What is the horse power benefits

-
Tom, i'm curious. how has the molnar stuff been holding up?

I've sold it for almost 20-years and I've never had one customer or myself ever have any issues with their products.

I sell Molnar because I feel they offer the best quality made with the correct tolerances of any of the overseas made components.

They also install their Molnar proprietary made ARP2000 bolts and hone to final size in Michigan.

Tom

I've sold it for almost 20-years and I've never had one customer or myself ever have any issues with their products.

I sell Molnar because I feel they offer the best quality made with the correct tolerances of any of the overseas made components.

They also install their Molnar proprietary made ARP2000 bolts and hone to final size in Michigan.

Tom
wow... i didn't know they have been around that long... or do work in michigan, that makes me happy :)

but if all you are going to use is the block and timing cover and replace the rest of it, is the magnum a better block? i want to build one in the next year or so and would rather start out decent.. i want to keep la oiling since i have the top end already is the main thing..
Well they all have roller camshafts, true 9:1 compression, better rings, better heads, don’t leak water out of the exhaust manifold bolt jackets, seal better on intakes, valve covers. The 5.2 camshaft is a better decent RV grind as well

Well they all have roller camshafts, true 9:1 compression, better rings, better heads, don’t leak water out of the exhaust manifold bolt jackets, seal better on intakes, valve covers. The 5.2 camshaft is a better decent RV grind as well

k.. i only plan on using a block, just wanted to make sure there wasn't something bout that.. i have LA roller right now but only 318.. keeping a eye out for a 360 roller, there is a 1990 near me for $300 but has magnum heads so not sure if it would have the la oil holes drilled.. guy could also be wrong on the year.. not sure what year the magnum came out

360s are very available and cheap
not here.. i check daily.. can get 440s with trans for 700, people want over 1k for a 360 if they pop up... i find plenty in other states though just nothing near me.. i'm not in a rush.. getting the car sorted first, just planning ahead

but if all you are going to use is the block and timing cover and replace the rest of it, is the magnum a better block?
Only because it’s newer.
i want to build one in the next year or so and would rather start out decent.. i want to keep la oiling since i have the top end already is the main thing..

Ether drill the passage or like in the case of most serious heads, use pushrod oiling. Rockers for this set up can be purchased for standard Edelbrock heads.

Well they all have roller camshafts,
Easily done for a LA and any serious roller will need work done to the blocks oiling passages anyway.
true 9:1 compression,
OK @ best for the street.
better rings,
Doesn’t apply
better heads,
Marginally better and good for use of not cracked (or you don’t care about it, I didn’t!) and on a stroker, mostly ridiculous.
don’t leak water out of the exhaust manifold bolt jackets,

I like that!

seal better on intakes,
Doesn’t apply
valve covers.
I like the 10 bolts though I have never had an issue with the LA’s 5.
The 5.2 camshaft is a better decent RV grind as well
Arguable
k.. i only plan on using a block, just wanted to make sure there wasn't something bout that.. i have LA roller right now but only 318.. keeping a eye out for a 360 roller, there is a 1990 near me for $300 but has magnum heads so not sure if it would have the la oil holes drilled.. guy could also be wrong on the year.. not sure what year the magnum came out
Should be an easy check out. Bring a breaker bar, small extension and the right socket and whip off a head!

Personally the only advantage to using a Magnum block is a factory roller cam, but I don't like the way Magnum engines oil.

I'll take the old LA oiling system any day of the week.

Tom

Personally the only advantage to using a Magnum block is a factory roller cam, but I don't like the way Magnum engines oil.

I'll take the old LA oiling system any day of the week.

Tom
Interesting. Blueprint Engines builds their 408 strokers on the Magnum 360 block with hyd roller cam. They have an excellent warranty for the build as well. Wonder if they mod the oiling. @JohnnyMac

Why use an RV grind...in a street car?

Why use an RV grind...in a street car?

A slight increase in duration affords a good jump in torque without the need of extra stall in the converter and a few hundred more rpm’s with often not adversely effecting gas mileage.

I have a 5.2 Magnum I want to build. I'm not worried about gas mileage. I do like the improved torque and stock converter idea. I'm looking at aftermarket heads and intake with AVS carb as per the Magnum Swap site, as well as going to LA accessories. The stock cam is a little rough, so I'm thinking a regrind from Oregon. Any ideas on the specs for a better than average build in say a 72 Demon with a 904 and 3.55 Suregrip?

I have a 5.2 Magnum I want to build. I'm not worried about gas mileage. I do like the improved torque and stock converter idea. I'm looking at aftermarket heads and intake with AVS carb as per the Magnum Swap site, as well as going to LA accessories. The stock cam is a little rough, so I'm thinking a regrind from Oregon. Any ideas on the specs for a better than average build in say a 72 Demon with a 904 and 3.55 Suregrip?

A better than average build with a reground cam? W/3.55’s?
Not happening. Not possible.

Speak with Oregon cams. They’ll set you up with something along the lines of a cam of 226@050 with more lift.

If you choose an OEM AVS, you’ll need the MoPar dual plane intake which if it’s actually found (LMAO!) it’ll cost you big bucks.
Use an Exelbrock AVS II

You’ll only find aftermarket heads worth in the top end and not by much. Just a FWIW note. Not discouraging you now.

If I was doing a 5.2 to be better than average, I would punch it out to a 327 (.060 over bore.) Use the domed KB pistons w/an edelbrock Magnum head bowl ported/short side work, RPM, 750 Holley,1-3/4 headers and a wall solid roller with as much lift as the head flows if possible.

My father says, "I got more money than brains" and my old boss used to say "You ain't worth a f*#k, but sure can take an *** chewin, so I'll keep you around". That said, I'm not easily discouraged.

Post of the day right there.:)
My father says, "I got more money than brains" and my old boss used to say "You ain't worth a f*#k, but sure can take an *** chewin, so I'll keep you around". That said, I'm not easily discouraged.

-
Back