What is this

-
looks like the button you push to start your car without the seat belts hooked up

Im not seeing anything on those diagrams and Ive checked out other ones, nothing! Im kinda surprised that this may be a optional item on cars since not everyone has one. I just assumed it was stock on all vehicles.

Interesting that Logan also has it and its not hooked up. Obviously this part is not needed for the function of the car.

Logan, do you have A/C in your car and does it work? I believe it has something to do with that since, just trying to figure out if it has to do with that.

I have it also (little bit difirent look) on my 72 318 ac duster.

I dont know what it is, but would like to know, if it is part of ac i could remove it because i just removed ac.

After searching for 1971 AC relays it looks like this could be an AC relay with a different, maybe smog state, mount?

Control/Solenoid/Vacuum Switch for a NOx system.......ding ding ding !

Check for code N95 (Calif NOx emissions)

Found info about it, just trying to figure what's easiest to bring here........
I googled and i believe these two pics are from Moparts. Still unable to find a "A" body emission diagram. There were other parts in these systems as well depending on a few factors. Most of the others are probably gone already.

Similar valve??? It's from a 71' Chally though.
View attachment 14233.jpg

This was the mounting area on a 71' Cuda.......
View attachment 1144.jpg

AWESOME!!!!:blob::blob::blob::blob: Yep for sure dumping that dumb little item! Nice to finally have a for sure answer! That one in the pic is very close to mine and mounting location almost the same. By the way I do have a N95 on my tag.

Thank you!!!

AWESOME!!!!:blob::blob::blob::blob: Yep for sure dumping that dumb little item! Nice to finally have a for sure answer! That one in the pic is very close to mine and mounting location almost the same. By the way I do have a N95 on my tag.

Thank you!!!

Cool! Glad we figured it out......was driving me nuts, lol. Guess my memory wasn't as bad as i thought when i said i didn't remember it on mine? I'm sure mine was a east coast car. I'll bet there was some other goodies like that on it though :mrgreen:. It wasn't a hot rod to me, just a driver. Paid $1100 in the 77'ish range and was offered $1400 out of know where a few months later.........I got $1450 and away it went...lol. Wish i had it back right now though :D.

It is the OSAC valve. Yep, it's part of the emissions control system.

The OSAC valve has been used since the early 1970s to delay the distibutor's vacuum advance for about 15 seconds during acceleration. The OSAC valve is on the air cleaner (pre-1974 models had it on the firewall!) . One hose runs from the vacuum of the distributor to the valve, the other from the valve to the carb. Running the hose from straight past the valve will eliminate its limitations, and compensate for a bad valve.

Original is at Engine emissions systems - how they work and why http://www.allpar.com/mopar/emissions.html#ixzz2KTgBWC1X
Follow us: @allparcom on Twitter | allparcom on Facebook

So pull it, block the vacuum connections from it to the distributor and carb, and have fun. PM me where I can pick up my winnings. Need the money for family reunion on September 31.

This thread seems messed up... last time I looked at it, there were more entries??

Anyway, I think I know what this is. If the temp behind the firewall is 'cold' and there's no vacuum, it disingages the compressor clutch for max power.

If someone has the thingy that turns on a turn signal when you put your foot in it, PM me. I want one or two.

-
Back