend to stick with it. If you have someone paint it for you they will probably have their preference.

thanks to all for the advice and knowledge on paint and paint products. I need all the help I can get. This is my first total restoration. My 16 year old son is really excited to help and learn so I really want to teach him the correct way to do things. Actually I think he just wants to get through so he can go cruise Main Street in a really hot 65 barracuda. Come to think of it maybe thats what I want to do.
Thanks again
Tommy

In my opinion, Glasurit is the best paint line out there. Spendy as hell, but they are the best. I'd have to rank PPG second, RM Diamont is ok for production, that's why a lot of motorhome manufactures use it. If it's good enough for Ferrari, it's good enough for me.

I agree, I've always used Glasurit and have painted several 40 year old land rovers with it. The land rovers I painted were then driven through and over trees to the remote ends of the Canadian wilderness and I could almost always polish scratches out. The stuff stands up!

-
Back