What is the largest tire that will fit a wagon?

-

az426hemi

Reaction score
What is the biggest tire that any of you guys have under the rear of your wagon.

Can they be mini tubbed? I am hoping to be able to put a 275/60 under it.

I am looking at a 64 Valiant wagon to use as a tow vehicle for my 63 Dart strip car. I want it to look similiar to the 63 Tempest 421 SD factory race car.

Thanks,
Mike

I think the wagon is the same as the other models when it comes to tire clearence. A lot will depend on how centered your rear axle is. Even dead centered, I don't think a 275/60/14 tire (if you can even find that size anymore) will fit under it without doing some tub work. The widest 60 series tire that will fit under mine is a 225 without worrying about clipping the side walls on a hard corner.

I have ran a custom 7 inch rim on my '65 dart wagon... I you have the right offset you can run an 8 inch. You can get more tire under the wagon than you can a Valiant or Cuda because the wheel well is round, but if you want to run a tall tire you may need ss springs or something to lift the rear a bit, especially if you are going to tow with it.

Also Mike, you probably already know this but make sure you have brakes on your trailer since the wagon is so light and has TINY brakes on it... Just recalling some of my own stupidity when I was younger... :)

Any pics of the wagon Rocky? I have been wondering how big I want to go on the tires. Running stock 13s now. Had 14s in the rear when I got it and the front would hit any speed bumps.

-
Back