what is this ???

-
I have seen this in several gaskit kits over the years. I always wondered what it was.
That being said, I have dissasembled sevral engines, alot that has never been into, & not seen this behind a dampner.
Anybody ever run across this in tear down?

i sure wouldnt want that thing coming apart and getting in my pick-up tube

to the trash xs3

Goes on the outside of the timing cover just behind the balancer. My 318 has one and the dampner has a little tin cover behind it that that piece sits in and rides along the front of the seal. I'm actually thinking of using the one I have. Might even sop up any oil residue that rears its ugly head...at least for a while. :)

I always wondered, now I know.

It's a piece to collect a bit of oil seepage and then some dust and dirt.......
Use it instead to keep thumb tacks and push pins in a common location!

How ironic. Just sold a newer Fel Pro timing cover kit,to a customer this week. First time,I opened up a kit,and seen it. Just don't recall them,in 20 years of basic Mopardom.

I have seen the cup behind the balancer but never knew there was something that went in it! Swear some of those round ring gaskets are in there just to keep the bigger and smaller ones attached. Leaves you scratching your head, "WTF does this go????"

I opened my timing cover gasket set, saw this, scratched my head and then trashed it. All its good for in my eyes is a scrubbie for when you wash your hands and don't wanna ruin a sponge after you do your timing cover. In the entire time I worked at the junkyard and saw more small blocks than I could count, I never saw one with one on it

When I assembled my 318 I actualy tried to install it,but it was such a tight fit I thought it would wipe out the seal so I left it out.

new one for me, never seen one on disassembly nor in any gasket kits in the past..
But it's been well over 8 years for me, Creed went threw my 360 and I did not see one in our kit jut 3 years ago from NAPA. I agree, looks like a good coaster for a frosted mug :coffee2:

I put one on recently on my 273 re-gasket. No problems yet.

On a side note, a similar felt washer was used "in" the timing cover of my Studebaker V8. It along with a oil spinner was the front seal. I replaced it more than 30 years ago. Recently in a re-gasket for water pump and oil pan, I found it was completely gone, not a single fiber! There was no residue in engine. I think little bugs took it to build nests. Wool does not rot, so it might be something like that.

I have several original dampers here with them still inside. They could be from trucks. These have been being used as long as I can remember. If I were to say when they would help is a truck or a any engine used in a dirty environment . It keeps the road dirt from building up in front of the seal and prevents premature wear.

I never thought of using it for seepage collection from the seal. good idea. When ever you take them out, They are oil soaked.

-
Back