What is this?

-

Peepers

Reaction score
Any idea what this is and where I can get a wiring diagram for it? Or should I just get rid of it and wire everything like in the diagram.

2283B469-B484-447D-93DB-90C52AAA7057.jpeg

I believe it was made by carter and was added to cars to help with emissions possibly in the late 60's. I doubt it's in working order. However a neat bit of nostalgia there. If it was me I'd remove it.

It’s tied into the temp sensor and I’m not sure what else. I know when I bought the car 3 weeks ago it was a rats nest and half the wires had been eaten through

I thought they used a temp sensor on the upper rad hose. Either way it was for emissions and defiantly not for performance or economy. I think it did away with the vacuum advance as well and the car was tuned for minimum idle mixture. Someone else on here probably knows more about it.

Exactly what that is. These came out in just before I got out of the Navy in 74 and left San Diego (NAS Miramar.) I had a part time job at the auto hobby shop. CA required them to be added on some models and older cars. The simplest one was a disaster for stuff like 55 Chevs. The simple one was a pair of carb idle screw caps, two vacuum caps, and a tube of slime green silicone rubber. You removed the dist. vacuum advance hose and threw it away, and capped off the vacuum. Them you adjusted the timing way WAY back retard, you leaned out the carb until it would barely run, and then capped the idle screws and glued them on with the green silicone

"Your gobt" at work

The difference in the carter kit is that it sensed when the engine got too hot, and turned the vacuum advance on to advance and cool down the engine.

Exactly what that is. These came out in just before I got out of the Navy in 74 and left San Diego (NAS Miramar.) I had a part time job at the auto hobby shop. CA required them to be added on some models and older cars. The simplest one was a disaster for stuff like 55 Chevs. The simple one was a pair of carb idle screw caps, two vacuum caps, and a tube of slime green silicone rubber. You removed the dist. vacuum advance hose and threw it away, and capped off the vacuum. Them you adjusted the timing way WAY back retard, you leaned out the carb until it would barely run, and then capped the idle screws and glued them on with the green silicone

"Your gobt" at work

The difference in the carter kit is that it sensed when the engine got too hot, and turned the vacuum advance on to advance and cool down the engine.

Thanks for the reply good to know. So what I gather is remove it.

"Your gobt" at work

so...that's why 70s cars ran like dogs...:)

Last edited:
Garbage even when they worked. remember the open "EGR" ports at the bottom of stock intakes?

Garbage even when they worked. remember the open "EGR" ports at the bottom of stock intakes?
That was another argument I got into on here. Some claimed that 72 never had EGR. I have a manifold!!!

remember the open "EGR" ports at the bottom of stock intakes?
Oh yeah! The first manifold I sold here was a '73 340 with a pair of stainless plugs in the floor with a .040 inch or so orifice drilled through them. If there was ever a reason to need a 14 heat range (maybe even higher) champion spark plug, that would probably be it...

my cali history has been 65 didnt require ****, that was the cut off for a long time..at least since 1985. I cant imagine a 55 needing anything as I had a 57 Ford that had nothing on it, stock including the wide open downdraft tube ventilation system.

The worst were those STP systems where you had to drill and tap into the exhaust to install a fitting for a valve. So many nice stock manifolds got ruined by those POS kits.

-
Back