What is this module?

-

larrym

Reaction score
1971 Demon 340 show car, with this module on the inner fender, I believe it may be some sort of alarm or theft deterrent. Any ideas what it might be? There's a note in the console from the previous owner that the car is alarmed and if it won't start push the button...I can't find any buttons and the previous owner is not available! I realise this is a long shot but thanks in advance.

IMG_8695.jpeg

IMG_8694.jpeg

Voltage regulator. It does not belong there originally, but it is "fine" there The odd thing is the other connector which appears to be a Mopar ECU/ factory breakerless ignition module connector. Almost looks like they are using part of that wiring for the VR. No idea

Mopar 70/ later voltage regulator:

312-P3690731.jpg

71? Likely the alternator was updated to 72 & later also? Definitely not an alarm.

71? Likely the alternator was updated to 72 & later also? Definitely not an alarm.
Whut? Alternator might be the same from 70 on up, certainly the VR. If the alternator is round or squareback, does not matter so long as it's "isolated field"

Thanks for the replies. Here's a photo of the connector attached to it, I have no idea what year these parts are or what alternator is installed. The dist is an MSD 8534 if that means anything. Is that VR a MOPAR part? Thanks again

IMG_8697.jpeg

IMG_8696.jpeg

You just gonna keep holdin the piece of meat in front of us or can we get some pictures of the whole car?

Yep is a factory voltage regulator but should on the other side. The other 5-pin connecter is for the factory electronic ignition which is not being used if it has an MSD.

The button could be up under dash it will more than likely be a small momentary switch. Maybe like this. If the note is in the console it could be in there as well. Sharp looking ride too.

625D8CBB-C659-40E9-A6FD-69E401C12E66.jpeg

Thanks for the replies. Here's a photo of the connector attached to it, I have no idea what year these parts are or what alternator is installed. The dist is an MSD 8534 if that means anything. Is that VR a MOPAR part? Thanks again

View attachment 1715936685

View attachment 1715936686
Yup unused connector for Mopar breakerless ignition, you are using "something else."

About the only advice I have on a security system, is take a good look at what you judge to be OEM style wiring connectors, and then for "something quite different." The security system won't look anything like the OEM harness

Beautiful Demon. What's not clear is if the button is a kill switch or alarm, or both. If it's a kill switch it probably looks like post #16. My MSD box has an option for a kill switch so you might want to look for a wire going into the car through the firewall or (depending where it's mounted) from it. You then find your ignition box wiring diagram used in your car . My 6AL uses a white wire as a kill switch. You simply wire one side of the hidden switch to ground inside the car and it disables the distributor at the points or pickup coil (whichever you're using).

Last edited:
Just wondering. Have you found the alarm module it might have a switch installed on it or in the wiring. It's most likely on the driver side under the dash.

Does that fan actually cool the engine properly? I've seen lots of problems here locally using those things.

Looks like the Vreg cable is separate from that unused 5-pin ECU connector and they just run the two in the same split-loom. They are probably using a different spark module, perhaps MSD or GM HEI, maybe a Pertronix Ignitor under the distributor cap or even an after-market distributor. The security switch is likely in the cabin, in reach of the driver. If a momentary push-button, then likely on the starter wire (yell). If an on-off switch, then likely on the IGN wire (dk blu or grn, forget).

-
Back