What is this?!?!? and a tach question...

-

myasylum

Reaction score
I removed my instrument cluster and I found this thing. It's mounted on the drivers side front quarter. You can see the fuse box right in front of it. I ask, because the bottom ground wire wasn't ever attached to it. I just attached it now, and I don't know what it is for?
Nice place for a speaker too huh? :) Don't ask me?? It was there!

Also, for my tach... It says to "attach the white wire to the dimmer wire". Well... There seems to be like 6 of them! Which one would I attach it too?
See... When I hooked it up the first time, I just thought... "It's a tach, I don't care about the dimmer anyway." So I left the wire bare. Then I noticed it had no light at all! so maybe the dimmer wire has to be attached for the tach light to work at all??

O.k. thanks! Any and all help would be appreciated! :)

The "What is this" pic...

Whatsthis.jpg

i thought that was the horn relay. but not sure. what year make and model vehicle?

73 duster

Do you know where that white wire on the tach might go? What dimmer wire?

Thanks!

Usualy the tach lite wire would hook to the orange wire in the wire harness.The orange wire is the dash lite wiring from the head lite switch.

I think that thing might be the seat belt buzzer. Often disconnected.

Ah! That could be!! I'd better disconnect it again! 8)

any idea what that is above it? Just wondering???

What tach are you using? On a basic tach you'll have power, ground, lighting and sender. Some will have a shift light wire as well. Red would got to power, black to ground and white to the lighting circuit. If you are looking for the dimmer circuit a test meter will find it fast by dropping the needle when the dash is dimmed. You can easily test all the wires to find one to tap into.

That's assuming I read your question right.I just went through this myself... kinda daunting.

The white plastic thingy at top of pic is the buzzard. The metal can circled is probably the horn relay.

i just installed my tach and i just piggy backed it to a fuse that would lose power when key was off seems to work fine but i am no expert so if someone sees it as a bad thing please respond

-
Back