What is the most desirable year for the Dart?

-
Ignoring the now unaffordable & then unavailable to the general public, '68 HEMI Dart, I'd have to say '69. It was the only year the 440 could be ordered by Joe Mopar.

the 69 GTS had everything JUST RIGHT

best looking grill & taillights, interior was beautiful, could be had with 340, 383 or 440 power from factory

best stripe package, bulged hoods with engine callout

doesn't get any better than that

and I still want one

X2 -With the exeption of an original '68 S/S Hemi Dart. But I agree the '69 styling had it all!

69 GTS is my favorite....could never find one around here so ended up with 71. Happy to have it.

1968 because it could of been a killer dart with a (factory) hemi , for the common man 73-76 for the big bolt pattern and front disc brake's ...

I say '68, hands down.....and I own a '69! 68's have the best grille with the round turn signals, coolest round side marker lights (only 1 year). I actually think the '69 taillights are a little cleaner looking though, but the '68's are still bad ***. '68's and '69's are so similar, it's barely worth contesting.

Ok, some of you have brought up the M code 69 440 Darts. Very fine pieces indeed... And very rare...

But if you're going to go there, then I have to bring up the 68 Dart GSS.

This was the car that "embarrassed" Chrysler to make the 69 M code 440's from the factory. I met a guy that had one of the 50 made when I was younger, named Don Rose. Lost touch with him. But he showed me his 68 Dart GSS. An original Mr. Norm conversion. Mr. Norm ordered 68 Dart GTS with 383's and then put crate 440's in them. Then took the "t" out of GTS and replaced it with a red outlined "S" to make the "GSS" which stood for "Grand Spaulding Special". I believe that he only made 50 of these in 68. Chrysler told the public that the 440 wouldn't fit in a Dart. Mr. Norm proved them wrong, then they made the M code 440 Darts from the factory in 69. If it wasn't for Mr. Norm proving them wrong, there may not have been an M code 440 Dart in 69 from the factory. Of course power steering could not fit under the hood, so they were all manual steering cars. Nothing like a nose heavy Dart with a big block and manual steering. As long as you stick to the 1/4 mile, you should be ok....

191,986 Darts were built in 1970. The highest of all the years so I guess thats the right answer.

But I agree with cudavert, the round turn signals on the 68 make them the baddest of the bunch.

After reading the OP again there is no mention of engine or different options.I think he is asking what single year/s model is most sought after by the general public.I know its hard to seperate personal opinon.So heres my view of what I think the OP is asking.
1 general public:Nearly everyone I tell I have a 70 dart says "I knew a guy with a 340 swinger and it was the baddest car I ever seen/been in).So from my experiance the 70" is the most reconized year,removing the 340 aspect the car is still known.
2 collectors/car guys:Most car guys apperiate the earlier years more than the average guy and the 68" stands out from the "hemi" option.
What I'm getting at is the general public sets the disreablity and value of cars not car guys.For instance look at the charger 68-70 had very few changes but the 69 is the wholy grail of muscle cars because the general public seen it on "THE DUKES OF HAZZARD" and it became an icon and really jump started the mopar craze,before that you could still get a 70 hemi cuda without donating a few internal organs.
So trying not to be biased I think the most sought after year is 1970 in the swinger and 71 in the demon,OP didn't specify which dart.

After reading the OP again there is no mention of engine or different options.I think he is asking what single year/s model is most sought after by the general public.I know its hard to seperate personal opinon.So heres my view of what I think the OP is asking.
1 general public:Nearly everyone I tell I have a 70 dart says "I knew a guy with a 340 swinger and it was the baddest car I ever seen/been in).So from my experiance the 70" is the most reconized year,removing the 340 aspect the car is still known.
2 collectors/car guys:Most car guys apperiate the earlier years more than the average guy and the 68" stands out from the "hemi" option.
What I'm getting at is the general public sets the disreablity and value of cars not car guys.For instance look at the charger 68-70 had very few changes but the 69 is the wholy grail of muscle cars because the general public seen it on "THE DUKES OF HAZZARD" and it became an icon and really jump started the mopar craze,before that you could still get a 70 hemi cuda without donating a few internal organs.
So trying not to be biased I think the most sought after year is 1970 in the swinger and 71 in the demon,OP didn't specify which dart.

While I agree with most of what your saying, I sort of disagree about the 340 thing.. When people say 'I knew a guy with a 340 swinger..' it might not be a 70 or 71... they had 340 swingers in 69... lol.. but I do agree that most people I talk to always seem to gravitate to the 70 Dart...

I don't have one but I say the 1969 340 Swinger

Attachments

• Shelby-Z 293 (Medium).JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 171
  • Shelby-Z 294 (Medium).JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 185
69 m coded Dart in my inclosed trailor off the hill on tour for me

I like the 71 because that's what my paw paw had and got me turned on to Mopars.

-
Back